Jul 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
After finishing second in the German Grand Prix Kimi Raikkonen was left wondering if he could have won the race by not pitting with 11 laps to go.
The Lotus driver took the lead on lap 41 of 60 when Sebastian Vettel made a final stop for fresh tires. But the Lotus had good tire life and Raikkonen wondered if he could have got to the end of the race without a further stop.
“After the Safety Car we were pretty OK and the cars, three of us, had similar speed and it’s very difficult to overtake anybody,” he said. “I could run longer and we had a think about it, if we can try to run until the end.”
“But we had a massive problem with the radio. I could hear them but they could only hear me between two corners. So I’m wondering if we should have done it, take a gamble and try to go to the end because the tires were pretty OK, my speed was pretty OK so it was hard to know what happens in the next ten laps.”
Despite the radio problems Lotus were able to hear Raikkonen tell them the tires were in reasonable condition. But they chose to make another stop:
“We had good speed,” said Raikkonen. “Obviously I got some help from Romain [Grosjean] to get past but that was… we would have had a big fight, anyhow. I could have probably passed him in a normal situation but obviously it would have cost me a lot of time.
“And as a team we try to win and I caught up with Seb [Vettel] but… everybody was behind each other but we are too close on speeds and it’s so difficult to overtake then. We tried everything that we had and failed to win but I think for the team we did a good race and got both cars on the podium, so as a team we’re happy but obviously I lost some more points to Seb in the championship.”
- 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Preview 0
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24