Jul 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
This past weekend was one of the busiest across the motorsports landscape, beyond the German Grand Prix (the second race of Formula One’s back-to-back weekends), IndyCar’s return to Pocono and NASCAR’s annual fireworks show/demolition derby/restrictor plate race in Daytona.
- NASCAR’s Nationwide Series opened the weekend at Daytona and Matt Kenseth edged James Buescher, who had won the February race at Daytona in 2012, for the win on Friday night. Kenseth is pictured right leading Kurt Busch, in the “Days of Thunder” throwback livery. Neither is competing for that series’ championship; the top five is separated by only 17 points with points leader Regan Smith just six points ahead of Sam Hornish Jr.
- In the last NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series race before a week off and its annual summer three-race “Western swing,” Khalid alBalooshi (Top Fuel), Johnny Gray (Funny Car), Mike Edwards (Pro Stock), and Matt Smith (Pro Stock Motorcycle) scored victories at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.
- As written by my colleague Chris Estrada on Saturday, the American Le Mans Series had its first race since Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May. Class winners were: P1: Klaus Graf and Lucas Luhr (Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD ARX-03a), P2: Ryan Briscoe and Scott Tucker (Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-03b), GT: John Edwards and Dirk Mueller (BMW Team RLL BMW Z4), PC: Bruno Junqueira and Duncan Ende (RSR Racing ORECA FLM09) and GTC: Spencer Pumpelly and Nelson Canache (Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche GT3 Cup).
- The Pirelli World Challenge resumed at Lime Rock Park after a month’s hiatus since Detroit, sharing the weekend with ALMS. Five total races took place with Mike Skeen and Johnny O’Connell winning Rounds 8 and 9 of GT, Lawson Aschenbach and Jack Baldwin taking Rounds 8 and 9 of GTS, Brett Sandberg (Rounds 4 and 5) and Ryan Winchester (Round 6) scoring TC victories and Robbie Davis (Rounds 4 and 5) and Joel Lipperini (Round 6) adding TCB class wins to their season totals. See the full race broadcast on July 20 at 4 p.m. EDT on NBC Sports Network.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The Fontana race replay and championship celebration air tonight on NBCSN from 8 p.m. ET through 11:30 p.m. ET.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman have their ideas on who can beat out NASCAR’s two strongest teams for a championship.
Sep 2, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
The newest Chase-bound driver chats with NBCSN’s Marty Snider about his win on Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Sep 2, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
400 miles. 2 Chase Grid spots. It all comes down to Saturday night.
Sep 2, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Coming up today: Beating the Hendrick/Penske bloc; Atlanta edition of “Scan All 43″; Kyle Busch’s continued struggles; the career of crew chief Jimmy Fennig.
Sep 2, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Daly confirms the tough news on his Twitter page, citing a “lack of funding” as the cause for his dropping.
Sep 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Ron Hornaday Jr. is out of a ride and 18 employees are out of a job.
Sep 2, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Alonso to Britain’s Sky Sports: “I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago, and we will see what the future [holds]“
Sep 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Mazda Road to Indy regulars Scott Hargrove and Daniel Burkett secure titles in Porsche GT3 Canada and Atlantic, respectively.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Pierre Gasly, a Red Bull Junior, will join Caterham’s GP2 team for the rest of 2014.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Ryan Newman is the only Chase hopeful that controls his destiny going into Saturday’s Federated Auto Parts 400.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Mikhail Aleshin updates his social media pages for first time since scary Fontana accident on Friday night.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
What was Haas Formula is now Haas F1 Team as part of a new brand rollout.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
United Fiber & Data looks set to return to IndyCar for 2015 and the foreseeable future.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Team Penske president Tim Cindric all but confirms Will Power will run the No. 1 in 2015.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
MAVTV announces IndyCar’s return to Fontana for two more years through 2016, although official confirmation from the sanctioning body and a date remains to be revealed.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Kahne to NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan: “We need to build off of this…As a team, we need to be stronger together.”
Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
NASCAR AMERICA’S Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman believe that the three-time Sprint Cup champion handled himself well throughout a difficult weekend.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Organizers of the Russian Grand Prix appear to be getting behind their countryman as F1’s first visit to Sochi draws closer.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Richie Crampton, Alexis DeJoria, Shane Gray and Eddie Krawiec captured U.S. Nationals wins on Monday.
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1