Jul 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Sauber, Lotus and Toro Rosso have all confirmed their driver line-ups for the Young Drivers’ Test which will take place at Silverstone next week.
The scheme has aimed to give young and talented drivers their first taste of a Formula One car, meeting some success in the past as the likes of Giedo van der Garde and Daniel Ricciardo have gone on to secure a full-time drive. However, following the tire fiasco that ensued at the British Grand Prix, the FIA has permitted the use of full-time drivers in order to get to grips with the new compounds that will be used for the rest of the season.
As a result, most teams are expected to bring at least one of their two race drivers to the test, as exemplified by Sauber, Lotus and Toro Rosso.
Sauber will be running Nico Hulkenberg during the test despite rumors surrounding his future with the team. Also, the team’s reserve driver and GP2 star Robin Frijns will get a run in the car as he continues his pursuit of a full-time seat, with Japanese youngster Kimiya Sato (no relation to Takuma) also getting some running.
Lotus will be running Kimi Raikkonen (33 years old) in the Young Drivers’ Test alongside the team’s reserve driver, Davide Valsecchi (26), and Nicolas Prost (31) who ran with Lotus backing in this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Toro Rosso will be using both of their full-time drivers – Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne – during the three day test at Silverstone.
All teams will be present at the test bar Mercedes, who have been banned following the FIA tribunal’s findings last month.
- New McLaren Honda livery revealed 0
- Q&A: IMS President Doug Boles heading into 2015 Month of May, 2016 planning 0
- Indiana native Bryan Clauson ready for special Indy 500 return 3
- On eve of 300th IndyCar start, Helio Castroneves eyes record-tying fourth Indy 500 win 1
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 2
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 1
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2