Jul 7, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso believe that he was only able to challenge for a place on the podium due to strategy in the German Grand Prix this afternoon, stating that the Ferrari car is not quick enough to do so under normal circumstances.
The two-time world champion started on the medium compound tire, effectively giving him the reverse strategy to that of Sebastian Vettel and Romain Grosjean who finished 1st and 3rd respectively. Alonso did close on Grosjean on the final lap, but he could not find a way past and he is still pleased to have finished as high as 4th.
“It was very good the strategy,” Alonso said after the race. “I think with this strategy we have had the possibility to fight for the podium. We were not quick enough today, we didn’t have the pace, and even then we fight for the podium and we were very close to the leading group.
“It’s hard for me to imagine if we start 5th and we do soft-hard-hard-hard as the main competitors, I don’t think that I finish four seconds behind them or I fight with them, because we are slower than them. We were fighting with them thanks to the strategy.”
Alonso finished just 7.7 seconds behind race winner Sebastian Vettel despite starting the race down in P9. However, the gap between him and Vettel has grown to 34 points as we come towards the halfway point in the season.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)