Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EST

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. Straight No Chaser to sing “Back Home Again in Indiana” at 2015 Indy 500 (VIDEO)

Dec 22, 2014, 6:02 PM EST

Credit: LeAnn Mueller Credit: LeAnn Mueller

The big-name a cappella group will carry on one of the 500’s greatest traditions next May.

2. Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015

Dec 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EST

Italy Ferrari Montezemolo Out AP

Sergio Marchionne: “I think 2015 is going to be a reconstitution year.”

3. Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 10 – Jimmie Johnson falls short of seventh championship

Dec 22, 2014, 4:50 PM EST

(Jason Merritt/Getty Images for dcp) Getty Images

Jimmie Johnson not only fell short of his seventh Sprint Cup championship in 2014, he also recorded the worst single-season finish in his Cup career.

4. Sale deadline extended for dormant Nashville Superspeedway

Dec 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

Firestone Indy 200 Getty Images

1.33-mile concrete oval outside the Music City has not hosted major auto racing since 2011.

5. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 24 Martin Truex Jr.

Dec 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Hollywood Casino 400 - Practice Getty Images

Truex’s first year with Furniture Row Racing was largely disappointing.

6. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 23 Marcos Ambrose

Dec 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

Camping World RV Sales 301 - Practice Getty Images

Ambrose narrowly missed clinching a Chase berth after his epic battle at the Glen with A.J. Allmendinger.

7. MRTI Entry List update before the Christmas holiday

Dec 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Photo via @IndyLights Photo via @IndyLights

A quick roundup of who’s where at the moment in Indy Lights, Pro Mazda and USF2000.

8. Scot Elkins will join Pro Mazda/USF2000 as Race Director

Dec 22, 2014, 11:19 AM EST

MazdaRoadToIndy

IMSA’s Scot Elkins joins MRTI as race director.

9. Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship”

Dec 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

EdwardsP9 Getty Images

In interview, Carl Edwards sets some high goals for himself in first year with JGR.

10. NASCAR: Jeremy Bullins promoted to Wood Brothers crew chief

Dec 22, 2014, 9:29 AM EST

Bullins Getty Images

Bullins up to the Cup level as crew chief of Blaney’s No. 21.

11. NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015

Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST

Ford EcoBoost 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

Junior speaks highly, already, of new crew chief Greg Ives.

12. Sutil rips F1’s pay driver situation

Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-BRA-F1-PRESSER-SUTIL Getty Images

Ex-Sauber driver Adrian Sutil calls out F1 pay-driver situation, although it could just be a case of sour grapes.

13. WEC: 2015 sporting regulations for series released by FIA

Dec 21, 2014, 5:30 PM EST

AUTO-FRA-ENDURANCE-LE MANS Getty Images

A number of tweaks are coming for the global sports car racing series.

14. Late wreck ends hope of top-5 finish for Ricky Stenhouse Jr. in dirt track race

Dec 21, 2014, 4:58 PM EST

(Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

Going back to his dirt track roots, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. finished eighth in the fifth annual Great Clips Battle at the Center in DuQuoin, Ill., on Saturday.

15. Another week, another driver wedding; this time, it’s Ty Dillon’s turn (PHOTOS)

Dec 21, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

Lilly Diabetes 250 Getty Images

The XFINITY Series driver for Richard Childress Racing marries girlfriend Haley Carey.

16. UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it

Dec 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EST

(Photo courtesy Facebook via MotorAuthority.com) (Photo courtesy Facebook via MotorAuthority.com)

With just 40 less horsepower than a 2015 Sprint Cup car, the new Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is VERY powerful. One new Hellcat owner, who bought it just one hour earlier, found out the hard way about all that power.

17. Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 10 – Kurt Busch and “The Double”

Dec 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Kurt Busch AP

The Outlaw takes on the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.

18. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 22 Brian Vickers

Dec 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

FedEx 400 Benefiting Autism Speaks - Practice Getty Images

Vickers made his full-time return to Sprint Cup action in 2014, which in itself was a victory.

19. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 21 Paul Menard

Dec 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EST

(Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

Paul Menard had a decent season at times in 2014, but fell short of making the Chase in the final qualifying race.

Video from NASCAR America