Q&A with Caterham’s Charles Pic

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Charles, you’ve made a really good start to the season. How much have things changed since leaving Marussia last year?

Charles Pic: I think the two biggest changes for me were the KERS which were new for this year and the Renault engine was also new so these were the two biggest changes.

And as a driver, do you feel that you have changed since you left?

CP: Oh of course. I’m stronger this year than last year, I have one year of experience, I know all of the tracks and how I see the race weekend is a bit different also and I think my approach is stronger than last year for sure and my performance also is stronger than last year. But I mean this is normal because I am still young and it’s only my second year in F1 so you have to keep pushing and keep improving yourself every year.

You raced alongside four of the five rookies in F1 this year in GP2 back in 2011. Has the extra season of F1 experience given you an edge over your rivals?

CP: I don’t know, I don’t really see things like that. To get into F1 it depends on opportunities and what you do in GP2 and a lot of things so I had the great opportunity to enter last year and I had a great season with Marussia. I think we made a good job with what we had, and I learnt a lot with Timo [Glock] and the Marussia team who were great with me. I am very happy about last year and now I am very happy to be in Caterham and I feel very good here. I feel we are making good progress through the season. We are now closer and closer to Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, in qualy pace we are still a bit behind but I think in race pace we are around five or four tenths [behind] so I think we have closed the gap from the start of the year. This is our main target, continue like that, keep pushing and closing this gap with them.

So your target for this year, obviously you want to beat your teammate, you want to beat the Marussias but are you also thinking of Williams and Sauber?

CP: Of course, we have to look ahead and it will be very hard because they are also pushing but I mean our target is to at least close the gap, to be closer and closer to them. I don’t know if we will be able to reach them this year, but we give everything we can.

Last year of course Williams won a race, and now you’re right behind them!

CP: Yeah, this is Formula One and it’s changing very fast and everybody is pushing very hard so it can change really fast.

Your closest battle so far this year has been with Jules Bianchi, your fellow countryman. Do you talk with Jules? Do you get on? Are you good friends?

CP: Yeah, I have known him since go karts so we are already fighting since then! It’s very okay, and it’s nice to have this fight with him.

You’ve now got four French drivers in F1, would you like to see the French GP return at possibly Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard?

CP: Of course it would be great. The first step was now we are four, so this is very good for the French fans, but the next step is the French GP so I don’t know if it would happen one day, but if it will of course it would be great.

We’re here at the Nurburgring this weekend. What are your thoughts on the circuit? Is it one you like?

CP: I like it very much. I think it’s a very nice circuit. Our main target will be to keep our pace that we had at Silverstone and if we can be a bit closer to the guys in front, Williams and Sauber, especially in race pace, and yeah, I think Pirelli are giving us new rear tires so some of the attention will be on this, especially on Friday to understand exactly what it does and what we can expect from it for this weekend.

How will these new constructions change things?

CP: I think it’s a construction that we know, it’s the construction of last year. We don’t know really these tires to be a mix between the rear tires of last year and the front of this year. I don’t see anything big to make a big change, I don’t think it will make a big change, but I think it will make a small change and if you adapt yourself a bit faster than the other team then you can have a one or maybe two race advantage.

Do you feel more comfortable that Pirelli have made a change and made things safer?

CP: Yeah of course, it’s not what we want to see. I’ve got a lot of trust in Pirelli and I am sure that they will sort the problem and from now on that it will be good.

You’ve had Heikki Kovalainen run in the car [FP1 in Spain] to aid with development, how valuable has his feedback been?

CP: I think it’s always very hard to give your feedback just from one run, but Heikki has got a lot of experience so I think it’s good to have him with us, but I think to give a good feedback on just one FP1 in two runs, I think it’s hard.

Are you confident that you can beat Marussia to P10 in the championship?

CP: Honestly they are making a great job this year, Marussia, and we are really close and fighthing together. They are also not far from Williams and Sauber, they also closed the gap very much compared to last year. The improvement they made compared to last year is big so we will keep pushing to make sure we are ahead of them.

And for this weekend, what is your target?

CP: To still try to close the gap with the guys in front, Williams and Sauber.

Latest Posts
  1. FIA WEC: Ram Racing withdraws from Spa

Apr 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

RAM Racing AP

Privateer GTE team forced to pull out of next FIA WEC over financial issues.

2. Dollar General signs onto Jacques Villeneuve’s Indianapolis 500 effort

Apr 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Matt Kenseth Getty Images

Jacques Villeneuve has a sponsor confirmed for his Indianapolis 500 return.

3. Newgarden, Pagenaud went drifting at Long Beach

Apr 23, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT

Photo: Formula Drift Photo: Formula Drift

Josef Newgarden, Simon Pagenaud enjoy drifting rides with 2013 FD champion Michael Essa.

4. IndyCar: Andretti adds fifth car for GP of Indy for Franck Montagny

Apr 23, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT

Andretti Autosport driver Carlos Munoz of Colombia drives practice laps on the second day of qualifications in Indianapolis Reuters

Andretti Autosport brings in a talented road-course ringer, Franck Montagny, for the inaugural GP of Indianapolis.

5. Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here

Apr 23, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT

KimiChina Getty Images

Kimi Raikkonen owns critics who are questioning his motivation in typical Kimi style.

6. Compass360 adds CTF “Art Car” to PWC

Apr 23, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Photo: CTF Photo: CTF

Compass360′s cars will have “Art Car” design as created by an NF hero.

7. Mike Conway ready to double up on Long Beach IndyCar win this Sunday in Alabama

Apr 22, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT

ConwayLB2 AP

Mike Conway’s come-from-behind IndyCar win at Long Beach nearly two weeks ago may have been a surprise to some. But it wasn’t a surprise to team owner Ed Carpenter or Conway himself. They both had confidence in each other for a strong run and a high finish – and the win was just an added bonus.

8. After Shanghai letdown, McLaren’s Boullier tells team ‘don’t panic’

Apr 22, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain - Previews Getty Images

With McLaren’s podium-less 2013 in mind, the team’s racing director is doing all he can to keep the troops calm after a poor Chinese Grand Prix.

9. ‘Rookie’ Kurt Busch, 1995 champ Jacques Villeneuve, three more to undergo Indy 500 orientation/refresher

Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT

Jacques Villeneuve will be making his first return trip to Indianapolis since winning there in 1995 -- and only his third race ever there -- for this year's Indy 500. AP

It’s been 14 years since Kurt Busch was last called a rookie. And even though Busch has a Sprint Cup championship trophy at home, he’s still a rookie open-wheel driver as far as the Indianapolis 500 is concerned.

10. Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment

Apr 22, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China Getty Images

Red Bull’s anonymous “Spy” says that their main rivals are getting “rattled and sweating a bit.”

11. NASCAR AMERICA: Scan All 43 – Kurt Busch breaks winless streak, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon still without wins

Apr 22, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

NASCAR America

On Tuesday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA, Leigh Diffey and Wally Dallenbach took a look back at the March 30th STP 500 at Martinsville Raceway and Kurt Busch’s win, which snapped an 83-race winless streak. We also look back at the rain-postponed Duck Commander 500 at Texas on April 7, as well as how Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson, who have 10 Sprint Cup championships between them, but neither driver has visited victory lane yet in 2014.

12. Veteran pit crew coach Lance Munksgard leaves Hendrick Motorsports, NASCAR

Apr 22, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT

Lance Munksgard, pit crew coach for the teams of Jimmie Johnson (above) and Dale Earnhardt Jr., has left Hendrick Motorsports to work in his family's business in Texas. (Photo courtesy Hendrick Motorsports) Lance Munksgard, pit crew coach for the teams of Jimmie Johnson (above) and Dale Earnhardt Jr., has left Hendrick Motorsports to work in his family's business in Texas. (Photo courtesy Hendrick Motorsports)

One of the most effective and successful pit crew coaches in the business has not only left Hendrick Motorsports, he’s also left NASCAR. Lance Munksgard, who had served as coach for the pit crews of both Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. since November 2011, has returned to his native Texas to work in his family’s business, according to MRN.com.

13. IndyCar: Helio Castroneves on probation for social media policy violation

Apr 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Pocono INDYCAR 400 Getty Images

A critical tweet from the three-time Indy 500 champion’s account – which he says came from his sister – has put him on probation through June 30.

14. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET

Apr 22, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

nascar america

It’s another “Scan All 43″ showcase today, as Races 5-8 of this year’s Sprint Cup championship are profiled.

15. Excited to join Ed Carpenter Racing, J.R. Hildebrand has unfinished business at Indy 500

Apr 22, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT

Indianapolis 500 - Practice Getty Images

If he had his way, J.R. Hildebrand would run the Indianapolis 500 tomorrow. The 2011 Indy 500 Rookie of the Year is looking forward to returning to the fabled Brickyard for this year’s edition of the 500 on May 25 for three primary reasons.

16. Richmond’s personal for Daniel Knost, Kurt Busch’s crew chief

Apr 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

STP 500 - Practice Getty Images

He believes that a win last fall at Richmond was taken away from him and his SHR crewmates.

17. Former CART championship and Indy 500 winning owner Steve Horne putting the ‘Super’ in V8 Supercars

Apr 22, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy V8Supercars.com.Au) (Photo courtesy V8Supercars.com.Au)

After winning an Indianapolis 500 win (1986, with Bobby Rahal behind the wheel), two CART championships and five Indy Lights titles – Steve Horne went back to his native New Zealand two years ago. But Horne isn’t the retiring type. Nor is he part of a “Where Are They Now?” question. If anything, Horne is as busy as he’s ever been, both running his own team as well as serving as chairman of the V8 Supercars Commission in New Zealand and Australia.

18. Alex Zanardi finishes 13th in Blancpain GT Sprint debut

Apr 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Indianapolis 500 Getty Images

Late clutch problems force the former CART champion and F1 pilot out of a likely Top-10 finish.

19. See what it’s like to race Long Beach through a driver’s eyes (VIDEO)

Apr 22, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy MikeSkeen.com/Ben Carufel) (Photo courtesy MikeSkeen.com/Ben Carufel)

Whether it be NASCAR, IndyCar, NHRA or sports car racing, it’s become fairly routine for TV broadcasts to give in-car action during the course of a race. But it’s rare to actually see an entire race on video from the driver’s seat. That’s why we really enjoyed Mike Skeen’s video from last week’s Pirelli World Challenge GT race in Long Beach.

20. NNS: JR Motorsports adding Super Late Model driver Austin Theriault for 3 races

Apr 22, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Drive To Stop Diabetes 300 - Practice Getty Images

The 20-year-old has been competing for Brad Keselowski’s Super Late Model team for the past two seasons.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA