Jul 10, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Robby Gordon’s new Stadium Super Trucks series just got a voicemail from the 1990s: They called and want their IndyCar superstars back.
Three of the biggest names during one of open-wheel racing’s most memorable decades – Gordon, Paul Tracy and Jimmy Vasser – will take to the streets of Toronto this weekend in a completely different form of machinery: the Stadium Super Trucks.
A late add to what was already a jam-packed schedule, SST will run a doubleheader for Rounds 7 and 8 of its season. Round 7 will occur Saturday evening after the IZOD IndyCar Series concludes its first race of the weekend, will Round 8 will occur just before IndyCar’s second race.
These three bring huge star power and impressive resumes to SST from their time in Toronto. Tracy, the local son from Scarborough, Ontario, who last raced an IndyCar in Toronto in 2011, has two prior wins (2003 and 1993) at Exhibition Place.
Vasser, the 1996 IndyCar champion, has a best result of second (2004) in Toronto. The KV Racing Technology co-owner (pictured, right) will be pulling double duty as he’ll also perform his usual role on Tony Kanaan’s radio.
Gordon last raced in Toronto in 1999, with a best result of fifth place in 1995 driving for Derrick Walker. Walker is now IndyCar’s new president of competition and operations.
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)