Jul 5, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel has openly praised and thanked Pirelli for responding to the issues that blighted the British Grand Prix in order to bring a new construction of tire to this weekend’s race at the Nurburgring.
“To be clear about yesterday and the GPDA meeting: the general agreement was that we’re happy Pirelli bought a new specification of tyre for this event and want to thank them for their flexibility and reaction times – they were able to find a solution in only a couple of days,” Vettel said in a statement from Red Bull.
The GPDA had threatened to boycott the race if their safety could not be guaranteed, but after a trouble-free day on Friday, Vettel is confident that the problems will not repeat themselves.
“The circumstances that we raced under in Silverstone were not what we can accept, but I don’t think we will see those issues again.”
In terms of pace, Vettel is pleased to have responded to Mercedes’ pace so well after the Silver Arrows went almost one second clear during the morning session.
“I wasn’t so happy with the car this morning and Mercedes were quick, but in the afternoon we were in better shape. We’ll see, but so far I am happy.”
Red Bull certainly appear to have the edge when it comes to the long runs, although Mercedes’ excellent qualifying record means that it is hard to look past them for pole position tomorrow. Regardless, the winning car looks set to come from one of these two teams, setting the scene for a grand battle in the Eifel mountains this weekend.
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4