Jul 5, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
There’s little Tony Kanaan of KV Racing Technology – SH has yet to experience in his illustrious IZOD IndyCar Series career.
But until the last couple weeks, Pocono Raceway in an IndyCar was one of them.
“TK” was one of 14 drivers to test last week after Iowa in the No. 11 Sunoco/”Turbo” Chevrolet ahead of this weekend’s Pocono INDYCAR 400 Fueled by Sunoco. He and the team took relative “big swings” a week ago – as much tweaking as can be done within the confines of IndyCar’s current spec Dallara DW12 chassis.
“Of course, we tried a bunch of things last week. We used last week’s test for the things I call the big things. Things that will take a long time to change,” said the Indianapolis 500 champion. “I can’t get into much detail but they’re changes in the car that will take a couple hours sometimes for you to figure out. And we had a list of three of those that I went through during that day and then we went back to the shop to evaluate those and chose the best that we thought when we came back. It was definitely helpful.”
Kanaan, who ended Thursday’s test day second at 219.802 in 124 laps, adds Pocono to the list of nearly 50 race circuits he’s competed on since his rookie year in CART of 1998.
“The biggest thing I would say for me is it took me (so long); you know it’s funny I have been in America for so long now and racing in INDYCAR for 14 years, you figured you have learned every single track and you’ve been to every single track,” said Kanaan. “And all of the sudden we came to a track that I hadn’t raced yet. It took me a little while to learn the track. They don’t call it the tricky tri-oval for nothing. I got here, I drove my rental car around and said ‘Eh, it’s not that bad.’ And then I got in my Indy car and I’m like ‘OK.’ So it took me a few laps to get the confidence and to learn a lit bit about this track.”
Kanaan finished in the top three in both prior races in the Sunoco and “Turbo” colors. No pressure, then, this weekend given the implications and that a win in the second leg of the Fuzzy’s Triple Crown could give him a shot at $1 million in October .
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)