Jul 13, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Scott Dixon has gone back-to-back with a win in the first race of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. It follows his win at Pocono Raceway a week ago.
Dixon’s pass of Sebastien Bourdais near the end of the race, with the Frenchman fading on Firestone red tires, netted him his first IZOD IndyCar Series win on the streets of Toronto. Dixon’s win is his 31st of his open-wheel career, dating to his rookie season in CART in 2001.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bourdais, in second, secured his first podium in open-wheel racing since 2007 (a win at Mexico City Champ Car finale), and the first for Dragon Racing in IndyCar.
Dario Franchitti, Dixon’s teammate and the race polesitter, finished third on the road after another Toronto tussle with Will Power. But it wasn’t for long, as he was issued a post-race, 25-second time penalty for a block on Power. Power, who snuck through to the inside, couldn’t avoid the Turn 3 barriers and ended 15th after failing to complete the last lap.
The penalty promotes Marco Andretti to third place.
Hours ago, the race was supposed to have a standing start, but didn’t when Josef Newgarden stalled.
There’s a plethora of videos, news, quotes and more information to come in the aftermath of this one. Stay tuned to MotorSportsTalk for more.
8:30 p.m. ET: Indeed there has been more in the several hours since the checkered flag. But here’s all you need to know: the official results from Race 1 are now posted, and are listed below.
IZOD IndyCar Series
Honda Indy Toronto Race 1
TORONTO – Results Saturday of the Honda Indy Toronto Race 1 IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.755-mile Streets of Toronto, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):
1. (5) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
2. (2) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
3. (1) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
4. (10) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
5. (4) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
6. (7) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
7. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
8. (13) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
9. (12) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
10. (22) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
11. (8) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
12. (15) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
13. (23) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
14. (14) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
15. (3) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Contact
16. (24) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Running
17. (17) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 84, Running
18. (6) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 83, Running
19. (21) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 83, Running
20. (18) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 82, Running
21. (16) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 72, Contact
22. (9) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 64, Contact
23. (19) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 34, Running
24. (11) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 32, Mechanical
Winners average speed: 88.370
Time of Race: 01:41:17.0605
Margin of victory: 1.7007
Lead changes: 8
Franchitti 1 – 20
Bourdais 21 – 29
Kimball 30 – 31
Power 32 – 60
Bourdais 62 – 63
Dixon 64 – 68
Bourdais 69 – 77
Dixon 78 – 85
Point Standings: Castroneves 384, Hunter-Reay 345, Dixon 342, Andretti 333, Kanaan 301, Hinchcliffe 296, Pagenaud 291, Franchitti 274, Wilson 272, Power 260.
May 28, 2015, 6:49 PM EDT
With the completion of the Kansas Nationals this past Sunday, the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series has reached the one-third point of the 2015 season.
May 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Ex-F1 driver ponders whether Hamilton’s trust in Mercedes may have taken a hit after his Monaco defeat.
May 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
FIA looking for more teams to join the sport in the next two seasons.
May 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
After Williams recorded its first non-score since Brazil 2013 in Monaco, Bottas is sure that the team will respond in Montreal next weekend.
May 28, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
25 years on from Mark Blundell’s pole position at Le Mans, Nissan pays homage with a retro livery on its third car for the race.
May 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Alan Permane claims the data on Grosjean’s car shows he did not brake-test Verstappen and cause their crash in Monaco last Sunday.
May 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
FIA president responds to calls for a stricter policy on alcohol sponsorship in F1.
May 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Andreas Bakkerud will fill in for Piquet while he’s on Formula E duty in Russia.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff took part in a Twitter Q&A earlier this week.
May 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Two-time series champion looks ahead to a big year in Red Bull GRC with Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross.
May 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Gossage and Walker are in contact about how to best move forward with super speedway aero kits ahead of June 6 IndyCar race.
May 28, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT
No. 63 driver tops $61,000 raised for Susan G. Komen this month.
May 27, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
The last seven races held in Detroit have been won by a different driver.
May 27, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Penalties doled out after the Indy 500, most notably to the No. 19 and 98 teams for pit incidents.
May 27, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Gonzalez returns to No. 18 car after running it in the Grand Prix of Alabama.
May 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
After three straight top-five finishes, Graham Rahal returns to the site of his only 2014 podium.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Ahead of the Red Bull GRC season, Tanner Foust and Scott Speed look for better luck in the pair of Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetles.
May 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Charlie Kimball says his team has hit its stride after two straight top-five finishes.
May 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Hinch heads home.
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 0
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 5
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5