Jul 13, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Folks looking for a dark horse in today’s first race of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) could do worse than Dale Coyne Racing’s Justin Wilson, who’s rolling off eighth in today’s 85-lap race.
Back in his Champ Car days, Wilson won in 2005 on the 1.75-mile street circuit at Exhibition Place. Additionally, across eight Toronto starts in Champ Car and the IZOD IndyCar Series, he’s collected four Top-5 and five Top-10s finishes.
Wilson could have been higher up the grid for today’s race – and perhaps more likely to avoid potential problems involving the standing start – if not for an incident involving Takuma Sato that effectively ended his group’s qualifying session on Friday.
“It’s a shame that Sato’s crash brought out the yellow because the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda had a chance at advancing to the Firestone Fast Six,” said Wilson. “We were running in the top-10 for most the practice session [Friday] morning, so we know that we have a fast car. It will be interesting to see how things go for the series’ first standing start [today].”
Last summer in Toronto, Wilson was in line for another strong result until a mechanical failure occurred on Lap 65 and eventually caused him to go into the wall. He had been running fifth at the time of the problem.
Earlier this morning, he qualified 14th unofficially for tomorrow’s second race of the weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0