Jul 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
This past weekend was one of the busiest across the motorsports landscape, beyond the German Grand Prix (the second race of Formula One’s back-to-back weekends), IndyCar’s return to Pocono and NASCAR’s annual fireworks show/demolition derby/restrictor plate race in Daytona.
- NASCAR’s Nationwide Series opened the weekend at Daytona and Matt Kenseth edged James Buescher, who had won the February race at Daytona in 2012, for the win on Friday night. Kenseth is pictured right leading Kurt Busch, in the “Days of Thunder” throwback livery. Neither is competing for that series’ championship; the top five is separated by only 17 points with points leader Regan Smith just six points ahead of Sam Hornish Jr.
- In the last NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series race before a week off and its annual summer three-race “Western swing,” Khalid alBalooshi (Top Fuel), Johnny Gray (Funny Car), Mike Edwards (Pro Stock), and Matt Smith (Pro Stock Motorcycle) scored victories at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.
- As written by my colleague Chris Estrada on Saturday, the American Le Mans Series had its first race since Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May. Class winners were: P1: Klaus Graf and Lucas Luhr (Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD ARX-03a), P2: Ryan Briscoe and Scott Tucker (Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-03b), GT: John Edwards and Dirk Mueller (BMW Team RLL BMW Z4), PC: Bruno Junqueira and Duncan Ende (RSR Racing ORECA FLM09) and GTC: Spencer Pumpelly and Nelson Canache (Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche GT3 Cup).
- The Pirelli World Challenge resumed at Lime Rock Park after a month’s hiatus since Detroit, sharing the weekend with ALMS. Five total races took place with Mike Skeen and Johnny O’Connell winning Rounds 8 and 9 of GT, Lawson Aschenbach and Jack Baldwin taking Rounds 8 and 9 of GTS, Brett Sandberg (Rounds 4 and 5) and Ryan Winchester (Round 6) scoring TC victories and Robbie Davis (Rounds 4 and 5) and Joel Lipperini (Round 6) adding TCB class wins to their season totals. See the full race broadcast on July 20 at 4 p.m. EDT on NBC Sports Network.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Australian driver enjoys a solid first day of testing in Jerez, completing more laps than the team managed in four days at last year’s opening test.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
New car only arrived in Spain on Sunday evening after being fired up in the factory on Saturday.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
McLaren CEO confirms that there will be a change in design at some point this year, but refuses to say when.
Feb 1, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
German driver makes a good start to life with Ferrari, but it is Mercedes who puts in the performance of the day with an incredible 157 laps completed.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:45 AM EST
German driver wants to avoid a repeat of his last race defeat to Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in 2014.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
After storming to third place in the constructors’ championship in 2014, Williams must now consolidate its rise and push for race wins.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
As the post-Vettel era begins at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat prepare to step up to the plate.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Technical chief Paddy Lowe working on improved reliability in 2015 after some issues last season.
Feb 1, 2015, 5:00 AM EST
F1 pre-season gets underway in Jerez with the first public test.
Feb 1, 2015, 4:35 AM EST
Something out of the ordinary from Red Bull as pre-season testing begins in Jerez, Spain.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:09 PM EST
Given the way the 2014 season turned out for him, Jimmie Johnson would have preferred to see the old Chase for the Sprint Cup format rather than the new elimination format.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
With Al-Anabi Racing now defunct, team owner Alan Johnson has picked up the remnants and intends on racing one Top Fuel dragster, with 2013 champ Shawn Langdon behind the wheel, in at least the first two races of the 2015 season.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:01 PM EST
Jeff Gordon wanted to see his successor continue on the legacy of the No. 24 car. Chase Elliott is happy to continue that tradition.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Mexican driver is excited for the return of his home grand prix in November, even if he won’t be racing.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
News and notes after Indy Lights wraps up its week of testing in Homestead.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 PM EST
Richard Childress Racing and Matt McCall have reached settlement on a lawsuit that sought to keep McCall from becoming Jamie McMurray’s crew chief for the 2015 season.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Mexican driver feels that Force India’s hunger can take the team up the grid this year.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Kenseth and DeWalt are back together, and the six-race sponsorship dates are revealed.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Ron Dennis makes clear that Alonso is locked into his new contract with the British team.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Herald Scotland checks in with Dario Franchitti on his new life outside the cockpit.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 2
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 3
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0