Jul 12, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
In case you need a refresher on how IZOD IndyCar Series qualifying works (Friday night, 5:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) for these doubleheader weekends, see the below note from IndyCar. Basically, qualifying for race one is as normal for a single-race road or street course weekend, and race two qualifying will be determined by a second session held Saturday morning.
Race 1 (three segments to determine Verizon P1 Award winner; 3:10 p.m. Friday)
All cars shall participate in one of the two groups for 10 minutes per group inclusive of full-course yellow conditions, with six cars posting best lap times from each group advancing to Segment 2. Group 2 will begin its session 5 minutes after the checkered flag of Group 1.
Cars not advancing in Segment 2 will fill positions 13 through the end of the starting field to be ranked in order of best lap time as follows: Group 1 shall occupy the odd-numbered positions beginning with 13 and Group 2 will occupy the even-numbered positions beginning with 14.
Shall consist of one 10-minute, 12-car qualifying group inclusive of full-course yellow conditions, with all times from Segment 1 having been voided. Six cars posting the best lap times will advance to Segment 3 (the Firestone Fast Six).
Cars not advancing to Segment 3 will fill positions 7-12 to be ranked in order of time.
Segment 3 (Firestone Fast Six)
Consists of one 10-minute, six-car qualifying group, of which five minutes is guaranteed green-flag time, with all times from Segment 2 voided. Session shall begin 10 minutes after checkered flag of Segment 2.
Race 2 (10:50 a.m. Saturday)
All cars will participate in one of two groups for 12 minutes each, with five minutes of guaranteed green-flag time. Qualifying group will be determined by the combined times posted by entries during the practice session a day earlier.
Group 1 will consist of odd-numbered positions on the practice time sheet, while even-numbered positions will comprise Group 2.
The starting field positions will be determined by the best time ranking of the two groups combined, from fastest to slowest, with the fastest qualifier occupying the pole position.
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)