Jul 12, 2013, 8:15 AM EDT
Next week’s young driver test at Silverstone (July 17-19) will actually include the second oldest driver on the Formula One grid – Kimi Raikkonen.
But the Lotus driver knows what he’s doing. He, like any other full-season entrants, is now eligible to participate in the test to sample Pirelli’s new compounds that have yet to make their race debut. Raikkonen will run on Friday, after Lotus development driver Nicolas Prost runs on Wednesday and third driver Davide Valsecchi runs on Thursday.
The decision was made in spite of the restrictive in-season testing rules and regulations.
“It’s great timing for us to have this season’s young driver test scheduled in the middle of the year as it allows us to evaluate more of the new parts we have for the E21 as the championship battle intensifies,” team principal Eric Boullier told the official Formula One website. “Remarkably, the UK has been having some notably good weather recently so we’re looking forward to getting some good running across the three days.”
Trackside operations director Alan Permane added: “Obviously we want to give all three drivers the maximum track time possible as well as assessing the latest upgrades to the car. Our aim on the third day will be to help Pirelli understand the latest changes to their tires at the same venue where they most notably had issues this season.”
Besides the tire test, this will also be a valuable time for Prost and Valsecchi to gain more mileage. Lotus’ driver situation for 2014 is very much fluid with rumors of Raikkonen (paid late by Lotus but still in its frame) potentially leaving to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull, and Nico Hulkenberg linked to the team as a potential replacement.
- WATCH LIVE: Bahrain GP Race Day on NBCSN and Live Extra from 10:30am ET 0
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7