Jul 6, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso believes that Ferrari have made a step forward in Germany despite qualifying down in 8th for tomorrow’s race at the Nurburgring.
The Spanish driver, who has won twice before at this circuit, was pleased to see an improvement from the pace that was on display at Silverstone where he benefited from his rival’s poor luck to reach the podium.
“Well I think we did a step forward this race,” Alonso said after qualifying today. “There’s no doubt that we’re more competitive than we were at Silverstone. We were 1.5 seconds off the pace in Silverstone in practice and in qualifying one and two which was not the case today.
“The team did a step forward and we’ve gone back to a more normal level of competitiveness.”
However, Alonso still admitted that there was a need to improve if Ferrari were to challenge Red Bull for both the drivers and constructors’ championships.
“We need to improve, yes, no questions about that, we were not the quickest before, especially on Saturdays. We’re at least more confident and optimistic for tomorrow because the car is performing in a more normal way.”
Ferrari opted to put Alonso on the medium compound tire for the final stage of qualifying, costing him a chance at pole position in favor of a longer first stint in the race tomorrow. Alongside Felipe Massa, he had ran strongly in the first two sessions today, but he admitted that this was purely due to tire usage, not raw pace.
“The pace was just a coincidence. We were the only top team to use the soft tire in Q1 so we were top, and then in Q2 when we put the second new set of softs you maximize the grip level and we were 1:29.9 which is our representative timed lap, and the other teams they were doing just the first set of softs at the time.”
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 2
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 2
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 2
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)