Emotional Hamilton “trying to pull myself together”

Jul 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Race Getty Images

Lewis Hamilton admits his tendency to reveal his emotions can work against him.

The Mercedes driver’s personal life has been splashed across the pages of the popular press in recent weeks following the break-up of his relationship with Nicole Scherzinger.

In an interview for Sky Hamilton said his emotions lie close to the surface at times like this, which can cause problems for him:

“I wear my heart on my sleeve and that gets me in trouble a lot of the time and I generally find it very, very hard to fight my emotions.

I’m going through… I’m trying my hardest to be positive but I’m going through a really, really tough time at the moment with the loss of someone really, really special in my life. My world’s turned upside down.”

“But I have a job to motivate my team and if I come in with my head down and negative energy then that goes around to all my mechanics who work day and night, and I don’t ever want that,” he added. “So I’m really trying to pull myself together and keep my head up but it’s so hard to do.”

However Hamilton said he felt pleased his decision to move to Mercedes this year has been vindicated:

“I just feel proud because I’ve made mistakes, as we all do, but I’ve made a lot of bad decisions throughout my life and a lot of my decisions when I was younger were controlled on my dad, or heavily influenced by my dad. I’ve really wanted to be my own man and make my own decisions and make the right decisions because my dad is always right and I want to be like him in that sense.”

Latest Posts
  1. Give thanks: NASCAR announcer Steve Byrnes shows ‘progress’ in cancer battle

Nov 27, 2014, 2:16 PM EST

Steve Byrnes Steve Byrnes

Steve Byrnes of Fox Sports gave friends and family a promising Thanksgiving update about his battle with Stage 4 head-and-neck cancer.

2. Hulkenberg confirmed for Porsche LMP1 at Spa and Le Mans

Nov 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Previews Getty Images

Hulkenberg gets an LMP1 opportunity with Porsche at Spa and Le Mans next season.

3. What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014

Nov 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

Irwin Tools Night Race Getty Images

What we’re thankful across the wide spectrum of motorsports in 2014.

4. Spend Black Friday doing a few laps on Charlotte Motor Speedway

Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST

(AP Photo/Terry Renna) AP

If you’re in the Charlotte area and want to have a great Black Friday experience, head on over to Charlotte Motor Speedway, where for a donation, you can drive on the actual racetrack.

5. Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports

Nov 26, 2014, 8:56 PM EST

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall) AP

Sam Hornish Jr. has a lot to give thanks for this Thanksgiving, most notably a new ride and a new lease on his Sprint Cup driving life with Richard Petty Motorsports.

6. NBCSN presents 14-hour ‘MECUM MARATHON’ on Thanksgiving Day

Nov 26, 2014, 4:40 PM EST

mecum dealmakers

NBCSN will present a 14-hour ‘Mecum Marathon’ starting Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.

7. Simon Pagenaud’s Ayrton Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned off

Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

98th Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Getty Images

Simon Pagenaud’s Indy 500 Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned for Ayrton Senna Foundation.

8. Report of Cole Whitt in for David Ragan at Front Row Racing ‘not true’

Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

David Ragan (Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Front Row Racing officials on Wednesday denied rumors of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 Ford for 2015.

9. F1 notes and quotes: Abu Dhabi Test Day 2

Nov 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

ADwrap Getty Images

A rundown through the field after the final day of on-track running for F1 2014.

10. Several NASCAR AMERICA specials to run over next month

Nov 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

nascar america

Some NASCAR AMERICA specials are on tap before the end of the year.

11. “Dream come true” for Italian Raffaele Marciello in Ferrari test

Nov 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

MarcielloAD1 Getty Images

Marciello gracious for opportunity, and was thinking of Jules Bianchi throughout the day.

12. A.J. Foyt still hospitalized but recovering after triple bypass

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Foyt112614 AP

A.J. Foyt with post-operative complication, but resolved.

13. Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014

Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM EST

WehrleinAD1 Getty Images

New Mercedes driver, same place on the charts to close out 2014 F1 season.

14. Life after Red Bull now beckons for JEV, where a new world awaits

Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EST

Vergne 17-11 AP

What’s next for Jean-Eric Vergne? An analysis of his time in F1, and where to from here.

15. Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit

Nov 26, 2014, 9:28 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

JEV out, and likely another rookie in at Toro Rosso for 2015.

16. NASCAR: Reddit users provide snapshot of fan reaction to this year’s Chase

Nov 25, 2014, 8:07 PM EST

O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge Getty Images

A post-season exit survey provides some very interesting fan data on NASCAR’s latest version of its post-season format.

17. Steve Letarte: Greg Ives’ familiarity with Hendrick will help Dale Jr., 88 team prosper (VIDEO)

Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Iowa Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

The outgoing crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. also talks about his successor needing to make his own mark.

18. Delaware court commissioner delays Kurt Busch hearing to Dec. 16

Nov 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EST

Ford EcoBoost 400 Getty Images

The Delaware family court hearing is a separate matter from the ongoing police investigation into allegations of assault against Busch by his ex-girlfriend.

19. NASCAR: Mike Hillman Jr. named crew chief for Brian Scott’s XFINITY program

Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Chicagoland Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

Brian Scott gets a new crew chief for 2015’s XFINITY campaign.

Video from NASCAR America