Jul 5, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen has encouraged Lotus to up their game and try to get both cars in the points at the Nurburgring for this weekend’s German Grand Prix.
The team’s championship charge has dwindled in recent races as Raikkonen has struggled to match his early-season form, picking up 13 points in the last three races. Even more worryingly for Lotus, Romain Grosjean has not scored since Bahrain and Raikkonen has said that getting both cars into the points is crucial to keep the constructors’ title challenge alive.
“We can’t make the mistakes that we did in the last race,” Raikkonen said. “Obviously we could have scored much more points and we have to put two cars in the points to change the situation. It’s easy to say but it’s not always easy to do so hopefully we can bigger and better things.”
Raikkonen was told not to pit during the final safety car period – a decision he immediately questioned – and eventually missed out on the podium as Mark Webber, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton all passed him on fresh tires.
The Finnish driver also had very little to say on his future as he battles with Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo for the second seat at Red Bull in 2014.
“It’s four days ago when you probably last asked me… Obviously you always think about what will happen but I am not in a hurry and things will happen at some point when I know myself.”
Raikkonen currently sits third in the drivers’ championship, trailing Sebastian Vettel by 34 points.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 5
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1