Jul 11, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Honda have today confirmed that they will be basing their Formula One operations in the UK as they prepare to return to the sport in 2015.
The Japanese engine supplier announced that they would be returning after a six season break earlier this year, supplying McLaren with power units from 2015 onwards.
Today, it has been confirmed that Honda will use Milton Keynes – the same city in which Red Bull are based – as their primary European facility for the foreseeable future. This is around sixty minutes away from McLaren’s factory in Woking and also in close proximity of Silverstone, the circuit that has hosted the British Grand Prix since 1987. The area is popular for teams to base their operations in, with Force India and Mercedes also located near the historic circuit.
Talking to the official Formula One website, Honda’s chief officer of motorsports Yasuhisa Arai said: “With the confirmation of a new F1 operation base in UK, our preparation to join F1 has become more specific and concrete. To meet and exceed the expectations of our fans, we will accelerate our development to bring back the unique Honda engine sound onto the track.”
Honda’s entry to Formula One will come just one year after the new wave of regulations that introduce V6 turbocharged engines to the sport. The Japanese supplier has also expressed an interest in supplying other teams from 2015 onwards.
- Rick Allen named lead NASCAR announcer for NBC Sports 0
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement 9
- 2014 F1 schedule finalized without New Jersey, Mexico, and Korea 0
- Jeff Burton joins NBC Sports as NASCAR analyst 2
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN 6
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Stewart: There’s “a lot of potential” for Danica Patrick (7)
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (7)
- NASCAR buys Iowa Speedway, no Cup date planned (UPDATED) (6)
- FIA considering pole trophy and permanent numbers (6)