Jul 8, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The biggest star of the Detroit doubleheader weekend will resume his part-time assault on the IZOD IndyCar Series this weekend in Toronto.
Mike Conway, who had been all but officially confirmed after his win and third-place finish in Detroit, will return to Dale Coyne Racing’s No. 18 Sonny’s BBQ Honda for the Toronto and Houston doubleheader weekends.
Conway finished third in Toronto last year, his only podium finish for A.J. Foyt Racing, and looks to go two spots better in either – or perhaps both – races of the Honda Indy.
“Hopefully we will pick up from where we left off in Detroit,” Conway said in a release. “Toronto is one of my favorite circuits so there is no reason why we can’t do well there. Houston will be new to a lot of people, however Dale Coyne and my teammate Justin (Wilson) raced there in Champ Car so I am hoping to get some good feedback from them! They should both be really good weekends and I want to thank Dale for giving me another chance to be a part of it.”
Conway will be unable to race at Baltimore on Sept. 1 per his FIA World Endurance Championship commitments. Since Detroit, Pippa Mann (Texas and Pocono) and Ana Beatriz (Milwaukee and Iowa) have raced Coyne’s second car.
Mann was confirmed Monday to race the No. 18 Cyclops Gear Honda at Fontana. She finished a career-best 15th on Sunday in Pocono.
“Being a part of Dale Coyne Racing this year, and bringing Cyclops Gear to IndyCar has been such an amazing opportunity, and a great experience,” she said in a release. “I’ve had fun at every track I’ve had the opportunity to drive at, and I was pleased to bring home a top 15 for the team this time out in Pocono, and help them keep the No. 18 car up in the Leaders Circle points for 2014.”
Other candidates the rest of the year to fill the remaining races in the No. 18 car are James Davison and Stefan Wilson, who have each tested for Coyne this year but have not yet made their IndyCar race debuts.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 5
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1