Jul 6, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
A few hours after claiming pole for tomorrow’s Pocono IndyCar 400, Marco Andretti (pictured, right) was quickest in final practice at the “Tricky Triangle” with a lap at 219.120 miles per hour.
The third-generation racer has had the strongest pace all weekend long, but also noted on Saturday that he had led all the sessions last month at the Milwaukee Mile as well – and that ended with a 20th place finish on Race Day due to electrical issues on his No. 25 Andretti Autosport Chevrolet.
“I really want to get this monkey off my back,” said Andretti, who joined father Michael and grandfather Mario as pole winners at Pocono today. “I want to get the wins coming. We need to close the gap, first and foremost, on the points lead.
“…If you look at my worst finish [this season], I swept that weekend until that point, too. We’re up to the task. We just need to execute.”
Takuma Sato, who will start on Row 3 tomorrow, was second-fastest in “Happy Hour” with a lap at 218.814 mph in the No. 14 A.J. Foyt Racing Honda. James Hinchcliffe (pictured, left) continued to be stout, posting the third-quickest lap (218.759 mph) ahead of Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Scott Dixon in P4 (218.545) and Dario Franchitti in P5 (218.296).
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 0
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 3
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)