Jul 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton admits his tendency to reveal his emotions can work against him.
The Mercedes driver’s personal life has been splashed across the pages of the popular press in recent weeks following the break-up of his relationship with Nicole Scherzinger.
In an interview for Sky Hamilton said his emotions lie close to the surface at times like this, which can cause problems for him:
“I wear my heart on my sleeve and that gets me in trouble a lot of the time and I generally find it very, very hard to fight my emotions.
I’m going through… I’m trying my hardest to be positive but I’m going through a really, really tough time at the moment with the loss of someone really, really special in my life. My world’s turned upside down.”
“But I have a job to motivate my team and if I come in with my head down and negative energy then that goes around to all my mechanics who work day and night, and I don’t ever want that,” he added. “So I’m really trying to pull myself together and keep my head up but it’s so hard to do.”
However Hamilton said he felt pleased his decision to move to Mercedes this year has been vindicated:
“I just feel proud because I’ve made mistakes, as we all do, but I’ve made a lot of bad decisions throughout my life and a lot of my decisions when I was younger were controlled on my dad, or heavily influenced by my dad. I’ve really wanted to be my own man and make my own decisions and make the right decisions because my dad is always right and I want to be like him in that sense.”
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 0
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 1
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2
- Lewis Hamilton to join TODAY Show on Wednesday 0