Jul 12, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Jenson Button has said that his most memorable overtakes were those on Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher while speaking in an interview with the official Formula One website.
Button was speaking as part of a series called ‘The Finishing Line’ in which drivers are asked more personal questions stemming away from the usual ambiguity of press releases, giving a great insight to their lives and memories.
“Overtaking is always a good feeling,” Button explained. “A couple that have been mentioned recently aren’t necessarily the best moves, but were great moments.
“Going past Sebastian [Vettel] on the last lap at Montreal in 2011 to win the race is one.”
Button had endured a torrid race involving a crash with his teammate, a drive-through penalty, numerous safety cars and a red flag which had relegated him to last place. Eventually though, the Briton came through to seize the victory from Vettel on the final lap of the race in Montreal.
“Overtaking Michael Schumacher at my first ever British Grand Prix is another. There were also some special moves in Brazil, in 2009, when I won the world title having started 15th on the grid but finishing fifth to secure the points I needed.”
Button’s performance in Brazil was certainly more impressive than his singing after the checkered flag, with his rendition of Queen’s “We are the Champions” shocking fans all over the world even if he was full of emotion having secured the 2009 drivers’ championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10