Jul 12, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Confirming an Indianapolis Star report of a few weeks ago, Andersen Promotions has bought and taken over the Firestone Indy Lights Series from INDYCAR. The change was announced Friday at the Honda Indy Toronto by INDYCAR president of competition and operations Derrick Walker and Andersen CEO and owner Dan Andersen.
Andersen also runs the USF2000 and Pro Mazda championships, two other rungs on the Mazda Road to Indy ladder. The move brings all three rungs of the ladder in house, under one roof.
“The history of Firestone Indy Lights is so impressive with dozens of drivers graduating to IZOD IndyCar Series careers over the years,” Andersen said. “I am honored to be given the opportunity to step in and steer the course for the future.
A Florida-based entrepreneur and developer, Andersen has worked to control and cut costs within the ladder series. USF2000 in particular has been on the upswing from a car count standpoint, nearing or exceeding 30 between Championship and National class cars on road and street course races this year, with car counts in the 20s for the oval race at Lucas Oil Raceway Park at Indianapolis last month.
“Our model for operating development programs appears to be well-received by teams and drivers, and I am fortunate to have a strong staff in place. We believe in the Mazda Road to Indy, and are grateful that INDYCAR has chosen to continue its support for years to come.”
In preparation for the 2014 season, Andersen Promotions has launched a new stand-alone website for Firestone Indy Lights at www.indylights.com, which will run alongside continued coverage for the series at www.indycar.com. A new Twitter page, @IndyLights, has also been launched.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 2
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 2
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 14
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (14)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (7)