Jul 8, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
The biggest star of the Detroit doubleheader weekend will resume his part-time assault on the IZOD IndyCar Series this weekend in Toronto.
Mike Conway, who had been all but officially confirmed after his win and third-place finish in Detroit, will return to Dale Coyne Racing’s No. 18 Sonny’s BBQ Honda for the Toronto and Houston doubleheader weekends.
Conway finished third in Toronto last year, his only podium finish for A.J. Foyt Racing, and looks to go two spots better in either – or perhaps both – races of the Honda Indy.
“Hopefully we will pick up from where we left off in Detroit,” Conway said in a release. “Toronto is one of my favorite circuits so there is no reason why we can’t do well there. Houston will be new to a lot of people, however Dale Coyne and my teammate Justin (Wilson) raced there in Champ Car so I am hoping to get some good feedback from them! They should both be really good weekends and I want to thank Dale for giving me another chance to be a part of it.”
Conway will be unable to race at Baltimore on Sept. 1 per his FIA World Endurance Championship commitments. Since Detroit, Pippa Mann (Texas and Pocono) and Ana Beatriz (Milwaukee and Iowa) have raced Coyne’s second car.
Mann was confirmed Monday to race the No. 18 Cyclops Gear Honda at Fontana. She finished a career-best 15th on Sunday in Pocono.
“Being a part of Dale Coyne Racing this year, and bringing Cyclops Gear to IndyCar has been such an amazing opportunity, and a great experience,” she said in a release. “I’ve had fun at every track I’ve had the opportunity to drive at, and I was pleased to bring home a top 15 for the team this time out in Pocono, and help them keep the No. 18 car up in the Leaders Circle points for 2014.”
Other candidates the rest of the year to fill the remaining races in the No. 18 car are James Davison and Stefan Wilson, who have each tested for Coyne this year but have not yet made their IndyCar race debuts.
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)