Jul 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Before qualifying today, the stage appeared to be set for a battle between Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel to secure pole position on home soil, but such an event did not materialize. Instead, Rosberg incredibly dropped out in Q2, missing the cut and the German driver will start P11 tomorrow as a result.
“I was really shocked when I saw the times falling in Q2 today and realized that I was in P11,” Rosberg said in a team statement after qualifying. “I didn’t see it coming and we just underestimated how much the track would ramp up in terms of grip and lap time.”
The Mercedes driver, who is coming off the back of his third career victory last weekend at Silverstone, believes that he could have joined his teammate Lewis Hamilton on the front row of the grid.
“I could have been on the front row today and that’s why I’m so disappointed. It’s been a tough day but sometimes that’s how racing is. I will be doing my best to climb up through the field tomorrow but it won’t be easy.”
Tomorrow’s race will be the true test of just how good the W04 car is and quite whether Mercedes have remedied the tire issues blighting their pace. Rosberg will be required to fight through the field if he is to challenge for even a podium, leaving us with an interesting dynamic heading into the German Grand Prix.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 2
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)