Jul 8, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Mercedes has approached the FIA to ask for a relaxation of the ban from participating in the Young Drivers’ Test which was handed down by the International Tribunal last month.
The team were banned from participating in next week’s test at Silverstone for illegally conducting a three-day test with Pirelli using their current car ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix.
After the ban was announced the FIA changed the rules governing the Young Drivers’ Test in response to the spate of punctures seen during the British Grand Prix. Race drivers are now being allowed to attend to test the new tires which Pirelli will introduce at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Now Autosport reports Mercedes is urging the FIA to let it attend at least part of the test so it can also evaluate the new tires.
Toto Wolff said it was important Mercedes should get a chance to test the new tires on safety grounds: “When it is about safety it would be good if all teams are clear whether they work on their cars.”
“But it is up to the FIA to decide. Safety is the priority for the FIA and I am sure they would safeguard that it is the same for everybody.”
Mercedes proposed the test ban as a suitable punishment during the tribunal hearing. Several of their rivals subsequently complained the penalty was too lenient.
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)