Jul 13, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series is racing tonight at Iowa Speedway, but tire manufacturer Goodyear has been busy preparing for the series’ upcoming dirt-track debut – the CarCash Mudsummer Classic presented by CNBC Prime’s “The Profit” on Wed., July 24 at Ohio’s Eldora Speedway.
Goodyear has based its tires for Eldora on a dirt modified tire that already exists in its line; however, the Eldora tires will be widened to 11 inches (from 10 inches) in order to give the drivers more grip.
Additionally, the tires will feature bias-ply construction (not as stiff as the radial tires usually found in NASCAR), a tread pattern to get rid of dirt quicker, and a relatively softer compound. The left-side versions will be built about three inches shorter than the right-side versions to provide additional stagger for better handling.
“The Trucks racing at Eldora is a historic event for NASCAR,” said Goodyear director of race tires Greg Stucker in a statement. “Building off our long history of making both dirt tires and NASCAR tires, this process has been both fun and challenging. The Eldora truck race will be a highlight of the 2013 NASCAR season, and Goodyear is proud to be a part of it.”
Goodyear originally tested a 10-inch tire last October at Eldora, with track owner and three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart, NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Austin Dillon, and NCWTS driver Ty Dillon handling those duties. Following that test, the manufacturer opted to go for an 11-inch tire, which was cleared for racing at Eldora following a second session with Ty Dillon at North Carolina dirt track 311 Speedway.
The “Mudsummer Classic” will be the first dirt-track event for a NASCAR national series in more than four decades. Anticipation has been strong for the race, which has been sold out since late January.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0