Jul 10, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Nine races into the 2013 season Sebastian Vettel has made the largest gains over the points total he had at this point last year.
Vettel has accrued more than half as many points as he’d scored after the ninth race of 2012.
But the identity of the driver to have made the next-greatest gain may be something of a surprise. Felipe Massa has had a poor run in the last four races with a series of crashes and spins. Yet he’s still amassed 34 points more than he managed during his disastrous start to last season, thanks in part to his podium finish in Spain.
Kimi Raikkonen has gained almost as many points after a strong start to the season with a win and four second places.
But Vettel’s closest challenge in the championship, Fernando Alonso, has seven points less than he’d scored by round nine of the 2012 campaign. And team mate Mark Webber is down by 23 points.
Here are the winners and losers in the championship so far:
|Driver||2013 so far||2012 (nine races)||Difference|
|Paul di Resta||36||27||+9|
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: Abu Dhabi GP Race Day live on NBCSN from 7a ET 0
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0