Jul 12, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Dario Franchitti’s experience level is such that he has won poles at Toronto in three different decades. His pole on Friday for the first of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader weekend is his fifth on the streets of Exhibition Place, to go along with other poles in 1997 (his rookie year in CART), 1998, 2009 and 2012.
“Gee, my first one was 1997. T.K. was here. Will was still at school. Dixie, what were you doing in 1997?” the Scot asked of several of his fellow Firestone Fast Six participants.
Franchitti made things a bit more difficult for himself after an incident in the morning, which sent his Target Chip Ganassi Racing crew scrambling to fix the right hand side of his car. The pole is his third of 2013, to go along with other poles at Long Beach and Detroit race one.
“It feels good to get our third pole of the year,” he said. “I made it difficult this morning. I made a mistake in Turn 5 there, took the right side off the car. The guys had to work and repair the car.
“But the Target car was good on Firestone blacks, Firestone reds. I was able to keep finding a little bit every lap. Even the second runner-up on tires in Q3, I was able to push a little bit more. Yeah, felt really good about that.”
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15