Jul 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Sauber, Lotus and Toro Rosso have all confirmed their driver line-ups for the Young Drivers’ Test which will take place at Silverstone next week.
The scheme has aimed to give young and talented drivers their first taste of a Formula One car, meeting some success in the past as the likes of Giedo van der Garde and Daniel Ricciardo have gone on to secure a full-time drive. However, following the tire fiasco that ensued at the British Grand Prix, the FIA has permitted the use of full-time drivers in order to get to grips with the new compounds that will be used for the rest of the season.
As a result, most teams are expected to bring at least one of their two race drivers to the test, as exemplified by Sauber, Lotus and Toro Rosso.
Sauber will be running Nico Hulkenberg during the test despite rumors surrounding his future with the team. Also, the team’s reserve driver and GP2 star Robin Frijns will get a run in the car as he continues his pursuit of a full-time seat, with Japanese youngster Kimiya Sato (no relation to Takuma) also getting some running.
Lotus will be running Kimi Raikkonen (33 years old) in the Young Drivers’ Test alongside the team’s reserve driver, Davide Valsecchi (26), and Nicolas Prost (31) who ran with Lotus backing in this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Toro Rosso will be using both of their full-time drivers – Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne – during the three day test at Silverstone.
All teams will be present at the test bar Mercedes, who have been banned following the FIA tribunal’s findings last month.
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 0
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 3
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 12
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2