Jul 13, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
British driver Jack Hawksworth gained a measure of redemption for himself with a wire-to-wire victory in this afternoon’s Toronto 100 for the Firestone Indy Lights.
In the Lights’ last street race in April at Long Beach, Hawksworth triggered a three-car accident moments after the start of the race that collected Peter Dempsey and Zach Veach. In the immediate cleanup, Hawksworth was spotted kicking the air in frustration as he moved away from the scene.
But there was no such angst for him today at Exhibition Place, as he quickly went to work putting a big gap between himself and the rest of the field. At the checkered flag, Hawksworth won by 14.5 seconds over Peter Dempsey, completing a sweep of all of the Lights’ sessions this weekend.
“I said after Indy I still thought I was going to win [the championship], and that was after two accidents,” said Hawksworth after his second victory of the season. “There isn’t any reason why we can’t. We just take each practice session as it comes. We’re quite a lot of points behind; we’ve got a big hole to dig ourselves out of. But we’re enjoying it now. We’re back on the streets, and we’ve finally got a good result under our belts.
“Today was a fantastic performance, so we’ll enjoy today. Then we’ve got Mid-Ohio in a few weeks, so heads down and focus on that because you’re only as good as your last race. Today we won, but the next race could be a whole different story.”
Gabby Chaves finished third, followed by fourth-place Carlos Munoz, who was able to maintain his points lead over Sage Karam this afternoon. Karam found the tire barriers in Turn 3 on the opening lap and eventually finished sixth, one lap off the pace.
Munoz leads Karam in the points, 317-309, heading into the next Lights race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on Aug. 4.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)