Jul 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Jenson Button blamed the Caterham drivers for costing him fifth place in the German Grand Prix.
The McLaren driver has held up by the pair, who were battling with Max Chilton for 17th place, in the final laps of the race.
The time Button lost allowed Lewis Hamilton to catch and pass him on the last lap.
“Really hoping to get fifth there but the Caterhams destroyed that possibility,” said Button after the race.
“They’re obviously racing for position but when you get blue flags, you get blue flags and you move over. But every time I tried to put it up the inside they just turned in.
“It’s a shame when it costs you so much and those points could be important to us in the championship.”
Both McLaren drivers lost positions on the last lap as Sergio Perez was overtaken for seventh place by Mark Webber. However they scored points for the first time in three races for McLaren.
Team principal Martin Whitmarsh praised their efforts: “Both drivers did a fantastic job this afternoon – they managed the limits of the tire, pushed aggressively when it was needed and were always able to maximize the pace of the car.
“It’s just a pity that they each lost position on the final lap.”
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3