Jul 9, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
INDYCAR has announced updates to its standing start procedure, which will be implemented in Race 1 of both this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto (Saturday and Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) and Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston in October.
Here are the key points from the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series rulebook:
- COUNTDOWN: Safety car will lead the formation lap and drivers will follow single-file in starting order.
- FORMATION LAP: Drivers will remain in starting order with no overtaking. Speed of formation lap will be set by the safety car.
- GRID: At the end of the formation lap, drivers will take their starting positions with the front wheels of the car inside its designated grid line.
- LIGHTS: The Race Director will make a five-second declaration via radio before the lights sequence begins. Said sequence will begin when the first two rows of red lights turn on. The red lights will continue to turn on from the bottom of the panel, two rows at a time, for a total of six steps (12 rows). Once the panel is filled, there will be a delay between one half-second and three seconds before the red lights turn green to start the race.
Penalties will be imposed for false starts, which will be declared when a car moves forward or is out of its assigned position before the end of the light sequence. The Race Director can also call an aborted start before the final row of red lights turn on; if that occurs, a standard rolling start will occur and all competitors that are found to have caused the aborted start will be sent to the rear of the field.
The second races of the Toronto and Houston doubleheaders will utilize the rolling starts.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
A double pole, double win debut weekend for Trevor Carlin’s team was a statement – but the team’s big takeaway was how different the U.S. environment is.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Helio Castroneves pulls an April Fool’s prank.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
A challenging weekend for Scott Dixon occurs from qualifying through the race in St. Petersburg.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Pierre Gasly to test STR10 after Spanish Grand Prix weekend in May.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
While St. Petersburg had its positives as a weekend, Tony DiZinno reflects on two disconcerting themes that emerged from the race itself.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
ABC Supply steps up again, now as Pocono race title sponsor.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
Alexander Rossi looks ahead to the upcoming GP2 season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Off the Grid Mexico kicks off with episode one of a six-part digital series.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Jann Mardenborough and two spectators were released after this weekend’s VLN crash at the Nurburgring.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Subaru’s Red Bull GRC challenger revealed.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
ESM recaps its test from the Prologue at Paul Ricard.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
IMS statement comes out after Indiana’s recent religious freedom legislation.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Catching up on the rest of the action from St. Petersburg, with a run through the moments of contact that triggered avoidable contact penalties.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Rolling Stones to play at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
Loose debris hit by a car, then goes over wall and hits a fan outside Turn 10 at St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Hawksworth, Filippi impress on opening outings with their new teams in St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
IndyCar’s “old guard” reigned in St. Petersburg, as the new manufacturer aero kits debuted.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Victory number 70 of the Italian’s remarkable Moto GP career.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
However, Williams test driver Susie Wolff believes that women should be reaching F1 in a more organic way.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
KVSH’s Bourdais gets result after a consistent drive; KV’s Coletti stars but fades after late race splash-and-dash for fuel.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6