Jul 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
A pair of Americans led the IZOD IndyCar Series timesheets for its only weekend north of the border this year, as defending Honda Indy Toronto winner Ryan Hunter-Reay edged Josef Newgarden in IndyCar’s 90-minute lone practice before qualifying.
Hunter-Reay, driver of the No. 1 DHL Chevrolet for Andretti Autosport, lapped the 1.755-mile street circuit in 1:00.6082, with Newgarden in the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda next up at 1:00.6851.
Ryan Briscoe (No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing Chevrolet) had his best session of the season in third, 1:00.6890, ahead of rookie Tristan Vautier and Marco Andretti. Vautier returns to orange, red and black Visit Florida colors for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports after four weekends in the blue and white of Coastal.com for the No. 55 Honda.
Canadians James Hinchcliffe and Alex Tagliani clocked in 11th and 14th on home soil. Mike Conway, returning in Dale Coyne Racing’s second car, was only 23rd of 24 cars.
Most of the session was spent practicing standing starts in preparation for race one of the weekend on Saturday, while Sunday’s race will have rolling starts.
There were two red flags, one for Will Power stopped in Turn 3, and the second for Dario Franchitti after he brushed the wall in Turn 5 and stopped in Turn 6.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0