Jul 10, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
This weekend is Denny Hamlin’s last, last stand for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
With just eight races remaining until the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup, and after missing four races earlier this year due to his injuries sustained at Fontana, Hamlin sits 26th in points, 122 behind 20th-placed Paul Menard. Hamlin would need at least two wins and to get up to 20th in eight races, a remote possibility at best.
It’s been a particularly brutal stretch of late for the driver of the No. 11 FedEx Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing. Hamlin has just one top-10 finish in the last six races, and finishes of 30th or worse in four of the other five.
Since Hamlin entered Sprint Cup full-time in 2006, he has not missed the Chase.
The only realistic hope for Hamlin to begin an eight-race surge would be a win this weekend at Loudon, where he won the September race last year and finished second to Kasey Kahne in the July race. Even then, he’d still need a lot of help.
But from a pride standpoint, since Hamlin has gone winless since last September at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway, he’ll be desperate to shake this rough form of late and get back to his winning ways. And, as MotorSportsTalk noted a week ago, the word “quit” is not in Hamlin’s vocabulary.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)