Jul 6, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
A few hours after claiming pole for tomorrow’s Pocono IndyCar 400, Marco Andretti (pictured, right) was quickest in final practice at the “Tricky Triangle” with a lap at 219.120 miles per hour.
The third-generation racer has had the strongest pace all weekend long, but also noted on Saturday that he had led all the sessions last month at the Milwaukee Mile as well – and that ended with a 20th place finish on Race Day due to electrical issues on his No. 25 Andretti Autosport Chevrolet.
“I really want to get this monkey off my back,” said Andretti, who joined father Michael and grandfather Mario as pole winners at Pocono today. “I want to get the wins coming. We need to close the gap, first and foremost, on the points lead.
“…If you look at my worst finish [this season], I swept that weekend until that point, too. We’re up to the task. We just need to execute.”
Takuma Sato, who will start on Row 3 tomorrow, was second-fastest in “Happy Hour” with a lap at 218.814 mph in the No. 14 A.J. Foyt Racing Honda. James Hinchcliffe (pictured, left) continued to be stout, posting the third-quickest lap (218.759 mph) ahead of Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Scott Dixon in P4 (218.545) and Dario Franchitti in P5 (218.296).
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0