Jul 13, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Scott Dixon has gone back-to-back with a win in the first race of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. It follows his win at Pocono Raceway a week ago.
Dixon’s pass of Sebastien Bourdais near the end of the race, with the Frenchman fading on Firestone red tires, netted him his first IZOD IndyCar Series win on the streets of Toronto. Dixon’s win is his 31st of his open-wheel career, dating to his rookie season in CART in 2001.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bourdais, in second, secured his first podium in open-wheel racing since 2007 (a win at Mexico City Champ Car finale), and the first for Dragon Racing in IndyCar.
Dario Franchitti, Dixon’s teammate and the race polesitter, finished third on the road after another Toronto tussle with Will Power. But it wasn’t for long, as he was issued a post-race, 25-second time penalty for a block on Power. Power, who snuck through to the inside, couldn’t avoid the Turn 3 barriers and ended 15th after failing to complete the last lap.
The penalty promotes Marco Andretti to third place.
Hours ago, the race was supposed to have a standing start, but didn’t when Josef Newgarden stalled.
There’s a plethora of videos, news, quotes and more information to come in the aftermath of this one. Stay tuned to MotorSportsTalk for more.
8:30 p.m. ET: Indeed there has been more in the several hours since the checkered flag. But here’s all you need to know: the official results from Race 1 are now posted, and are listed below.
IZOD IndyCar Series
Honda Indy Toronto Race 1
TORONTO – Results Saturday of the Honda Indy Toronto Race 1 IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.755-mile Streets of Toronto, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):
1. (5) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
2. (2) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
3. (1) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
4. (10) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
5. (4) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
6. (7) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
7. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
8. (13) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
9. (12) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
10. (22) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
11. (8) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
12. (15) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
13. (23) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
14. (14) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
15. (3) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Contact
16. (24) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 84, Running
17. (17) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 84, Running
18. (6) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 83, Running
19. (21) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 83, Running
20. (18) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 82, Running
21. (16) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 72, Contact
22. (9) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 64, Contact
23. (19) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 34, Running
24. (11) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 32, Mechanical
Winners average speed: 88.370
Time of Race: 01:41:17.0605
Margin of victory: 1.7007
Lead changes: 8
Franchitti 1 – 20
Bourdais 21 – 29
Kimball 30 – 31
Power 32 – 60
Bourdais 62 – 63
Dixon 64 – 68
Bourdais 69 – 77
Dixon 78 – 85
Point Standings: Castroneves 384, Hunter-Reay 345, Dixon 342, Andretti 333, Kanaan 301, Hinchcliffe 296, Pagenaud 291, Franchitti 274, Wilson 272, Power 260.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Mazda Road to Indy and Pirelli World Challenge race updates from Mid-Ohio as they happen on one of the busiest road racing days of the year.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:48 PM EDT
Enerson finally breaks through for overdue first Indy Lights win.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Mercedes F1 reserve driver finishes second at the Red Bull Ring to move into the lead of the DTM championship.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
In his third career start in the ARCA Racing Series, Cole Custer breezed to victory in Saturday’s ModSpace 125 at Pocono Raceway.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
Dixon blisters previous mark for the track record at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
At 17, Verstappen is still too young to get a road driver’s licence in Belgium.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Stefan Johansson, a veteran of over 100 F1 starts, argues the case of customer cars in F1.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Watch qualifying for Round 14 of the IndyCar season LIVE from Mid-Ohio.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
For fans and strategists alike, the new LED panels have been well received at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
New global shootout for Mazda scholarship on Mazda Road to Indy is announced.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He may have an 85 point lead at the top of the GP2 standings, but Vandoorne is not planning to play it safe for the remainder of the season.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Dixon does it again in practice with an unofficial lap record at Mid-Ohio, finishing ahead of Newgarden and Kimball.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rossi is pushing to become the first American driver to make an F1 start since 2007.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT
Enerson emerges from a scrap with Harvey for Indy Lights pole.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Jamin, Cooper emerge victorious to kick off the weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Nasr calls on the team to make it through a rough patch ahead of the next raft of updates in Belgium.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
The Mid-Ohio dominator tops Friday practice in 2015.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Verstappen joins Team Redline’s sim racing roster in a bid to keep sharp when not on the track.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the paddock at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
We round up all of the latest news and developments in Formula E ahead of pre-season testing next month.
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0
- Dixon crushes lap record to score pole in Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0
- Johansson: Haas has done its homework ahead of F1 entry 0
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1