Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. 2014 Belgian Grand Prix Preview

Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Race Getty Images

After a three-week summer break, what better way to welcome Formula 1 back than with the Belgian Grand Prix?

2. Rain postpones Bristol Trucks race to Thursday morning

Aug 20, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT

bristol rain Getty Images

Wednesday’s UNOH 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway has been postponed due to heavy rain and lightning. The race has been rescheduled to 10 am ET on Thursday morning, weather permitting.

3. Start of Trucks race at Bristol under rain delay

Aug 20, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Bristol motor speedway logo

Heavy rain showers coupled with occasional lightning are delaying Wednesday’s UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

4. NASCAR America video: Jimmie Johnson needs to turn things around

Aug 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Camping World RV Sales 301 - Practice Getty Images

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, we looked at the struggles Jimmie Johnson and his team have had over much of the last six weeks.

5. NASCAR America video: Jeff Burton to replace Tony Stewart at Bristol

Aug 20, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT

Burton Michigan 2 2014 AP

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, in the continuing absence of Tony Stewart this weekend at Bristol, it was announced that Jeff Burton will drive in his place for the second week in a row.

6. Kyle Busch earns pole for tonight’s Trucks race at Bristol

Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT

kyle busch truck ky Getty Images

Kyle Busch (who else) earned the No. 1 qualifying position Wednesday afternoon for this evening’s UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

7. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 6:30 p.m. ET — Stewart won’t race at Bristol, talk with Jeff Burton, JJ and Harvick

Aug 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT

140820-nascar-america

We have a huge show for today’s edition of NASCAR America, including the latest on Tony Stewart not racing at Bristol, Jeff Burton back in the No. 14 to replace Stewart, Kevin Harvick’s GoKart race, Jimmie Johnson’s recent struggles. And those are just for starters. Make sure you tune in.

8. It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14

Aug 20, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Jeff Burton AP

Tony Stewart will miss this weekend’s Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway, the third consecutive race Stewart has skipped in the aftermath of the tragic racing incident with sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. nearly two weeks ago.

9. When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again?

Aug 20, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT

tony stewart watkins glen 2014 a Getty Images

Amidst news that a grassroots campaign is building support for Tony Stewart, including plans to stand up and cheer during Lap 14 (Stewart’s race car number) of Saturday night’s race at Bristol, one question still remains: When will Stewart race again

10. STP to once again grace legendary No. 43 RPM machine

Aug 20, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT

(Photo: Chris Graythen/Getty Images) Getty Images

The famed STP logo will once again grace the legendary No. 43 of Richard Petty Motorsports in Saturday night’s race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

11. Kyle Busch seeks trifecta in Bristol tripleheader

Aug 20, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Terry Renna) AP

Kyle Busch will attempt to win all three NASCAR races at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend.

12. IndyCar: Penske looks for fifth straight Sonoma win this weekend

Aug 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Sonoma Pack - IndyCar AP

Will Power and Team Penske have been dominant over the last several years at Sonoma, and if they are again, the IndyCar championship could be put out of reach.

13. Conway looks to sign off his 2014 IndyCar campaign with third win in Sonoma

Aug 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

ConwayLB2 AP

If Mike Conway wins Sonoma this weekend, he’ll have his third win of 2014, and tie Will Power and Ryan Hunter-Reay with the most in the IndyCar field.

14. Indy Lights: Ryan Phinny, Casamigos switch to Belardi for Sonoma

Aug 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Photo: Indy Lights Photo: Indy Lights

Gabby Chaves to get new teammate in form of Ryan Phinny for Sonoma, at Indy Lights weekend finale.

15. NBA legend Dominique Wilkins made it to Milwaukee last weekend with Kimball’s crew

Aug 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

KimballMKE Getty Images

NBA legend Dominique Wilkins tours Charlie Kimball’s No. 83 team during the Milwaukee IndyCar weekend.

16. Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa

Aug 20, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

LottererDebut Getty Images

Le Mans champion Andre Lotterer confirmed for surprise Formula One debut with Caterham at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.

17. NASCAR: Toyota working to find more horsepower for engines

Aug 19, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT

Pure Michigan 400 Getty Images

Last year, reliability was the problem for Toyota’s engines, not power. This year, the situation has been reversed, and Toyota Racing Development’s president says they’re hunting for more performance ahead of the Chase.

18. NASCAR AMERICA: Crew chief Gustafson key to Jeff Gordon’s renaissance (VIDEO)

Aug 19, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT

Sprint All-Star Race - Practice Getty Images

Alan Gustafson may not be as well-known as other crew chiefs, but it’s clear that he’s played a big role in Jeff Gordon’s success this season. The NASCAR AMERICA crew breaks down what’s made them such a good pair together.

19. NASCAR AMERICA: New home, new sponsor for Edwards and Suarez (VIDEO)

Aug 19, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT

Daniel Suarez AP

NASCAR AMERICA talks about Carl Edwards and Daniel Suarez’s move to Joe Gibbs Racing – and the impact of their new sponsor, telecommunications equipment company ARRIS.

20. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA follows JGR’s big day at 6:30 p.m. ET

Aug 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

Daniel Suarez, Carl Edwards AP

Coming up today: Reaction from 2015 JGR drivers Carl Edwards and Daniel Suarez, and current JGR Cup drivers Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch; No. 24 crew chief Alan Gustafson on the team’s win at Michigan; the Michigan edition of “Scan All 43.”

Video from NASCAR America