Jul 5, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
There’s little Tony Kanaan of KV Racing Technology – SH has yet to experience in his illustrious IZOD IndyCar Series career.
But until the last couple weeks, Pocono Raceway in an IndyCar was one of them.
“TK” was one of 14 drivers to test last week after Iowa in the No. 11 Sunoco/”Turbo” Chevrolet ahead of this weekend’s Pocono INDYCAR 400 Fueled by Sunoco. He and the team took relative “big swings” a week ago – as much tweaking as can be done within the confines of IndyCar’s current spec Dallara DW12 chassis.
“Of course, we tried a bunch of things last week. We used last week’s test for the things I call the big things. Things that will take a long time to change,” said the Indianapolis 500 champion. “I can’t get into much detail but they’re changes in the car that will take a couple hours sometimes for you to figure out. And we had a list of three of those that I went through during that day and then we went back to the shop to evaluate those and chose the best that we thought when we came back. It was definitely helpful.”
Kanaan, who ended Thursday’s test day second at 219.802 in 124 laps, adds Pocono to the list of nearly 50 race circuits he’s competed on since his rookie year in CART of 1998.
“The biggest thing I would say for me is it took me (so long); you know it’s funny I have been in America for so long now and racing in INDYCAR for 14 years, you figured you have learned every single track and you’ve been to every single track,” said Kanaan. “And all of the sudden we came to a track that I hadn’t raced yet. It took me a little while to learn the track. They don’t call it the tricky tri-oval for nothing. I got here, I drove my rental car around and said ‘Eh, it’s not that bad.’ And then I got in my Indy car and I’m like ‘OK.’ So it took me a few laps to get the confidence and to learn a lit bit about this track.”
Kanaan finished in the top three in both prior races in the Sunoco and “Turbo” colors. No pressure, then, this weekend given the implications and that a win in the second leg of the Fuzzy’s Triple Crown could give him a shot at $1 million in October .
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1