Jul 8, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Chip Ganassi Racing podium sweep grabbed most of the headlines at Pocono, but “best in class” behind the Ganassi trio and Team Penske’s Will Power was Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing sophomore Josef Newgarden, who grabbed his second top-five finish of the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season in fifth place.
Newgarden, who wasn’t even born the last time IndyCar raced at “The tricky triangle” in 1989, equaled his best result of the year set in Brazil in May. It’s also his first top-five on an oval in his IndyCar career.
The Hondas had a fuel mileage edge over Chevrolet – not for the first time, as anyone who watched the 2012 Indianapolis 500 can attest – but it was particularly prominent at Pocono on Sunday. Newgarden’s result was made all the more remarkable given that the No. 67 Honda needed an additional stop when fuel ran low on his car.
“We were buried twice today,” he said. “We started 15th and we were buried again about half way through, but we just kept our heads cool and continued to push.”
He pitted under caution twice, once for fuel and once for tires. He was ninth after his final pit stop on Lap 131, but enjoyed a methodical march back toward the front afterwards, culminating with a pass of Simon Pagenaud with just two laps to go for fifth.
“We just kept digging,” Newgarden said. “I didn’t want to settle for anything today. We took everything we could and nothing less. That’s hats off to the team because they kept pushing me in the car and telling me to keep digging. They gave me an incredible car to drive, and I can’t thank the team enough for that.”
Incidentally, Newgarden and Pagenaud were in podium position contention at Toronto last year before contact between the two sent Newgarden into the Turn 3 barriers. The Nashville native seeks a rebound as the series heads north of the border this weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52