Jul 13, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Scott Dixon has gone back-to-back with a win in the first race of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. It follows his win at Pocono Raceway a week ago.
Dixon’s pass of Sebastien Bourdais near the end of the race, with the Frenchman fading on Firestone red tires, netted him his first IZOD IndyCar Series win on the streets of Toronto. Dixon’s win is his 31st of his open-wheel career, dating to his rookie season in CART in 2001.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bourdais, in second, secured his first podium in open-wheel racing since 2007 (a win at Mexico City Champ Car finale), and the first for Dragon Racing in IndyCar.
Dario Franchitti, Dixon’s teammate and the race polesitter, finished third on the road after another Toronto tussle with Will Power. But it wasn’t for long, as he was issued a post-race, 25-second time penalty for a block on Power. Power, who snuck through to the inside, couldn’t avoid the Turn 3 barriers and ended 15th after failing to complete the last lap.
The penalty promotes Marco Andretti to third place.
Hours ago, the race was supposed to have a standing start, but didn’t when Josef Newgarden stalled.
There’s a plethora of videos, news, quotes and more information to come in the aftermath of this one. Stay tuned to MotorSportsTalk for more.
8:30 p.m. ET: Indeed there has been more in the several hours since the checkered flag. But here’s all you need to know: the official results from Race 1 are now posted, and are listed below.
IZOD IndyCar Series
Honda Indy Toronto Race 1
TORONTO – Results Saturday of the Honda Indy Toronto Race 1 IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.755-mile Streets of Toronto, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):
1. (5) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
2. (2) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
3. (1) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
4. (10) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
5. (4) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
6. (7) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
7. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
8. (13) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
9. (12) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
10. (22) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
11. (8) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
12. (15) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
13. (23) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
14. (14) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
15. (3) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Contact
16. (24) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Running
17. (17) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 84, Running
18. (6) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 83, Running
19. (21) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 83, Running
20. (18) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 82, Running
21. (16) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 72, Contact
22. (9) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 64, Contact
23. (19) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 34, Running
24. (11) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 32, Mechanical
Winners average speed: 88.370
Time of Race: 01:41:17.0605
Margin of victory: 1.7007
Lead changes: 8
Franchitti 1 – 20
Bourdais 21 – 29
Kimball 30 – 31
Power 32 – 60
Bourdais 62 – 63
Dixon 64 – 68
Bourdais 69 – 77
Dixon 78 – 85
Point Standings: Castroneves 384, Hunter-Reay 345, Dixon 342, Andretti 333, Kanaan 301, Hinchcliffe 296, Pagenaud 291, Franchitti 274, Wilson 272, Power 260.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA, Jeff Burton joined the crew to discuss what makes racing in the Brickyard 400 unique. Burton says NASCAR is a guest at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway due to the history IndyCar has made at the track.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA and in preparation for this week’s Brickyard 400, Leigh Diffey talked with 2006 Indianapolis 500 winner Sam Hornish Jr. on what it was like to win the third closest finish in race history. Hornish also discussed some of the keys that drivers will need to succeed at the Brickyard 400.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
After two years of huge success with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series racing at his Eldora Speedway, Tony Stewart would love to eventually see the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series come to his little half-mile track, as well.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
On Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA, Leigh Diffey is the in-studio host and is joined by Sam Hornish Jr. (2006 Indy 500 winner and current Nationwide Series driver and winner of the 2014 Iowa Nationwide race).
Jul 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Indy Racing Experience has partnered with Make-A-Wish® Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana to enhance two wishes during the Kroger Brickyard Super Weekend that takes place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway July 24-27, 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay earns another award after his Indianapolis 500 win.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Pirelli World Challenge President/CEO Scott Bove and 15-year-old rising star Austin Cindric to race a GTS Ford Mustang Boss for charity at Mid-Ohio weekend.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Sauber driver pleased with his pace in Germany, and cares little for the question marks about his future.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Italian tire supplier confirms its selections for the Belgian, Italian and Singapore Grands Prix.
Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close
Jul 24, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
While it’s seemed Marcos Ambrose was a lock to return to Richard Petty Motorsports, especially with all the positive things he’s said about wanting to stay in recent weeks and months, a report Thursday has Ambrose leaving NASCAR after this season and returning to his native Australia to race V8 Supercars — potentially for a new team owned by iconic American race team owner Roger Penske.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Ferrari driver has few qualms about Kimi’s difficulties in 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte will be returning to race at the fabled Indianapolis Motor Speedway in this Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Our writing team makes its predictions for this weekend’s race at the Hungaroring.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
American youngster joins Marussia as its official reserve driver with immediate effect.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Brazilian driver compares it to incident at the beginning of the Australian Grand Prix with Kamui Kobayashi.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Formula 1 will return to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez next year for the first time since 1992.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One final chapter to the first half of the 2014 F1 season at the Hungaroring this weekend, a track that has suited Lewis Hamilton very well over the years.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Six teams, 17 cars set to test at Mid-Ohio ahead of IndyCar race there next week.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. and Kyle Larson put on a spectacular battle in the final 40-lap segment of Wednesday’s second MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, but it was Wallace holding on for the win.
- Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close 5
- MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP 0
- Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver 2
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Preview 3
- Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated) 3