Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. Hysterical video: How the British envision NASCAR

Jul 31, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

nascar brits

Anthony Richardson bills himself as the Bad British Commentator, and it definitely shows through here with his malapropisms and complete lack of understanding of the sport and world of NASCAR.

2. What might the 2015 Sprint Cup schedule look like?

Jul 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Photo: Rainier Ehrhardt/Getty Images Getty Images

There may not be wholesale changes, based upon what NASCAR chairman Brian France said recently, but next year’s Sprint Cup schedule will look different. Based upon various sources and things we’ve heard and/or read, we’re going to chime in with our ideas and why we think that way.

3. As many as 4 more drivers can clinch Chase spot at Pocono

Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Chase for the sprint cup logo

With six qualifying races left, a total of 10 more spots remain to be clinched to fill out the expanded 16-driver playoff field for this year’s 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup.

4. Mark Martin returning to Roush Fenway Racing in unique role

Jul 31, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT

(Photo: Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Legendary NASCAR driver Mark Martin is returning to Roush Fenway Racing. But don’t expect Martin, 55, to get back behind the wheel any time soon.

5. Police seek large stolen Earnhardt memorabilia collection

Jul 31, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

(Illustration: Rainier Ehrhardt/Getty Images) Getty Images

If you collect NASCAR memorabilia and someone approaches you in the coming days with a deal that seems too good to be true – especially if it involves merchandise related to either Dale Earnhardt Sr. or Dale Earnhardt Jr. – it probably is.

6. Report: Ferrari’s Engine and Electrics boss Luca Marmorini leaves team

Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Ferrari’s head of Engine and Electrics, Luca Marmorini, has left the team ahead of the second half of the season.

7. Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio highlights extensive motorsports coverage this weekend on NBCSN, NBC

Jul 31, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT

NBCSN

NBCSN will present live coverage of the IndyCar Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio this Sunday at 3 p.m. ET, highlighting more than 30 hours of motorsports coverage across NBC and NBCSN this weekend.

8. Report: Toyota closing in on new 2015 Camry for Sprint Cup

Jul 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

(AP Photo/Tom Strattman) AP

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. That’s the case for the new design of the Toyota Camry for the 2015 Sprint Cup season.

9. IndyCar: Carpenter hopeful for second car in 2015

Jul 31, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT

Ed Carpenter AP

Ed Carpenter says he’d like to expand to two cars, but it remains to be seen if this can actually come to fruition.

10. Roush Fenway shores up sponsorship for Stenhouse as Zest returns to No. 17

Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT

Pocono 400 - Practice Getty Images

Personal care brand will serve as primary backer for Stenhouse in multiple 2015 races plus work in a season-long associate role.

11. NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO)

Jul 30, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT

DHIMSPenalty AP

NASCAR AMERICA on Wednesday includes a Denny Hamlin interview, a recap of the Hamlin penalties and Dale Earnhardt Jr. new crew chief news.

12. Red Bull GRC: Nelson Piquet Jr. goes wakeboarding (VIDEO)

Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

PiquetWakeboard

Nelson Piquet Jr. shows Kristen Kenney how to wakeboard, on the day after Piquet bagged a podium finish in Red Bull Global Rallycross at Charlotte.

13. WATCH LIVE: Denny Hamlin reacts to Indy penalties on NASCAR AMERICA

Jul 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Coming up today: Full coverage of Brickyard penalties against Joe Gibbs Racing, including reaction from driver Denny Hamlin; interview with Eldora Truck Series winner Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr.

14. How will Greg Ives handle the spotlight as Dale Jr.’s crew chief?

Jul 30, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

History 300 - Practice Getty Images

Next year, Ives will have deal with an amount of fan and media attention that dwarfs anything he’s ever encountered in the sport.

15. IndyCar: Mid-Ohio Livery Notes

Jul 30, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT

JPMHawk Getty Images

The livery notes going into this weekend’s Honda Indy 200 at Toronto.

16. Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season

Jul 30, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT

GregIvesCrop Getty Images

Ives currently serves as crew chief for Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott and also worked as a race engineer for Jimmie Johnson during his run of five Sprint Cup titles from 2006-2010.

17. Gordon’s crew chief: 24 team more confident after Brickyard win

Jul 30, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT

Sprint All-Star Race - Practice Getty Images

In addition to talking about the meaning of Sunday’s win at Indy, Alan Gustafson touches on the penalties against fellow crew chief Darian Grubb and Joe Gibbs Racing.

18. Columbus Blue Jackets’ James Wisniewski, Jared Boll named Mid-Ohio grand marshals

Jul 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

BlueJacketsGMs Getty Images

Pair of Blue Jackets players to give the command for Honda Indy 200 this weekend.

19. Better mindset, form for Briscoe, CGR heading into final month of 2014

Jul 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Briscoe072914 Getty Images

Perhaps you haven’t noticed the uptick in form of Ryan Briscoe and the NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing team over the last couple months. Here’s a recap…

20. MRTI: Jam-packed weekend for all three ladder series on tap at Mid-Ohio

Jul 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Seven races on tap for Indy Lights (2), Pro Mazda (2) and USF2000 (3) in critical Mid-Ohio weekend.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA