Jul 7, 2013, 9:31 PM EST
Kurt Busch and Furniture Row Racing are continuing to punch above their weight – and doing it rather well. “The Outlaw” came out of last night’s metal-mangling finish to the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona with a sixth-place result, causing him to break into the Top 10 of the Sprint Cup standings for the first time all season.
“We didn’t quite have the speed and momentum to break through at the end and challenge [race winner] Jimmie [Johnson],” said Busch in a team statement. “But it was a solid finish, with a lot of high-fives with team members after the race.”
Time will tell if Busch can hold on to a Chase berth as the regular season continues to wind down. He jumped five positions last night to ninth in the championship, but is just two points ahead of Tony Stewart in 10th. Just as important, he still hasn’t hit the win column in 2013, while Martin Truex Jr. and Kasey Kahne – the two drivers currently in the Chase’s wild card spots – each have won once.
But the good news for Busch is that he has caught fire (the safe, figurative kind) in recent weeks. A 35th-place finish at Michigan last month knocked him back to 20th in the standings, but since then, he’s rattled off three consecutive Top-10 results with finishes of fourth at Sonoma and back-to-back sixths at Kentucky and Daytona.
Busch and Furniture Row still have a lot of fighting to do in order to make the Chase, but it seems their confidence is growing week by week.
”These Furniture Row Racing guys are working hard and it’s paying off,” Busch said of his team’s efforts. “We made mistakes here and there and everywhere, but we’re putting it together now and it’s starting to bear the fruit. We moved into the top-10 in points, so that’s pretty cool.
“We have a long way to go, and yet we still are getting better.”
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 0
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 5