Jul 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso says he may now attend the Young Drivers Test’ which will take place at Silverstone next week.
The FIA is allowing race drivers to attend the test in order to evaluate the new tires Pirelli is bringing for the Hungarian Grand Prix. The sports’ governing body originally intended to forbid race drivers from testing new parts, but is now relaxing those restrictions.
Alonso said that makes the possibility of attending the test more attractive:
“When we arrived [in Germany] on Thursday, the Silverstone test did not seem that important, because the race drivers were only meant to be testing the tires, but having heard what the FIA had to say, it’s been confirmed that we can test updates and this makes it a much more sensible proposition.”
“If I get the call from the team, I’m ready to go”.
Ferrari have previously used Jules Bianchi, a member of their Driver Academy, at the tests. He has since made his race debut for Marussia.
Alonso stressed the team need to make progress with their car after lacking pace in the last two races:
“The team is doing its utmost to make the car more competitive and after tackling a few races without being too sure about our updates, today we can claim to have cleared up many of our doubts and to have understood which are the areas we must concentrate on to move the development forward.”
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15