Jul 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
This past weekend was one of the busiest across the motorsports landscape, beyond the German Grand Prix (the second race of Formula One’s back-to-back weekends), IndyCar’s return to Pocono and NASCAR’s annual fireworks show/demolition derby/restrictor plate race in Daytona.
- NASCAR’s Nationwide Series opened the weekend at Daytona and Matt Kenseth edged James Buescher, who had won the February race at Daytona in 2012, for the win on Friday night. Kenseth is pictured right leading Kurt Busch, in the “Days of Thunder” throwback livery. Neither is competing for that series’ championship; the top five is separated by only 17 points with points leader Regan Smith just six points ahead of Sam Hornish Jr.
- In the last NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series race before a week off and its annual summer three-race “Western swing,” Khalid alBalooshi (Top Fuel), Johnny Gray (Funny Car), Mike Edwards (Pro Stock), and Matt Smith (Pro Stock Motorcycle) scored victories at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.
- As written by my colleague Chris Estrada on Saturday, the American Le Mans Series had its first race since Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May. Class winners were: P1: Klaus Graf and Lucas Luhr (Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD ARX-03a), P2: Ryan Briscoe and Scott Tucker (Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-03b), GT: John Edwards and Dirk Mueller (BMW Team RLL BMW Z4), PC: Bruno Junqueira and Duncan Ende (RSR Racing ORECA FLM09) and GTC: Spencer Pumpelly and Nelson Canache (Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche GT3 Cup).
- The Pirelli World Challenge resumed at Lime Rock Park after a month’s hiatus since Detroit, sharing the weekend with ALMS. Five total races took place with Mike Skeen and Johnny O’Connell winning Rounds 8 and 9 of GT, Lawson Aschenbach and Jack Baldwin taking Rounds 8 and 9 of GTS, Brett Sandberg (Rounds 4 and 5) and Ryan Winchester (Round 6) scoring TC victories and Robbie Davis (Rounds 4 and 5) and Joel Lipperini (Round 6) adding TCB class wins to their season totals. See the full race broadcast on July 20 at 4 p.m. EDT on NBC Sports Network.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rossi is pushing to become the first American driver to make an F1 start since 2007.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT
Enerson emerges from a scrap with Harvey for Indy Lights pole.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Jamin, Cooper emerge victorious to kick off the weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Nasr calls on the team to make it through a rough patch ahead of the next raft of updates in Belgium.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
The Mid-Ohio dominator tops Friday practice in 2015.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Verstappen joins Team Redline’s sim racing roster in a bid to keep sharp when not on the track.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the paddock at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
We round up all of the latest news and developments in Formula E ahead of pre-season testing next month.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
With victory in Hungary, Vettel closed the gap at the top to 42 points – but can he catch Lewis Hamilton and challenge for a fifth world title?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
First blood to Bourdais in practice at Mid-Ohio ahead of Power and Newgarden.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Hinchcliffe’s recovery continues following his accident in practice for the Indy 500 back in May.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Gutierrez claims his work in a reserve role at Ferrari is helping to open up some new opportunities for 2016.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Josef Newgarden’s future will become a talking point at some stage, but it appears it will be after the season.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 AM EDT
Umphrey’s McGee on a GTSport Racing Porsche Cayman S? Believe it.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:00 AM EDT
TV times from Mid-Ohio this weekend.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Discounted tickets set to go on sale this Friday in a bid to improve attendance figures.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Derrick Walker on the prowl for whatever’s next in his long racing career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Despite running fifth in the standings with three races to go, Power hasn’t given up on retaining the no. 1 for 2016.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The 2016 F1 season is set to swell to a record 21 races.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Ericsson reflects on his first half-season with Sauber that has brought his first points in F1, but also presented some missed opportunities.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1