Jul 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso says he may now attend the Young Drivers Test’ which will take place at Silverstone next week.
The FIA is allowing race drivers to attend the test in order to evaluate the new tires Pirelli is bringing for the Hungarian Grand Prix. The sports’ governing body originally intended to forbid race drivers from testing new parts, but is now relaxing those restrictions.
Alonso said that makes the possibility of attending the test more attractive:
“When we arrived [in Germany] on Thursday, the Silverstone test did not seem that important, because the race drivers were only meant to be testing the tires, but having heard what the FIA had to say, it’s been confirmed that we can test updates and this makes it a much more sensible proposition.”
“If I get the call from the team, I’m ready to go”.
Ferrari have previously used Jules Bianchi, a member of their Driver Academy, at the tests. He has since made his race debut for Marussia.
Alonso stressed the team need to make progress with their car after lacking pace in the last two races:
“The team is doing its utmost to make the car more competitive and after tackling a few races without being too sure about our updates, today we can claim to have cleared up many of our doubts and to have understood which are the areas we must concentrate on to move the development forward.”
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 1
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 0
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 1
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0