Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. Keselowski: ‘I’m not (Dale Earnhardt Sr.) … I’m just trying to do things my own way’

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT

(Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images) Getty Images

Brad Keselowski is flattered people might compare him with the late Dale Earnhardt, but he’ll be the first to say he’s not the new Intimidator in NASCAR.

2. Greatest collection of Indy 500 pace cars to be displayed soon

Oct 22, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway) (Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway)

Perhaps the greatest collection of original Indianapolis 500 pace cars will soon be on display at an upcoming car show in suburban Chicago.

3. IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe being toasted for fast-selling beer

Oct 22, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com) (Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com)

For most Canadians, their homebrewed beer choice is typically Labatts or Molson. But countryman and IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe is starting to get some traction with his own beer brand, Hinchtown Hammer Down (HHD).

4. NASCAR America: Take a spin around Martinsville Speedway

Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

NASCAR America

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Parker Kligerman took a spin around Martinsville Speedway in the NBC race simulator to show why the paper-clip shaped track can be extremely difficult.

5. NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief

Oct 22, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT

Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing) Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing)

In a stunning move that could potentially threaten his bid for a record-extending 17th NHRA Funny Car championship, John Force announced Wednesday that veteran crew chief Jimmy Prock has resigned, effective immediately.

6. Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

KurtDanica Getty Images

Crew chiefs, road crews for Nos. 10 and 41 Stewart-Haas Racing cars will swap starting at Texas.

7. Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-JPN-F1 Getty Images

More murky messaging from Leafield as Caterham’s future hangs in the balance.

8. Drag racer Ron Capps doesn’t let hurricane stop Hawaii appearance

Oct 22, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA, Teresa Long) AP

When you drive a car that produces nearly 10,000 horsepower and reaches speeds approaching 330 mph, a hurricane with wind speeds over 100 mph is nothing. That was the case Sunday for NHRA Funny Car driver Ron Capps.

9. Ken Block, Matthew Wilson to return to WRC in Spain this weekend

Oct 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

FIA World Rally Championship Mexico - Day Two Getty Images

Ken Block, Matthew Wilson make WRC returns for this weekend’s Rally Spain.

10. UPDATED: Will NHRA Funny Car legend John Force reveal new sponsor and manufacturer today?

Oct 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA) AP

Sixteen-time NHRA Funny Car champion John Force is expected to make a major announcement concerning John Force Racing later Tuesday afternoon.

11. NASCAR: Kurt Busch’s new 2015 paint scheme unveiled

Oct 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

Kurt Busch’s 2015 paint scheme adds more red.

12. Lotus begins deal with jewelry company called Endless

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Japan - Qualifying Getty Images

Lotus will have a new sponsor for Austin that’s beginning, but called Endless.

13. Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO)

Oct 22, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

DaleJrDega AP

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be featured for UPMC campaign that seeks to change the conversation about concussions.

14. Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end

Oct 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT

Sam-Michael-McL Getty Images

Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end, the team confirms.

15. Here to stay: Keselowski vows that he won’t be run out of the sport

Oct 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Geico 500 Getty Images

The championship contender talks about his reputation during a Monday night appearance at Texas Motor Speedway.

16. NASCAR AMERICA: Pressure mounts with four races to go in Chase (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

(Streeter Lecka/Getty Images) Getty Images

As NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty explains, the new Chase format has created something that NASCAR hasn’t seen before.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Practice Getty Images

A ninth Martinsville win on Sunday would put Gordon into the Championship Race at Homestead. Check out his interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Jason Weigandt about his success at M’Ville and more.

18. Joey Logano says he’s made peace with Danica Patrick over Charlotte wreck

Oct 21, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Logano admits he should’ve given Patrick more space on the race track two weekends ago.

19. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA talks with “Eliminator 8″ at 5 p.m. ET

Oct 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Credit: NASCAR Credit: NASCAR

Extended interviews with Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Brad Keselowski, and Carl Edwards also coming up on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches