Jul 12, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
A few news and notes from around the paddock in Toronto:
- Race Director Beaux Barfield (pictured) will not be in Toronto this weekend for personal reasons. INDYCAR Senior Vice President of Operations Brian Barnhart will serve as race director for the doubleheader IZOD IndyCar Series races July 13-14 at the Honda Indy Toronto. Barfield will resume his duties in Race Control at the next IZOD IndyCar Series event, the Honda Indy 200 on Aug. 2-4 at Mid-Ohio.
- Additionally in the senior management domain, INDYCAR exec vp of corporate business development, Greg Gruning, has left his post and shifted to a technology company. A paywall story from Sports Business Daily is linked here with more, if you have access.
- Per a RACER.com story by Marshall Pruett, Dragon Racing has released all but two of the crewmembers on Sebastian Saavedra’s No. 6 TRUECar Dragon Racing Chevrolet team.
- James Jakes of Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing will serve a 10-spot grid penalty for Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader for an unapproved engine change after the last race at Pocono Raceway.
- Besides Tristan Vautier, rookie of Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, Marco Andretti will be in a different livery this weekend. He’ll reprise the Dr Pepper colors he has raced here the last two years. Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan is back in the Hydroxycut livery for KV Racing Technology – SH after racing in three of the last four events with Sunoco / “Turbo” colors on his No. 11 Chevrolet.
Qualifying groups for Friday’s qualifying (5:30 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) are listed below.
Group 1 Group 2 #67 Josef Newgarden #1 Ryan Hunter-Reay #55 Tristan Vautier (R) #4 Ryan Briscoe #12 Will Power #25 Marco Andretti #16 James Jakes #11 Tony Kanaan #7 Sebastien Bourdais #10 Dario Franchitti #9 Scott Dixon #27 James Hinchcliffe #98 Alex Tagliani #19 Justin Wilson #3 Helio Castroneves #83 Charlie Kimball #5 E.J. Viso #15 Graham Rahal #14 Takuma Sato #6 Sebastian Saavedra #77 Simon Pagenaud #78 Simona de Silvestro #20 Ed Carpenter #18 Mike Conway
Jul 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
A miserable home weekend in Toronto strikes James Hinchcliffe yet again.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Williams’ deputy team principal on Massa: “He is mature enough – and has enough experience in the sport – to realize that sometimes, things don’t go your way.”
Jul 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Given politics, dates and dreams, could an IndyCar race at CTMP be possible?
Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Ex-F1 shoe Jerome d’Ambrosio gets signed up for new FE series.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Kyle Larson’s got a new house, a new kid on the way and now a new Cottonelle ad he might not be able to live down.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Mercedes’ Toto Wolff calls double points “unfair.”
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
MST’s Tony DiZinno recaps the weekend in Toronto, that featured a host of surprises.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
The stretch of six races in four weekends is over, as is the stretch of doubleheader weekends for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season. Here’s the points breakdown.
Chase Elliott keeps winning, but he’s not finished capturing checkered flags this season by any stretch
Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 AM EDT
With the third win of his rookie Nationwide Series career, Chase Elliott continued to make it look easy in this past Saturday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
For Wallace and his Truck Series rivals, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to train.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
In a satellite radio interview, France shared his thoughts on the consortium of NASCAR’s most powerful teams.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Jack Hawksworth will co-drive the No. 08 Prototype Challenge car for RSR Racing in Friday’s IMSA event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Between his Eldora Speedway hosting the Truck Series and then competing at Indianapolis this weekend in Sprint Cup, Stewart’s in the middle of a busy week.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
All the notes and numbers to keep in mind for NASCAR’s visit to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
One last bit of fun for Hamlin, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and Michael Waltrip before the Sprint Cup Series returns to action at Indianapolis.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Indianapolis Motor Speedway delivers a bizarre take on the classic “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!” ads.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship races from Bark River, Michigan. NBCSN will air the races on Sun., Aug. 3, at 1:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…
Jul 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Chevrolet dominates the results sheet for IndyCar in Toronto.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s Pirelli World Challenge races from the streets of Toronto. NBCSN will broadcast the Toronto races on Sunday, Aug. 10, at 1:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…
Jul 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Quartet of Hondas could have stolen the second of the Honda Indy Toronto races if not for the final red flag.
- Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1’s double points finale 0
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 10
- Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate 0
- Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together 0