Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. Carlin, Jones welcomed to America in their first weekend in Indy Lights

Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

Photo: Carlin Photo: Carlin

A double pole, double win debut weekend for Trevor Carlin’s team was a statement – but the team’s big takeaway was how different the U.S. environment is.

2. Dixon on St. Pete: “The car was better than what I got out of it”

Apr 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT

DixonStP AP

A challenging weekend for Scott Dixon occurs from qualifying through the race in St. Petersburg.

3. Pierre Gasly to test for Toro Rosso at Barcelona

Apr 1, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

®GP2 Series Media Service ®GP2 Series Media Service

Pierre Gasly to test STR10 after Spanish Grand Prix weekend in May.

4. DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs

Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

STPcolumn AP

While St. Petersburg had its positives as a weekend, Tony DiZinno reflects on two disconcerting themes that emerged from the race itself.

5. American Alexander Rossi looks ahead to the GP2 season (VIDEO)

Apr 1, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Practice Getty Images

Alexander Rossi looks ahead to the upcoming GP2 season.

6. Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO)

Mar 31, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT

Sergio Perez, Nico Hulkenberg AP

Off the Grid Mexico kicks off with episode one of a six-part digital series.

7. Mardenborough, two spectators released from hospital after Nurburgring accident

Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT

Photo: NISMO Photo: NISMO

Jann Mardenborough and two spectators were released after this weekend’s VLN crash at the Nurburgring.

8. Patron ESM heads to Paul Ricard (VIDEO)

Mar 31, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT

Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports

ESM recaps its test from the Prologue at Paul Ricard.

9. IMS releases statement in wake of Indiana RFRA legislation

Mar 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

IMS Pagoda Getty Images

IMS statement comes out after Indiana’s recent religious freedom legislation.

10. IndyCar notes: Rahal’s questionable penalty, one-off drivers, rookies have tough days

Mar 31, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT

KimballRahal AP

Catching up on the rest of the action from St. Petersburg, with a run through the moments of contact that triggered avoidable contact penalties.

11. The Rolling Stones to hit IMS on July 4

Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT

StonesIMS

Rolling Stones to play at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

12. Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race

Mar 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT

StpDebris AP

Loose debris hit by a car, then goes over wall and hits a fan outside Turn 10 at St. Petersburg.

13. Hawksworth, Filippi score solid top-10s to open season at St. Petersburg

Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

HawkStp15 AP

Hawksworth, Filippi impress on opening outings with their new teams in St. Petersburg.

14. Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits

Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

JPMSTPwin AP

IndyCar’s “old guard” reigned in St. Petersburg, as the new manufacturer aero kits debuted.

15. Moto GP: Rossi wins opening-round thriller in Qatar

Mar 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

MotoGP Qatar Getty Images

Victory number 70 of the Italian’s remarkable Moto GP career.

16. Ecclestone considering creation of all-female grand prix series

Mar 30, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Practice Getty Images

However, Williams test driver Susie Wolff believes that women should be reaching F1 in a more organic way.

17. IndyCar: Bourdais opens strong for KVSH; Coletti impresses despite late stop for KV

Mar 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

SebStp AP

KVSH’s Bourdais gets result after a consistent drive; KV’s Coletti stars but fades after late race splash-and-dash for fuel.