Jul 13, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Scott Dixon has gone back-to-back with a win in the first race of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. It follows his win at Pocono Raceway a week ago.
Dixon’s pass of Sebastien Bourdais near the end of the race, with the Frenchman fading on Firestone red tires, netted him his first IZOD IndyCar Series win on the streets of Toronto. Dixon’s win is his 31st of his open-wheel career, dating to his rookie season in CART in 2001.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bourdais, in second, secured his first podium in open-wheel racing since 2007 (a win at Mexico City Champ Car finale), and the first for Dragon Racing in IndyCar.
Dario Franchitti, Dixon’s teammate and the race polesitter, finished third on the road after another Toronto tussle with Will Power. But it wasn’t for long, as he was issued a post-race, 25-second time penalty for a block on Power. Power, who snuck through to the inside, couldn’t avoid the Turn 3 barriers and ended 15th after failing to complete the last lap.
The penalty promotes Marco Andretti to third place.
Hours ago, the race was supposed to have a standing start, but didn’t when Josef Newgarden stalled.
There’s a plethora of videos, news, quotes and more information to come in the aftermath of this one. Stay tuned to MotorSportsTalk for more.
8:30 p.m. ET: Indeed there has been more in the several hours since the checkered flag. But here’s all you need to know: the official results from Race 1 are now posted, and are listed below.
IZOD IndyCar Series
Honda Indy Toronto Race 1
TORONTO – Results Saturday of the Honda Indy Toronto Race 1 IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.755-mile Streets of Toronto, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):
1. (5) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
2. (2) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
3. (1) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
4. (10) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
5. (4) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
6. (7) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
7. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
8. (13) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
9. (12) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
10. (22) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
11. (8) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
12. (15) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
13. (23) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
14. (14) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
15. (3) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Contact
16. (24) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Running
17. (17) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 84, Running
18. (6) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 83, Running
19. (21) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 83, Running
20. (18) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 82, Running
21. (16) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 72, Contact
22. (9) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 64, Contact
23. (19) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 34, Running
24. (11) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 32, Mechanical
Winners average speed: 88.370
Time of Race: 01:41:17.0605
Margin of victory: 1.7007
Lead changes: 8
Franchitti 1 – 20
Bourdais 21 – 29
Kimball 30 – 31
Power 32 – 60
Bourdais 62 – 63
Dixon 64 – 68
Bourdais 69 – 77
Dixon 78 – 85
Point Standings: Castroneves 384, Hunter-Reay 345, Dixon 342, Andretti 333, Kanaan 301, Hinchcliffe 296, Pagenaud 291, Franchitti 274, Wilson 272, Power 260.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
It was a double dose of Force in Saturday’s final rounds of qualifying for the sixth-annual NHRA 4-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
Roundup of the rest of Saturday’s action from St. Petersburg.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
NBC Sports Group’s “Off the Grid” digital series hits Mexico City, set to premiere on March 31.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
Simona de Silvestro happy to be somewhat disappointed with 11th in IndyCar qualifying at St. Petersburg.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Takuma Sato puts together a successful qualifying effort for A.J. Foyt Enterprises, ending in fifth and best Honda.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
After top-four qualifying sweep, the Team Penske teammates are praising each other rather than trading shots.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
Power on pole as Team Penske goes 1-2-3-4 in St. Petersburg qualifying.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Indy Lights’ new era kicks off at St. Petersburg with a new driver and team on top in the series’ new car.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
More Will Power on top of IndyCar practice at St. Petersburg.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Franck Montagny receives two-year ban from FIA’s Anti-Doping Disciplinary Committee.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Swedish driver reaches both Q2 and Q3 for the first time in his F1 career, and will start tomorrow’s race from ninth place on the grid.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Ricciardo and Kvyat both get inside the top five thanks to the rain in Q3 in Malaysia, but Massa and Bottas struggle.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Monaco’s circuit for the FIA Formula E Championship is revealed.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Incident involving Jann Mardenborough’s Nissan GT-R claims the life of one spectator at the Nordschleife.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Dutch youngster scores the best F1 qualifying result for a teenager in 54 years on Saturday in Malaysia.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Spanish driver will make his second debut for McLaren from 18th position on the grid tomorrow.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
British driver explains the challenge of judging your qualifying lap in the wet after securing pole position in Malaysia on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:49 AM EDT
Merhi and Stevens miss the 107% time required to qualify in Malaysia, but are granted dispensation by the FIA stewards.
Vettel hoping for more rain on Sunday after scoring Ferrari’s first front-row start in two years (VIDEO)
Mar 28, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT
Felipe Massa was the last driver to start on the front row of the grid for Ferrari, lining up second for the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix.
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 1
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 1
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0