Jul 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
This past weekend was one of the busiest across the motorsports landscape, beyond the German Grand Prix (the second race of Formula One’s back-to-back weekends), IndyCar’s return to Pocono and NASCAR’s annual fireworks show/demolition derby/restrictor plate race in Daytona.
- NASCAR’s Nationwide Series opened the weekend at Daytona and Matt Kenseth edged James Buescher, who had won the February race at Daytona in 2012, for the win on Friday night. Kenseth is pictured right leading Kurt Busch, in the “Days of Thunder” throwback livery. Neither is competing for that series’ championship; the top five is separated by only 17 points with points leader Regan Smith just six points ahead of Sam Hornish Jr.
- In the last NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series race before a week off and its annual summer three-race “Western swing,” Khalid alBalooshi (Top Fuel), Johnny Gray (Funny Car), Mike Edwards (Pro Stock), and Matt Smith (Pro Stock Motorcycle) scored victories at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.
- As written by my colleague Chris Estrada on Saturday, the American Le Mans Series had its first race since Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May. Class winners were: P1: Klaus Graf and Lucas Luhr (Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD ARX-03a), P2: Ryan Briscoe and Scott Tucker (Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-03b), GT: John Edwards and Dirk Mueller (BMW Team RLL BMW Z4), PC: Bruno Junqueira and Duncan Ende (RSR Racing ORECA FLM09) and GTC: Spencer Pumpelly and Nelson Canache (Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche GT3 Cup).
- The Pirelli World Challenge resumed at Lime Rock Park after a month’s hiatus since Detroit, sharing the weekend with ALMS. Five total races took place with Mike Skeen and Johnny O’Connell winning Rounds 8 and 9 of GT, Lawson Aschenbach and Jack Baldwin taking Rounds 8 and 9 of GTS, Brett Sandberg (Rounds 4 and 5) and Ryan Winchester (Round 6) scoring TC victories and Robbie Davis (Rounds 4 and 5) and Joel Lipperini (Round 6) adding TCB class wins to their season totals. See the full race broadcast on July 20 at 4 p.m. EDT on NBC Sports Network.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
All cars to carry special tribute logos, decals for Justin Wilson this weekend, with Wilson’s old team also paying tribute.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Rahal out to claim his third win of the season at Sonoma, believing it will be the only way to beat Juan Pablo Montoya to the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series title.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Max Chilton has two years of F1 experience under his belt, but believes Ferrari will have a big say in who Haas hires for 2016.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Vettel defends Ferrari’s decision to try a one-stop strategy at Spa after suffering a tire failure on the penultimate lap of the race.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s season finale, the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Victory at Spa gives Rossi momentum heading into the final four rounds of the 2015 season, and potentially in the race for a seat with Haas F1 Team next season.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Off the back of winning Le Mans, Porsche confirms it will stay in the FIA World Endurance Championship for at least another three years.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
Just in time for the biggest race in drag racing, next weekend’s (Sept. 2-7) NHRA U.S. Nationals, Erica Enders is back where she wants to be: leading the NHRA Pro Stock point standings.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Double the amount of base points, in addition to bonus points, could have a major impact on who emerges as the 2015 IndyCar Series champion Sunday at Sonoma Raceway.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:52 PM EDT
This past Sunday’s ABC Supply 500 Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway proved to be a very costly proposition for numerous teams.
Aug 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
INDYCAR announced on Wednesday several infractions and manufacturer championship points updates following this past Sunday’s ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway.
IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video)
Aug 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
There will likely be heavy hearts, tears and a great deal of emotion at this weekend’s season-ending Go-Pro Grand Prix of Sonoma, as the mourning for driver Justin Wilson continues.
Six remaining IndyCar championship contenders to be busy in the days leading up to big race at Sonoma
Aug 26, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
The six remaining Verizon IndyCar Series contenders will be pretty busy over the next few days prior to Sunday’s championship-deciding Go-Pro Grand Prix of Sonoma.
Aug 25, 2015, 5:57 PM EDT
Allmendinger, Castroneves, Diffey and more reflect on the life lived by Justin Wilson.
Aug 25, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Tribute to Justin Wilson set to air on Tuesday night’s NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN.
Aug 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Justin Wilson saves six lives with organ donation, his brother confirms.
Aug 25, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Prost leads while Andretti FE makes powertrain switch to cap off Formula E testing at Donington Park.
Aug 25, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
FIA looks set to conduct a form of closed cockpit tests next month.
Aug 25, 2015, 7:00 AM EDT
MotorSportsTalk’s Tony DiZinno reflects on the life and impact of Justin Wilson.
Aug 24, 2015, 10:19 PM EDT
The IndyCar world begins to mourn the passing of Justin Wilson at the age of 37.
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 0
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2
- Justin Wilson dies at age 37 28
- Race Recap: Hamilton cruises to sixth victory of 2015 at Spa 3