Jul 9, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
INDYCAR has announced updates to its standing start procedure, which will be implemented in Race 1 of both this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto (Saturday and Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) and Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston in October.
Here are the key points from the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series rulebook:
- COUNTDOWN: Safety car will lead the formation lap and drivers will follow single-file in starting order.
- FORMATION LAP: Drivers will remain in starting order with no overtaking. Speed of formation lap will be set by the safety car.
- GRID: At the end of the formation lap, drivers will take their starting positions with the front wheels of the car inside its designated grid line.
- LIGHTS: The Race Director will make a five-second declaration via radio before the lights sequence begins. Said sequence will begin when the first two rows of red lights turn on. The red lights will continue to turn on from the bottom of the panel, two rows at a time, for a total of six steps (12 rows). Once the panel is filled, there will be a delay between one half-second and three seconds before the red lights turn green to start the race.
Penalties will be imposed for false starts, which will be declared when a car moves forward or is out of its assigned position before the end of the light sequence. The Race Director can also call an aborted start before the final row of red lights turn on; if that occurs, a standard rolling start will occur and all competitors that are found to have caused the aborted start will be sent to the rear of the field.
The second races of the Toronto and Houston doubleheaders will utilize the rolling starts.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT
Honda set to take the wraps off its superspeedway oval challenger this Thursday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:37 PM EDT
NBCSN’s Townsend Bell looks back at the instant classic that was Barber, for MotorSportsTalk.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Munoz, Andretti end sixth and 10th, adding to RHR’s fifth place, to give Andretti Autosport a triple top-10 at Barber.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT
Williams has a down financial year in 2014 but should be much better off in 2015.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Power ends P4 at Barber despite drive-through penalty early in the race.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Watch the pair of Indy Lights races from Barber at midnight ET.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
It was Ron Capps’ Day in Baytown, Texas.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:24 PM EDT
Newgarden rolls out the thank you mat after scoring his elusive first IndyCar victory.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay not satisfied with first top-five finish of 2015.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:42 PM EDT
Penske pair still 1-2 after tough afternoon in Barber.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
Graham Rahal comes up short in best performance in a year.
Apr 26, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
Newgarden scores first career win at Barber.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
We’re halfway at Barber, with Graham Rahal the leader at Lap 45 and pit stops underway.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Meeke becomes the first British driver to win in the WRC in 13 years.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
Results from the Indy Lights’ series second race at Barber Motorsports Park
Apr 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Watch the fourth round of the IndyCar season, from Barber Motorsports Park, at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lotus youngster beats Nyck de Vries in a truncated second race of the Formula Renault 3.5 season.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
What to watch for ahead of Round 4 of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Marquez undergoes minor surgery on his left hand, and is in doubt for next weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0