Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. It’s official: Marcos Ambrose will return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske

Sep 14, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose (left), along with NASCAR president Mike Helton. (Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — One day after announcing he would not be returning to Richard Petty Motorsports in 2015, Marcos Ambrose made it official that he’s going home to his native Australia to and race in the V8 Supercars series for Roger Penske.

2. Danica Patrick, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. tangle in wreck at Chicago — but it’s all good

Sep 14, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT

(Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. – Oh, how we’d love to be a bug on the wall when Danica Patrick and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. get home after Sunday’s MyAFibStory.com 400 at Chicagoland Speedway.

3. Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener

Sep 14, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) AP

JOLIET, Ill. – In the first race of the 2014 Chase for the Sprint Cup, Jeff Gordon took the first step in his “Drive For Five” – and put his best foot forward.

4. How the 16 drivers fared in Sunday’s Chase opener

Sep 14, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

(Photo: Jerry Markland/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. – Sunday’s opening race in the Chase for the Sprint Cup was good for 12 of the 16 contestants, as they dominated the top-15 finishers in the MyAFibStory.com 400 at Chicagoland Speedway. But four others struggled and find themselves in a hole heading into the second race of the Chase.

5. Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland

Sep 14, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

(Photo: Jerry Markland/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — While Kyle Larson and Kevin Harvick were jousting for the lead, Keselowski slipped up in-between them and then sailed right through with 15 laps left to win Sunday’s MyAFibStory.com 400, the opening race in the Chase for the Sprint Cup at Chicagoland Speedway.

6. Brad Keselowski, Jeff Gordon lead Chase opener at halfway point

Sep 14, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

keselowski joliet 2014 Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. – With 134 of the scheduled 267 laps complete, Brad Keselowski leads the opening race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup, the MyAFibStory.com 400 at Chicagoland Speedway.

7. Even with new crew, Kevin Harvick’s pit road problems continue

Sep 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Harvick pit crew richmond 2014 Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — Kevin Harvick made a celebrated trade of pit crews with Tony Stewart for Sunday’s MyAFibStory.com 400 due to numerous mistakes and errors committed by his pit crew during the first 26 races of the regular season. Unfortunately, Harvick’s pit road jinx continued with the new crew.

8. For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase

Sep 14, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Sprint Cup trophy 2014 Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — If Sunday’s MyAFibStory.com 400 plays out the way folks in the garage were talking Sunday morning, there’s going to be at least a few surprises both in the course of the race and potentially in the outcome in the opening event of the 2014 Chase for the Sprint Cup.

9. Kyle Busch starts Truck race ticked-off, only to end up in victory lane at Chicagoland

Sep 13, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

(Photo: Daniel Shirey/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. – A ticked-off Kyle Busch is the most dangerous kind of Kyle Busch. Dejected after coming up short in the Nationwide Series race earlier in the afternoon, the younger Busch brother rallied back to win Saturday night’s Lucas Oil 225 Camping World Truck Series race.

10. Joey Logano: ‘We’re ready’ to win Sprint Cup championship

Sep 13, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT

(Photo: Sarah Glenn/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — Joey Logano is ready to go from wanna-be champion to doing the real thing in this season’s Chase for the Sprint Cup.

11. DeJoria (FC), Enders-Stevens (PS), Todd (TF) and Krawiec (PSM) are the ones to beat in NHRA race in Charlotte

Sep 13, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Alexis DeJoria is No. 1 at Charlotte heading into Sunday's eliminations. (Photo courtesy NHRA) Alexis DeJoria is No. 1 at Charlotte heading into Sunday's eliminations. (Photo courtesy NHRA)

Alexis DeJoria (Funny Car), Erica Enders-Stevens (Pro Stock), J.R. Todd (Top Fuel) and Eddie Krawiec (Pro Stock Motorcycle) will enter Sunday’s Pep Boys NHRA Carolina Nationals as the No. 1 qualifiers at zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C.

12. Kevin Harvick outsmarts Kyle Busch, earns third career NNS win at Chicagoland Speedway

Sep 13, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

(Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. – What looked like yet another almost certain Kyle Busch win on Saturday literally went up in smoke, as Kevin Harvick rallied to earn his third career Nationwide Series victory at Chicagoland Speedway.

13. Kyle Busch ready to claim his ‘second’ Sprint Cup championship

Sep 13, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT

(Photo: Nick Laham/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. – Kyle Busch believes he can win his ‘second’ Sprint Cup championship in 2014. Wait a minute, when did he win his first? Did we miss something somewhere?

14. Carl Edwards leads final Sprint Cup practice, Keselowski up to speed, Danica 5th-fastest

Sep 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Kesewlowski Chicagoland 2014 Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — Carl Edwards was fastest in Saturday’s Sprint Cup happy hour practice, but Brad Keselowski was the bigger story, finding the speed he’s been lacking up to now. Also, Danica Patrick was fifth-fastest.

15. Marcos Ambrose decision to leave RPM, NASCAR due to family, desire to return to Australia

Sep 13, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT

marcos ambrose chicagoland 2014 Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — Marcos Ambrose cited being homesick for his native Australia as well as family concerns as the main reasons he’s leaving Richard Petty Motorsports and NASCAR at the end of this season.

16. Brian Scott holds off Ryan Blaney to earn 3rd NNS pole of season

Sep 13, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT

(Photo: Nick Laham/Getty Images) Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — Shortly after Richard Childress Racing teammate Paul Menard posted the fastest speed in Saturday morning’s Sprint Cup practice, teammate Brian Scott went out and earned the pole for Saturday afternoon’s Jimmy John’s Freaky Fast 300 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Chicagoland Speedway.

17. Romain Grosjean hopeful of points at Singapore GP

Sep 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Qualifying Getty Images

Frenchman is confident that Lotus will be in better shape than it was at Monza.

18. Sprint Cup practice speeds slower Saturday morning at Chicagoland, Paul Menard tops at 188.772 mph

Sep 13, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

paul menard richmond 2 2014 Getty Images

JOLIET, Ill. — Paul Menard shot to the top of the speed charts during the first of two practice sessions for the Sprint Cup drivers Saturday morning at Chicagoland Speedway.

19. Roberto Merhi dominates Formula Renault 3.5 race in Hungary