Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015

Sep 2, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

WillNumber AP

Team Penske president Tim Cindric all but confirms Will Power will run the No. 1 in 2015.

2. MAVTV announces two-year IndyCar extension at Fontana; date TBD

Sep 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

MAVTV announces IndyCar’s return to Fontana for two more years through 2016, although official confirmation from the sanctioning body and a date remains to be revealed.

3. NASCAR AMERICA: Kahne’s in Chase, but knows he and No. 5 team must improve (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Kahne to NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan: “We need to build off of this…As a team, we need to be stronger together.”

4. NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

NASCAR AMERICA’S Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman believe that the three-time Sprint Cup champion handled himself well throughout a difficult weekend.

5. F1: Sochi grandstand to be named for Toro Rosso rookie Kvyat

Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

Organizers of the Russian Grand Prix appear to be getting behind their countryman as F1’s first visit to Sochi draws closer.

6. NHRA: Four first-time U.S. Nationals winners crowned in Indianapolis

Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

DeJoriaWin AP

Richie Crampton, Alexis DeJoria, Shane Gray and Eddie Krawiec captured U.S. Nationals wins on Monday.

7. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps how Kahne was able at 5 p.m. ET

Sep 1, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Coming up today: Highlights from Kasey Kahne’s clutch Atlanta win; assessing Tony Stewart’s comeback; the Chase outlook with one regular season race left; more problems in pits for Kevin Harvick.

8. 2014 TORC champions crowned in Crandon (SPOILER)

Sep 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

TORCLogo

Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship season finale at Crandon, Wisconsin. NBCSN will air the races this Saturday, Sept. 6, at 3:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…

9. NASCAR: Late-season stumbles put Bowyer, Larson on ropes heading to Richmond

Sep 1, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 - Practice Getty Images

For Clint Bowyer and Kyle Larson, winning on Saturday night will be all that matters if they want a spot in the Chase.

10. Carpenter, SFHR top single-car teams in year before fusion into CFH

Sep 1, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

CarpenterCap Getty Images

Ed Carpenter Racing and Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing end as the top single-car teams in 2014, before merging in 2015.

11. Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power

Sep 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Kasey Kahne saves his season in Atlanta, while Will Power changes his career in Fontana.

12. Carlos Munoz Sunoco Rookie of the Year in a deep IndyCar freshman class

Sep 1, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

MunozROY Getty Images

Carlos Munoz takes home the top rookie honors after a successful first full season in the Verizon IndyCar Series.

13. Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes

Sep 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Remember the Honda MP4-4 that won five consecutive Formula 1 championships from 1987-1991? Here's one of the cars the late Ayrton Senna drove to one of three Honda-powered titles. AP

Honda’s motorsport chief provides an update on the company’s F1 engine progress.

14. IndyCar: Power leads award winners during series championship celebration

Sep 1, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

IndyCar championship banquet goes off quickly, smoothly with a good bit of humor.

15. Danica Patrick finishes career-best 6th after G-W-C craziness in Atlanta

Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

The result beats her previous high water mark of seventh this past May at Kansas.

16. Kevin Harvick far from being happy after Paul Menard wrecks him, costing a chance for win

Sep 1, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT

(Photo: Jonathan Moore/Getty Images) Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. — It was a rough night for a number of drivers in Sunday’s Oral-B USA 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta, including Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer and Marcos Ambrose.

17. Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go

Sep 1, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Matt Kenseth enters the post-season with a second place result, while Clint Bowyer finds himself outside the Chase Grid going into next Saturday’s regular season finale.

18. Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase

Sep 1, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT

Kahne wins at Atl 2014 Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. – Kasey Kahne’s 17th career Sprint Cup win couldn’t have been any larger.

19. Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta

Aug 31, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT

stewart atlanta 2014 Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. – It was not the comeback that Tony Stewart had hoped for.

20. NASCAR Atlanta Update: Stewart falls back after contact with Kyle Busch; Kenseth leads

Aug 31, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Tony Stewart’s return to competition tonight at Atlanta Motor Speedway has encountered some trouble after a restart run-in with “Rowdy.”

Video from NASCAR America

Tony Stewart does well in return
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches