Jul 9, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
INDYCAR has announced updates to its standing start procedure, which will be implemented in Race 1 of both this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto (Saturday and Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) and Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston in October.
Here are the key points from the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series rulebook:
- COUNTDOWN: Safety car will lead the formation lap and drivers will follow single-file in starting order.
- FORMATION LAP: Drivers will remain in starting order with no overtaking. Speed of formation lap will be set by the safety car.
- GRID: At the end of the formation lap, drivers will take their starting positions with the front wheels of the car inside its designated grid line.
- LIGHTS: The Race Director will make a five-second declaration via radio before the lights sequence begins. Said sequence will begin when the first two rows of red lights turn on. The red lights will continue to turn on from the bottom of the panel, two rows at a time, for a total of six steps (12 rows). Once the panel is filled, there will be a delay between one half-second and three seconds before the red lights turn green to start the race.
Penalties will be imposed for false starts, which will be declared when a car moves forward or is out of its assigned position before the end of the light sequence. The Race Director can also call an aborted start before the final row of red lights turn on; if that occurs, a standard rolling start will occur and all competitors that are found to have caused the aborted start will be sent to the rear of the field.
The second races of the Toronto and Houston doubleheaders will utilize the rolling starts.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
All smiles for Daniel after qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Massa and Bottas both make the top 10 despite wet conditions playing against them.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 AM EDT
Jim Clark’s record that has stood since 1968 has now been broken by Hamilton in China.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT
Could Fernando Alonso or Sebastian Vettel take advantage of the wet track to snatch pole position?
Apr 19, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT
Report reveals that Red Bull failed to supply accurate data, and what was supplied actually undermined the team’s argument.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Red Bull driver fastest in a quiet final session ahead of qualifying later today.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Significant modifications to the Cup cars’ powerplants are likely to come within the next two seasons.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The two Andretti Autosport drivers appear to have put Sunday’s wreck behind them.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
You can’t say these drivers don’t have a sense of humor.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
The second round of the championship in Putrajaya, Malaysia will see drivers contest a short, 1.6-mile street circuit.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Two races into his return to open-wheel, the former Indy 500 winner says he’s having a tough time with re-learning tracks.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Here’s a look at the grid based on average qualifying positions through 2 races in 2014.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
IndyCar drivers do their best “hey, this is what this sounds like!” imitations.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Two practice sessions begin a new year for the WEC.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Making the V6s louder might not be such an easy fix.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
German driver not yet happy with his own performance in China, but his long run pace suggests that a podium finish may be within his reach.
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (6)