Jul 12, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
In case you need a refresher on how IZOD IndyCar Series qualifying works (Friday night, 5:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) for these doubleheader weekends, see the below note from IndyCar. Basically, qualifying for race one is as normal for a single-race road or street course weekend, and race two qualifying will be determined by a second session held Saturday morning.
Race 1 (three segments to determine Verizon P1 Award winner; 3:10 p.m. Friday)
All cars shall participate in one of the two groups for 10 minutes per group inclusive of full-course yellow conditions, with six cars posting best lap times from each group advancing to Segment 2. Group 2 will begin its session 5 minutes after the checkered flag of Group 1.
Cars not advancing in Segment 2 will fill positions 13 through the end of the starting field to be ranked in order of best lap time as follows: Group 1 shall occupy the odd-numbered positions beginning with 13 and Group 2 will occupy the even-numbered positions beginning with 14.
Shall consist of one 10-minute, 12-car qualifying group inclusive of full-course yellow conditions, with all times from Segment 1 having been voided. Six cars posting the best lap times will advance to Segment 3 (the Firestone Fast Six).
Cars not advancing to Segment 3 will fill positions 7-12 to be ranked in order of time.
Segment 3 (Firestone Fast Six)
Consists of one 10-minute, six-car qualifying group, of which five minutes is guaranteed green-flag time, with all times from Segment 2 voided. Session shall begin 10 minutes after checkered flag of Segment 2.
Race 2 (10:50 a.m. Saturday)
All cars will participate in one of two groups for 12 minutes each, with five minutes of guaranteed green-flag time. Qualifying group will be determined by the combined times posted by entries during the practice session a day earlier.
Group 1 will consist of odd-numbered positions on the practice time sheet, while even-numbered positions will comprise Group 2.
The starting field positions will be determined by the best time ranking of the two groups combined, from fastest to slowest, with the fastest qualifier occupying the pole position.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 4
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1