Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EST

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. Jimmie Johnson is going for seven titles, but isn’t the story at Media Tour

Jan 29, 2015, 4:35 PM EST

JJmediatour Getty Images

Jimmie Johnson will again embark on a quest for his seventh Cup title, but he acknowledged and embraced Thursday he’s not the story at Hendrick Motorsports for 2015.

2. Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship

Jan 29, 2015, 4:12 PM EST

Rick Hendrick isn't putting any pressure on Jeff Gordon by wanting 14 wins and a championship this season, right? AP

There’s nothing like putting a little pressure on a guy, especially in his final season. Team owner Rick Hendrick expects Jeff Gordon to win 14 races and the championship in 2015!

3. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 4:30 p.m. ET wraps up NASCAR Media Tour

Jan 29, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

JGMediaTour AP

Today’s NASCAR AMERICA runs for an hour and has a heavy No. 24 theme.

4. McLaren goes back to the future, but can it return to its heyday?

Jan 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EST

McLaren-Honda Announces New Driver Line-Up For 2015 Getty Images

Fernando Alonso and Honda return to McLaren for 2015, but will it prove to be a winning partnership?

5. Larson not disappointed he won’t drive No. 24

Jan 29, 2015, 2:41 PM EST

Klye Larson, Jeff Gordon Klye Larson, Jeff Gordon

Although he grew up a Jeff Gordon fan and was counseled by Gordon on his future, Kyle Larson will watch someone else drive the No. 24.

6. One look at his wrist and Kyle Larson says it’s time to win races and Sprint Cup crown

Jan 29, 2015, 2:35 PM EST

Kyle larson rolex 24 2015 ap AP

Fresh off a team win in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, Kyle Larson not only is keeping time better, he says it’s also time to win some races and contend for the Sprint Cup championship in 2015.

7. Magnussen pushing for swift return to a full-time F1 seat

Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Kevin Magnussen AP

Danish driver hopes a year in a reserve role at McLaren will help him get back into a full-time F1 seat in 2016.

8. Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR

Jan 29, 2015, 1:52 PM EST

VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200

The 2014 Xfinity Series champion is announced as Jeff Gordon’s successor a day before his father, Bill Elliott, is inducted in the Hall of Fame.

9. GP3 champion Alex Lynn joins Williams as development driver

Jan 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

© GP3 Media Service © GP3 Media Service

British youngster will combine this role with a full season in GP2 with DAMS.

10. Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season

Jan 29, 2015, 12:10 PM EST

Chase Elliott Chase Elliott

The 2014 Xfinity Series champion will make his Sprint Cup debut in March before moving full time to NASCAR’s premier series in 2016.

11. Dover Motorsports Inc. releases earnings report, sets sale of Nashville Superspeedway for end of February

Jan 29, 2015, 11:51 AM EST

Dover Motorsports INc. logo

Dover Motorsports Inc., one of only two independent track ownership groups in NASCAR, released its fourth quarter and yearly earnings report on Thursday. That included significant news on the pending sale of the DMI-owned Nashville Superspeedway.

12. Button confident experienced McLaren line-up will pay off

Jan 29, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

McLaren-Honda MP4-30 Car Launch Getty Images

With 500 race starts between Button and new teammate Fernando Alonso, McLaren certainly isn’t short of experience in 2015.

13. RCR seeks wins, momentum carryover into 2015

Jan 29, 2015, 11:20 AM EST

RCdillon15 AP

After a winless 2014, wins are the priority for Richard Childress Racing in 2015.

14. Mercedes releases first footage of W06 Hybrid (VIDEOS)

Jan 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

German F1 Grand Prix - Previews Getty Images

Nico Rosberg takes the new Mercedes for a spin at Silverstone, and the team is not afraid to show it off.

15. Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery

Jan 29, 2015, 10:59 AM EST

Quaker State 400 presented by Advance Auto Parts Getty Images

Sherry Pollex, girlfriend of Martin Truex Jr., passes milestone in recovery from ovarian cancer.

16. Truex sees brighter days ahead both on, off-track in 2015

Jan 29, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Martin Truex Jr. has high expectations for his second season with Furniture Row Racing in 2015. Getty Images

Having gone through some professional and personal struggles in 2014, Martin Truex expects a much better second season with Furniture Row Racing in 2015.

17. Alonso: I’ve never felt better or more motivated

Jan 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

McLaren-Honda Announces New Driver Line-Up For 2015 Getty Images

As McLaren reveals its new car, Fernando Alonso looks ahead to the beginning of a new era for the British team.

18. Pirelli: 2015 F1 tires an evolution of last year’s compounds

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

F1 Testing in Bahrain - Day Two Getty Images

Motorsport director Paul Hembery announces that there will be just one design overhaul of the existing compounds.

19. Toro Rosso releases first teaser of STR10 car (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

F1 Testing Getty Images

The Italian team will launch its 2015 car on Saturday ahead of the first winter test in Jerez.

Video from NASCAR America

One final chance for Jeff Gordon at Daytona
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches
  1. J. Gordon (1959)
  2. J. Clements (1442)
  3. K. Schrader (1427)
  4. K. Grala (1307)
  5. M. Waltrip (1299)
  1. K. Larson (1275)
  2. M. Lira (1274)
  3. R. Hornaday Jr. (1210)
  4. B. Vickers (1123)