Jul 12, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Dario Franchitti’s experience level is such that he has won poles at Toronto in three different decades. His pole on Friday for the first of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader weekend is his fifth on the streets of Exhibition Place, to go along with other poles in 1997 (his rookie year in CART), 1998, 2009 and 2012.
“Gee, my first one was 1997. T.K. was here. Will was still at school. Dixie, what were you doing in 1997?” the Scot asked of several of his fellow Firestone Fast Six participants.
Franchitti made things a bit more difficult for himself after an incident in the morning, which sent his Target Chip Ganassi Racing crew scrambling to fix the right hand side of his car. The pole is his third of 2013, to go along with other poles at Long Beach and Detroit race one.
“It feels good to get our third pole of the year,” he said. “I made it difficult this morning. I made a mistake in Turn 5 there, took the right side off the car. The guys had to work and repair the car.
“But the Target car was good on Firestone blacks, Firestone reds. I was able to keep finding a little bit every lap. Even the second runner-up on tires in Q3, I was able to push a little bit more. Yeah, felt really good about that.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)