Jul 9, 2013, 2:26 PM EST
INDYCAR has announced updates to its standing start procedure, which will be implemented in Race 1 of both this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto (Saturday and Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) and Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston in October.
Here are the key points from the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series rulebook:
- COUNTDOWN: Safety car will lead the formation lap and drivers will follow single-file in starting order.
- FORMATION LAP: Drivers will remain in starting order with no overtaking. Speed of formation lap will be set by the safety car.
- GRID: At the end of the formation lap, drivers will take their starting positions with the front wheels of the car inside its designated grid line.
- LIGHTS: The Race Director will make a five-second declaration via radio before the lights sequence begins. Said sequence will begin when the first two rows of red lights turn on. The red lights will continue to turn on from the bottom of the panel, two rows at a time, for a total of six steps (12 rows). Once the panel is filled, there will be a delay between one half-second and three seconds before the red lights turn green to start the race.
Penalties will be imposed for false starts, which will be declared when a car moves forward or is out of its assigned position before the end of the light sequence. The Race Director can also call an aborted start before the final row of red lights turn on; if that occurs, a standard rolling start will occur and all competitors that are found to have caused the aborted start will be sent to the rear of the field.
The second races of the Toronto and Houston doubleheaders will utilize the rolling starts.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Argentinian driver confirms his plans for the new season after a difficult 2014 with Hilmer Motorsport.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
A full round-up from the penultimate day of F1 pre-season testing in Barcelona.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
Frenchman joined the team as a test driver for the 2015 season.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Bourdais, Hawksworth, Aldo Andretti and more all have birthdays today, February 28.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Despite posting a time that, when adjusted to account for tire compounds, could be 1.4 seconds quicker than the rest of the field, the Briton was unenthused about his performance.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
How well does Josef Newgarden dunk? Find out in video he does with Indiana Pacers “Power Pack.”
Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Today was Sainz’s last run in the Toro Rosso before his F1 debut at the Australian Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
Danish driver reveals he received the call to say he would not be racing in F1 very late, preventing him from securing a drive elsewhere in 2015.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Is “Focus” IndyCar-focused? No. Is it cool to have IndyCar as a part of a Will Smith movie? Definitely.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Brazilian driver finishes second on day three of the final test in Barcelona, two-tenths of a second behind pace-setter Lewis Hamilton.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
German driver completes 234 laps in just a day and a half in Barcelona as he continues to learn about the VJM08.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:02 PM EST
British driver finishes two-tenths of a second clear of Felipe Massa on the penultimate day of pre-season testing in Barcelona.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Four-time world champion will get his final test run in the new Ferrari on Sunday ahead of his grand prix debut for the team next month.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
We wish Mario Andretti, one of the all-time greats, a happy 75th birthday.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Team founder John Booth is confident that the revived outfit will race in the Australian Grand Prix on March 15.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
IndyCar drivers hit several race markets for “Focus” premieres.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
French driver set for a fourth season in GP2 this year with Lazarus.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
One of California’s more prestigious racing awards has its nominees revealed.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3