Jul 11, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has said that he has total confidence in Felipe Massa, claiming that the team will not rush into making a decision about his future.
Massa has failed to match the form of his teammate, Fernando Alonso, so far this season, and with his contract expiring at the end of the season, many believe that he could be dropped for 2014. However, di Montezemolo is happy with the Brazilian’s work for the team.
“Felipe is fully aware he can count on our total confidence in him,” di Montezemolo said on the team’s website. “I hope he will soon secure the results that will show his talent to the full, such as the great starts he pulled off at the last two Grands Prix.
“The future? We will talk about that further down the line as there’s no hurry.”
Massa’s recent form has failed to impress many, having failed to finish on the podium since the Spanish Grand Prix back in May. Last time out in Germany, the Brazilian driver retired after just three laps following a gearbox failure.
The driver market is finely poised for next season with Red Bull set to take on a new driver when Mark Webber retires. Should Ferrari wish to release Massa after eight seasons with the team, it would cause an even greater reshuffle on the 2014 grid.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52