Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg

Apr 18, 2014, 3:32 AM EDT

Lewis Hamilton AP

Mercedes returns to the top of the timesheets, but Ferrari and Alonso are in close company.

2. WATCH LIVE: Alonso looks to double up in Shanghai

Apr 18, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT

Fernando Alonso AP

Can Mercedes fight back and resume normal service?

3. Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP

Apr 17, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT

Ferrari Formula One driver Fernando Alonso of Spain arrives for a news conference ahead of the Chinese F1 Grand Prix at the Shanghai International Circuit Reuters

Spanish driver ends Mercedes streak of first place finishes, but teammate Kimi Raikkonen fails to post a time.

4. NASCAR AMERICA: Can Gene Haas succeed with an American-based F1 team?

Apr 17, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT

NASCAR America

NBCSN’s Rick Allen and Kyle Petty discuss the expectations for Gene Haas as he looks to start a F1 team. The pair question whether an F1 team can be run successfully out of the United States.

5. NASCAR AMERICA: Kyle Petty — Some of this year’s top rookies mark changing of the guard in NASCAR

Apr 17, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT

nascar america

NBCSN’s Rick Allen and Kyle Petty discuss the emergence of some of this year’s top rookies on Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America. Petty says it is time for a changing of the guard, as many of today’s most successful drivers are nearing the end of their careers.

6. Alabama Gang rides again with Justin Allison at Talladega

Apr 17, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT

The original Alabama Gang. Justin Allison is now the latest member of the gang, turning his first laps at legendary Talladega Superspeedway during an ARCA test there Tuesday and Wednesday. (Photo courtesy JustinAllisonRacing.com) The original Alabama Gang. Justin Allison is now the latest member of the gang, turning his first laps at legendary Talladega Superspeedway during an ARCA test there Tuesday and Wednesday. (Photo courtesy JustinAllisonRacing.com)

The latest generation of NASCAR’s fabled Alabama Gang rode again in its debut Tuesday and Wednesday at Talladega Superspeedway. Justin Allison, grandson of Donnie Allison and grandnephew of NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison, both original members of the Alabama Gang, took part in a two-day test of ARCA drivers at NASCAR’s largest oval track.

7. Ford Racing has some fun to celebrate Mustang’s 50th anniversary (video)

Apr 17, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT

(Photo and video courtesy of Ford Racing) (Photo and video courtesy of Ford Racing)

Whether you like it or not, you can’t say the Ford Mustang doesn’t have staying power. Celebrating its 50th anniversary this month, the Mustang has become one of the premier muscle car brands ever made by Detroit.

8. NASCAR has shown outstanding parity through first eight races of 2014

Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Kevin Harvick is the only two-time winner thus far in the first eight races of the 2014 Sprint Cup season. AP

NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.

9. VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass

Apr 17, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Alonso

News and notes from the ground in China from NBCSN’s Will Buxton.

10. BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question

Apr 17, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT

Swan Getty Images

Just eight races into the Sprint Cup season, the future of the two-car Swan Racing team is looking rather murky, with the potential of everything from reorganization to scaling back involvement, if not outright shutting down.

11. MotorSportsTalk’s predictions: Chinese GP

Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Previews Getty Images

F1 heads to China with change in the wind, only making the predictions harder for our experts.

12. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET — Gene Haas, Kyle Larson, Scan All 43

Apr 17, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT

140417-NASCAR-AMERICA

Thursday on NASCAR AMERICA, the team will cover a lot of ground, including talking with NASCAR team owner Gene Haas about his foray into Formula One. Rick Allen and Kyle Petty man the anchor desk from our Charlotte studio. Remember to tune in at at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra for your online or mobile device.

13. Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America

Apr 17, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT

All photos: Honda/LAT All photos: Honda/LAT

The Who founder and lead singer paid a visit to Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach weekend, and soaked it all in while also raising awareness for Teen Cancer America.

14. Young go-kart racer shows what true racing and determination is all about

Apr 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

Screen-Shot-2014-04-17-at-2.25

The Internet is like coming to a strange five-way intersection that you’ve never seen before. No matter which way you decide to go, you’re bound to find something new and different. So as we were looking for something else, we stumbled upon this video of 7-year-old go-kart racer Ryan Rifredi in a race from December…

15. Button has faith in Haas Formula and second US GP

Apr 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Previews Getty Images

2009 world champion believes that if anyone can make an American F1 team work, it’s Gene Haas.

16. Vettel focusing on damage limitation in China

Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Previews Getty Images

Defending world champion banking on a top five finish in China.

17. Rosberg and Hamilton set to talk about Bahrain battle

Apr 17, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Hamilton of Britain is congratulated by Rosberg of Germany on the podium after he won the Bahrain F1 Grand Prix at the Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) in Sakhir Reuters

Rosberg felt that Hamilton overstepped the mark with one of his moves in Bahrain.

18. Alonso: We’re ready to fight back in China

Apr 17, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Previews Getty Images

After Stefano Domenicali’s departure, there’s a change in the wind at Ferrari.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA