Jul 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton would not have been hoping to finish the German Grand Prix in 5th place after starting on pole position following a sparkling performance in qualifying yesterday, but the British driver is willing to keep working away at the problems until they are resolved.
“That was really a tough race out there for us today,” Hamilton said in a team statement. “I didn’t have a great start and the Red Bulls were much quicker off the line, dropping me back to third. We really struggled with the second set of tires which then compromised the rest of my race. It’s a real shame as the team are working so hard and doing such a good job.”
Hamilton was aided by the safety car’s appearance and then utilized a fresh set of tires late on to pass Nico Hulkenberg, Paul di Resta and both McLarens en route to 5th place.
“We’ve clearly got a good car but for some reason, it doesn’t work in these hot conditions. We’ll keep working on it and the positive from today is that we were able to recover to fifth place with a good strategy and great pit stops, and we’re still second in the constructors’ table.
“Hopefully we’ll have a better chance at the next race but, for now, there’s a lot of hard work ahead of us.”
The British driver has claimed three pole positions for Mercedes so far this season, but he is yet to claim his first win for the German team since leaving McLaren at the end of last season.
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)