Jul 12, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
A few news and notes from around the paddock in Toronto:
- Race Director Beaux Barfield (pictured) will not be in Toronto this weekend for personal reasons. INDYCAR Senior Vice President of Operations Brian Barnhart will serve as race director for the doubleheader IZOD IndyCar Series races July 13-14 at the Honda Indy Toronto. Barfield will resume his duties in Race Control at the next IZOD IndyCar Series event, the Honda Indy 200 on Aug. 2-4 at Mid-Ohio.
- Additionally in the senior management domain, INDYCAR exec vp of corporate business development, Greg Gruning, has left his post and shifted to a technology company. A paywall story from Sports Business Daily is linked here with more, if you have access.
- Per a RACER.com story by Marshall Pruett, Dragon Racing has released all but two of the crewmembers on Sebastian Saavedra’s No. 6 TRUECar Dragon Racing Chevrolet team.
- James Jakes of Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing will serve a 10-spot grid penalty for Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader for an unapproved engine change after the last race at Pocono Raceway.
- Besides Tristan Vautier, rookie of Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, Marco Andretti will be in a different livery this weekend. He’ll reprise the Dr Pepper colors he has raced here the last two years. Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan is back in the Hydroxycut livery for KV Racing Technology – SH after racing in three of the last four events with Sunoco / “Turbo” colors on his No. 11 Chevrolet.
Qualifying groups for Friday’s qualifying (5:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) are listed below.
Group 1 Group 2 #67 Josef Newgarden #1 Ryan Hunter-Reay #55 Tristan Vautier (R) #4 Ryan Briscoe #12 Will Power #25 Marco Andretti #16 James Jakes #11 Tony Kanaan #7 Sebastien Bourdais #10 Dario Franchitti #9 Scott Dixon #27 James Hinchcliffe #98 Alex Tagliani #19 Justin Wilson #3 Helio Castroneves #83 Charlie Kimball #5 E.J. Viso #15 Graham Rahal #14 Takuma Sato #6 Sebastian Saavedra #77 Simon Pagenaud #78 Simona de Silvestro #20 Ed Carpenter #18 Mike Conway
Sep 1, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Coming up today: Highlights from Kasey Kahne’s clutch Atlanta win; assessing Tony Stewart’s comeback; the Chase outlook with one regular season race left; more problems in pits for Kevin Harvick.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship season finale at Crandon, Wisconsin. NBCSN will air the races this Saturday, Sept. 6, at 3:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…
Sep 1, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
For Clint Bowyer and Kyle Larson, winning on Saturday night will be all that matters if they want a spot in the Chase.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Ed Carpenter Racing and Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing end as the top single-car teams in 2014, before merging in 2015.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Kasey Kahne saves his season in Atlanta, while Will Power changes his career in Fontana.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Carlos Munoz takes home the top rookie honors after a successful first full season in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Honda’s motorsport chief provides an update on the company’s F1 engine progress.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
IndyCar championship banquet goes off quickly, smoothly with a good bit of humor.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
The result beats her previous high water mark of seventh this past May at Kansas.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — It was a rough night for a number of drivers in Sunday’s Oral-B USA 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta, including Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer and Marcos Ambrose.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
Matt Kenseth enters the post-season with a second place result, while Clint Bowyer finds himself outside the Chase Grid going into next Saturday’s regular season finale.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – Kasey Kahne’s 17th career Sprint Cup win couldn’t have been any larger.
Aug 31, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – It was not the comeback that Tony Stewart had hoped for.
Aug 31, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Tony Stewart’s return to competition tonight at Atlanta Motor Speedway has encountered some trouble after a restart run-in with “Rowdy.”
Schumacher (TF), Hagan (FC), Line (PS), Krawiec (PSM) ones to beat in Monday’s NHRA U.S. Nationals finals
Aug 31, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Following Sunday’s final round of qualifying, Tony Schumacher (Top Fuel), Matt Hagan (Funny Car), Jason Line (Pro Stock) and Eddie Krawiec (Pro Stock Motorcycle) will lead their respective classes as No. 1 qualifiers for Monday’s final eliminations of the 60th annual Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals.
Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — There was no question which driver received the most applause and cheers during driver introductions prior to the start of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 31, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Rush Truck Centers’ CEO: “We stand with Tony.”
Aug 31, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
Matt Kenseth can clinch a spot in the post-season with a finish of seventh or better in tonight’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 31, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — Atlanta Motor Speedway will honor longtime Atlanta-area broadcaster and motorsports reporter “Capt. Herb” Emory, who passed away in April at the age of 61, prior to Sunday’s Oral-B USA 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race.
Aug 31, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
Ryan Blaney uses a cross-over move on German Quiroga in the final corner and then beats him to the stripe, winning the Chevrolet Silverado 250.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps how Kahne was able at 5 p.m. ET 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 3
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3