Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. IMSA: Action Express dominates Indy; Hawksworth wins on debut

Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

AxIMSWin Getty Images

Action Express wins Indy; RSR, Viper and Ferrari the other TUDOR Championship class winners.

2. Red Bull GRC enters heart of stock car country for season’s 5th event

Jul 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GRCLogo

After Tanner Foust emerged as the victor of a riotous final in New York, the beat goes on for Red Bull GRC this weekend with a trip to The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

3. NASCAR America: Jimmie Johnson easy pick for Brickyard

Jul 25, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

2014 brickyard 400 logo

On Friday’s edition, the NASCAR America crew discussed the favorites for Sunday’s Brickyard 400. And not surprisingly, Jimmie Johnson is the easy pick — but there are a few other drivers who could contend.

4. NASCAR America: Jimmie Johnson looking for fifth Brickyard win

Jul 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

On Friday’s edition of NASCAR America, Sam Hornish Jr. joined Leigh Diffey to discuss Jimmie Johnson’s quest for his fifth Brickyard 400 win. Hornish noted that Johnson’s first win at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a positive turning point for his team.

5. NASCAR America: Clint Bowyer talks keys to winning Chase

Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

(Photo: Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Friday’s NASCAR America, Clint Bowyer talked about handling Indianapolis Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s 21st annual Brickyard 400, as well as his teams’ improvement and his hopes of getting into and winning the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

6. Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power go looking for fun, wind up with ‘Sex Tape’

Jul 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

sex tape

After a long day of testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Penske Racing teammates Juan Pablo Montoya and Will Power went to see a movie Wednesday in Mansfield, Ohio. Check out Montoya’s hilarious tale about what they saw.

7. Kurt Busch: No talks yet on a second Indy-Charlotte double

Jul 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Kurt Busch AP

“Every day I wake up and I’m like, ‘Yes, let’s do it again.’ Then there are thoughts of ‘I finished sixth, that’s pretty special.’ I don’t know if I could achieve that result again.” – Outlaw

8. Brickyard owes Juan Pablo Montoya one, but will it pay off Sunday?

Jul 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Darron Cummings) AP

INDIANAPOLIS – Juan Pablo Montoya has twice come close to winning the Brickyard 400, only to suffer maladies that kept him from kissing the finish line bricks at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in celebration.

9. Got questions about life? “Bartender Brad” Keselowski’s here to help (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT

Aaron's 499 - Practice Getty Images

The former Sprint Cup champion steps behind the counter and serves up cold ones…Of truth.

10. Everyone worried about a Kenseth win — except Matt himself

Jul 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT

kenseth indy AP

INDIANAPOLIS — Everyone seems to be concerned Matt Kenseth hasn’t won a race thus far in 2014 – everyone, that is, except Kenseth himself.

11. Jimmie Johnson remembers early Brickyard struggles

Jul 25, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT

Geico 400 - Practice Getty Images

The four-time Brickyard 400 champion says he had to go against his “natural tendencies” as a driver in order to become as successful as he has been at Indy.

12. Hungarian GP Paddock Notebook – Friday

Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

All of the latest news and analysis from the paddock at the Hungaroring.

13. Vettel: Red Bull may be closer to Mercedes this weekend

Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

Red Bull leading the race for the podium in Hungary, but Ricciardo still has some concerns.

14. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 pm ET — Hornish on nuances of Indy, JJ and Bowyer, Indiana racing history

Jul 25, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

140725-NASCAR-AMERICA

On Friday’s edition of NASCAR America, Leigh Diffey will again be joined in-studio by 2006 Indianapolis 500 winner and 2014 Nationwide Series Iowa winner Sam Hornish Jr.

15. Hamilton and Rosberg both struggling in Hungary

Jul 25, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

P1 and P2 in both practice sessions, but not 100% where they want to be.

16. Ryan Newman says he’d add Wednesday night races to Sprint Cup calendar

Jul 25, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Camping World RV Sales 301 - Qualifying Getty Images

Defending Brickyard 400 winner would push for mid-week races if he were in charge of creating the Sprint Cup schedule.

17. Matt Kenseth fastest in Friday’s Sprint Cup practice at Indy

Jul 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

(Photo: Rainier Ehrhardt/Getty Images) Getty Images

INDIANAPOLIS – Matt Kenseth took the first step towards his first win of 2014 – and his first career win in the Brickyard 400 – recording the fastest speed in Friday’s sole Sprint Cup practice session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

18. Cause of Lewis Hamilton’s brake failure still unknown

Jul 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Germany F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Brembo and Mercedes release a joint statement concerning the incident during qualifying for the German Grand Prix.

19. Button reverts back to Pink for Papa helmet in Hungary

Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

Pink for Papa helmet returns in Hungary for what would have been John Button’s 71st birthday.

20. Ty Dillon leads final practice at Indy for Nationwide

Jul 25, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

Lilly Diabetes 250 - Practice Getty Images

Nationwide Series rookie continues to show strong pace ahead of Saturday’s Lilly Diabetes 250.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA