Jul 5, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen has encouraged Lotus to up their game and try to get both cars in the points at the Nurburgring for this weekend’s German Grand Prix.
The team’s championship charge has dwindled in recent races as Raikkonen has struggled to match his early-season form, picking up 13 points in the last three races. Even more worryingly for Lotus, Romain Grosjean has not scored since Bahrain and Raikkonen has said that getting both cars into the points is crucial to keep the constructors’ title challenge alive.
“We can’t make the mistakes that we did in the last race,” Raikkonen said. “Obviously we could have scored much more points and we have to put two cars in the points to change the situation. It’s easy to say but it’s not always easy to do so hopefully we can bigger and better things.”
Raikkonen was told not to pit during the final safety car period – a decision he immediately questioned – and eventually missed out on the podium as Mark Webber, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton all passed him on fresh tires.
The Finnish driver also had very little to say on his future as he battles with Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo for the second seat at Red Bull in 2014.
“It’s four days ago when you probably last asked me… Obviously you always think about what will happen but I am not in a hurry and things will happen at some point when I know myself.”
Raikkonen currently sits third in the drivers’ championship, trailing Sebastian Vettel by 34 points.
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4