Jul 9, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
INDYCAR has announced updates to its standing start procedure, which will be implemented in Race 1 of both this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto (Saturday and Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) and Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston in October.
Here are the key points from the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series rulebook:
- COUNTDOWN: Safety car will lead the formation lap and drivers will follow single-file in starting order.
- FORMATION LAP: Drivers will remain in starting order with no overtaking. Speed of formation lap will be set by the safety car.
- GRID: At the end of the formation lap, drivers will take their starting positions with the front wheels of the car inside its designated grid line.
- LIGHTS: The Race Director will make a five-second declaration via radio before the lights sequence begins. Said sequence will begin when the first two rows of red lights turn on. The red lights will continue to turn on from the bottom of the panel, two rows at a time, for a total of six steps (12 rows). Once the panel is filled, there will be a delay between one half-second and three seconds before the red lights turn green to start the race.
Penalties will be imposed for false starts, which will be declared when a car moves forward or is out of its assigned position before the end of the light sequence. The Race Director can also call an aborted start before the final row of red lights turn on; if that occurs, a standard rolling start will occur and all competitors that are found to have caused the aborted start will be sent to the rear of the field.
The second races of the Toronto and Houston doubleheaders will utilize the rolling starts.
May 29, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Frenchman hopes to bounce back in Canada next weekend after finishing outside of the points in Monaco.
May 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Will Power and Helio Castroneves complete the front row for first of two IndyCar races in Detroit.
May 29, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Sainz went on to finish the race in tenth place, but it all very nearly ended far earlier in Monaco last Sunday.
May 29, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
GT racer returns after making his Formula E debut in Uruguay at the end of 2014.
May 29, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Brembo busy with IndyCar, TUDOR and World Challenge this weekend.
May 29, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Kanaan leads the way in the T-Swift mobile.
May 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso’s manager confident the Spaniard was right to leave Ferrari and join McLaren for 2015.
May 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Ecclestone has given the race promoters two months to make a decision on whether to revive the Indian Grand Prix or not.
May 29, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
What’s next for Joni Wiman, the defending Red Bull Global Rallycross champion?
May 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Ricciardo announced himself on F1’s big stage in Canada last year with the first of three victories in 2014.
May 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Here’s how field did in last year’s doubleheaders.
May 29, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Who will emerge on top after a crucial weekend in Detroit?
May 29, 2015, 12:35 AM EDT
Larry Dixon is making up for lost time – in VERY fast way, that is – as in the neighborhood of 320-plus mph and less than four seconds.
May 28, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Sarah Cornett-Ching is opening a lot of eyes in the ARCA Series this season.
May 28, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
Here’s the field for this year’s Red Bull GRC season opener in Ft. Lauderdale.
May 28, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT
Taylor Swift on an IndyCar? Believe it.
May 28, 2015, 6:49 PM EDT
With the completion of the Kansas Nationals this past Sunday, the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series has reached the one-third point of the 2015 season.
May 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Ex-F1 driver ponders whether Hamilton’s trust in Mercedes may have taken a hit after his Monaco defeat.
May 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
FIA looking for more teams to join the sport in the next two seasons.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 0
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2