Jul 10, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
In his eighth decade, Shepherd outstrips by far the oldest drivers who’ve successfully competed in Formula One:
Oldest F1 driver to… start a race
Louis Chiron: 55 years, 309 days
The record for the oldest driver ever to compete in a Formula One race belongs to Louis Chiron. He was over a decade and a half Shepherd’s junior when he started the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix for Lancia. Chiron completed 95 of the 100 laps and finished sixth.
Oldest F1 driver to… win a race
Luigi Fagioli: 53 years, 35 days
The ‘Abruzzi robber’ reluctantly handed his Alfa-Romeo to team mate Juan-Manuel Fangio at Reims in 1951, who went on to win. Fagioli shared the triumph, also becoming the oldest driver ever to finish on the podium. But he turned his back on grand prix racing after that race, and died after a crash at Monaco the following year.
Oldest F1 driver to… set pole position
Giuseppe Farina: 47 years, 90 days
The original world champion put his Ferrari on pole position for the Argentinean Grand Prix in 1954. But he finished second in the race to his former team mate – and home hero – Fangio.
Oldest F1 driver to… win the world championship
Juan Manuel Fangio: 46 years, 53 days
The driver even his rivals called ‘Maestro’ won his fifth and final world championship with one of the finest drives the sport has ever seen. Driving his Maserati 250F at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, Fangio overcame a huge delay during a mid-race pit stop to catch and pass the Ferraris of Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins to win the race and the title.
Oldest F1 driver to… start the last race
Mark Webber, 36 years, 323 says
Formula One is a young man’s game these days. But Webber can console himself with the thought that he’s little more than half Morgan Shepherd’s age, so he still has a lot more racing left in him.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4