Jul 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Fernando Alonso says he may now attend the Young Drivers Test’ which will take place at Silverstone next week.
The FIA is allowing race drivers to attend the test in order to evaluate the new tires Pirelli is bringing for the Hungarian Grand Prix. The sports’ governing body originally intended to forbid race drivers from testing new parts, but is now relaxing those restrictions.
Alonso said that makes the possibility of attending the test more attractive:
“When we arrived [in Germany] on Thursday, the Silverstone test did not seem that important, because the race drivers were only meant to be testing the tires, but having heard what the FIA had to say, it’s been confirmed that we can test updates and this makes it a much more sensible proposition.”
“If I get the call from the team, I’m ready to go”.
Ferrari have previously used Jules Bianchi, a member of their Driver Academy, at the tests. He has since made his race debut for Marussia.
Alonso stressed the team need to make progress with their car after lacking pace in the last two races:
“The team is doing its utmost to make the car more competitive and after tackling a few races without being too sure about our updates, today we can claim to have cleared up many of our doubts and to have understood which are the areas we must concentrate on to move the development forward.”
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1