Jul 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Ordinarily, we’d be able to take time after an IndyCar race and really analyze some of the key storylines in further detail.
After today’s Honda Indy Toronto, and everything that’s happened in post-race, that’s not really possible. So here’s some of the other little nuggets that have gone unwritten up to this point:
- The actual finishing order. Scott Dixon beats Sebastien Bourdais and Dario Franchitti. That much you knew. Marco Andretti, now, goes back to fourth, with Tony Kanaan fifth. The rest of the top 10: Helio Castroneves, Mike Conway, James Hinchcliffe, Simon Pagenaud and Simona de Silvestro. Here’s a link to the full box score.
- A few other stats. In 10th place, Simona de Silvestro has her first top-10 finish since Brazil early May (eight races ago). Mike Conway improved the most positions, from 20th to seventh in the second Dale Coyne Racing Honda. James Hinchcliffe has his best career Toronto finish of eighth. Also, Ed Carpenter improved from 23rd to 13th, and for him, that’s not a half bad result on a road or street course, at all.
- Four cautions for 14 laps. The number of laps under yellow, 14, is the same as occurred at Detroit, race one. Go figure.
- Power outage. Twice, Will Power outbraked himself going into Turn 3 after a deep dive passing attempt. The first was on Dixon, the second on Franchitti. Unfortunate given how he ran, but the Team Penske driver finished only 15th.
- Sensor drama. So you’re wondering what the reason is why Josef Newgarden’s car failed to engage for the standing start? Unfortunately for the Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing team and its talented sophomore driver, it was an engine sensor malfunction outside the team’s control.
- Rahal vs. Vautier. Bobby Rahal took to Twitter to explain his frustration with rookie Tristan Vautier after Vautier contacted Rahal’s son – and driver – Graham. “Simply put Vautier is over his head- desperate to make an impression regardless. If I was advising him I’d suggest finishing w/o drama,” the senior Rahal wrote.
- Briscoe on the mend? This from Panther Racing’s Ryan Briscoe, who got caught up in the Lap 65 four-car pileup: “Sitting at med centre now getting ready to go to the hospital for X-rays on my right wrist. Thanks for all the nice messages.”
- Points! My colleague Chris Estrada just expanded on this, but Castroneves survived the usual calamities of race one for yet another top-10 finish. Heading into race two, Castroneves (384) leads Ryan Hunter-Reay by 39 points, with Dixon now third, only three points behind “RHR.”
- The sun will rise again, tomorrow. After today, we get a second race, tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network. What’s not to love?
Oct 24, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
In a surprisingly candid admission, six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson says that while nothing is imminent, the day is coming when he and crew chief Chad Knaus will go their separate ways.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
In a bemusing video released Thursday, NASCAR star Kevin Harvick spent one of his recent off nights working the room at an Outback Steakhouse.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
On Thursday, Jeff Gordon delivered the one millionth meal served by one of Gordon’s key sponsors, the Drive To End Hunger.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:26 PM EDT
Jimmy Prock, who resigned earlier this week as crew chief for 16-time Funny Car champ John Force, has been hired by rival Don Schumacher Racing.
Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video)
Oct 24, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon said Friday he wants to return to host Saturday Night Live for a second time — and he wants to reprise the hysterical “Ricky Funck” character.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
A loose car and two brushes with the wall has put Kevin Harvick in a deep hole at the start of Sunday’s Eliminator Round opener.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
If racing at Martinsville Speedway was like buying an ice cream cone, Jamie McMurray double-dipped during Friday’s Sprint Cup qualifying, earning the pole and setting a new track speed record (99.905 mph) in the process.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
Both Blaney and Wallace are within 30 points of championship leader Matt Crafton going into tomorrow’s Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
A fifth win at Martinsville would put Hamlin into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Danica, who will swap CCs with teammate Kurt Busch starting next week at Texas, says she’s looking forward to working with the engineering-based Daniel Knost.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
GT/GTS races confirmed for split in 2015 by the Pirelli World Challenge series.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Gordon leads group of four Chasers in Top 5 speeds; all 8 remaining Chasers within Top 15.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Formula 1’s new technical regulations prompted Lotus to use a twin-tusk nose for 2014, but this could be scrapped for next season.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
The reigning Sprint Cup champion moves forward.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone allows the team to miss the next two races as it searches for a buyer.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Deputy team boss Federico Gastaldi says the team is close to finalizing its drive line-up, with Grosjean in pole position for the seat.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
A win for Kenseth this Sunday would also put him into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead next month.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Two-time Formula One World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi will make an appearance at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas next week as part of a COTA fan experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Ricciardo full of praise for Austin and the Circuit of the Americas ahead of next weekend’s race.
The man behind the sculptures: William Behrends’ presence endures for Borg-Warner Trophy, and Giants legends
Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Statues outside AT&T Park and the faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy share a common thread, in sculptor William Behrends.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5