Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH LIVE: Bahrain GP Race Day on NBCSN and Live Extra from 10:30am ET

Apr 19, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Hamilton 194b Getty Images

Mercedes and Ferrari prepare to duel in the desert on Sunday. Join us on NBCSN and Live Extra from 10:30am ET for all of the action from the Bahrain International Circuit.

2. Starting grid for the 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix

Apr 19, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Nico Rosberg AP

Lewis Hamilton will lead the grid away in Bahrain on Sunday ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg.

3. Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO)

Apr 19, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT

Australian F1 Grand Prix - Previews Getty Images

Watch a sneak preview of today’s episode as we hear from local racer Daniel Ricciardo on his home race weekend.

4. Hamilton unsure what to make of Ferrari threat

Apr 19, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Mideast Bahrain F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Starting from pole position, Hamilton goes in search of his third win of the season in Bahrain.

5. Beretta scores World Challenge pole at Long Beach

Apr 18, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Photo: PWC Photo: PWC

Beretta’s Ferrari to start up front for Round 5 of season.

6. Newgarden puts CFH into Fast Six for first time; seeks elusive Long Beach result

Apr 18, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

JosefLBgrid Getty Images

Newgarden qualifies sixth for Long Beach race, best outside IndyCar’s established “power trio.”

7. Penske qualifying dominance continues in Long Beach

Apr 18, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

With 1-2-5 in qualifying at Long Beach, Team Penske’s hot streak on Saturdays continues to open 2015.

8. Taylor brothers, BMW take Long Beach TUDOR Championship wins

Apr 18, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT

Photo: IMSA Photo: IMSA

Polesitting entries bring it home Saturday at Long Beach for the TUDOR Championship.

9. Dixon takes first step to erasing Long Beach kryptonite with P3 in qualifying

Apr 18, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT

DixonLBquals Getty Images

Scott Dixon hopes for success at Long Beach, a track he considers a “thorn in the side.”

10. Hunter-Reay upholds Honda’s honor, qualifies fourth at Long Beach

Apr 18, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT

RHRp4 Getty Images

Ryan Hunter-Reay begins rebound from NOLA wreck by qualifying fourth in Long Beach.

11. Townsend Bell confirmed in DRR/Kingdom Racing entry for Indy 500

Apr 18, 2015, 6:44 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR AP

NBCSN IndyCar analyst Townsend Bell returns to the Indianapolis 500 with Dreyer & Reinbold/Kingdom Racing.

12. Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach

Apr 18, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT

HelioPoe Getty Images

Helio Castroneves brings Team Penske its third consecutive pole to start the season.

13. WATCH: IndyCar qualifying from Long Beach

Apr 18, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT

Ryan Hunter-Reay, Sebastien Bourdais Ryan Hunter-Reay, Sebastien Bourdais

IndyCar qualifying about to go on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.

14. Jack Harvey wins last second pole for Indy Lights race in Long Beach

Apr 18, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

Photo: Indy Lights Photo: Indy Lights

Jack Harvey will start from the pole for Sunday’s Indy Lights race in Long Beach.

15. GP2: Vandoorne fights back to claim Bahrain feature race win

Apr 18, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

_G7C7421

American driver Alexander Rossi performs admirably to finish third, having lost the lead of the race with two laps remaining.

16. Alonso: Reaching Q2 a nice surprise for McLaren

Apr 18, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

Mideast Bahrain F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Jenson Button was less fortunate in qualifying, though, as a problem on his car sidelined him without setting a lap time.

17. Carlos Sainz Jr shines as top rookie in Bahrain qualifying

Apr 18, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-BHR-F1 Getty Images

Despite expecting to struggle in Bahrain, Sainz will start the race from ninth place on Sunday.

18. Grosjean disappointed with P10 in Bahrain GP qualifying

Apr 18, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Grosjean 184 Getty Images

Grosjean believes he could have qualified higher up the grid, but is pleased to have maintained his 100% Q3 record in 2015.

19. Simon Pagenaud fastest in IndyCar’s final Long Beach practice

Apr 18, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT

Simon Pagenaud Simon Pagenaud

Simon Pagenaud led IndyCar’s final practice session in Long Beach.

20. Daniil Kvyat puzzled by Q1 elimination in Bahrain

Apr 18, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain - Qualifying Getty Images

Daniel Ricciardo fares far better in the sister Red Bull, qualifying seventh in Bahrain.