Jul 13, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Kyle Busch had to withstand the maximum three attempts at a green-white-checkered finish before finally winning his seventh NASCAR Nationwide Series race of the season today at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
Fuel mileage became a major issue for drivers because of the G-W-C attempts, but Busch, who last pitted on Lap 119, was able to hang on and beat Brian Vickers by about half-a-second in the CNBC Prime’s “The Profit” 200 – a race that went 13 laps beyond its scheduled 200-lap distance.
“We pitted two laps after Brian, so I think that was part of it,” said Busch. “I think the other part of it too was Brian and the 3 [Austin Dillon] were running really, really hard trying to beat each other, obviously, and race really hard there.
“When I got out front with the two-second lead or whatever like that, I started rolling out of the gas early getting into the corners, not using a whole lot of brake and just kind of saving my tires, saving my brakes, saving the fuel and doing what I could to just be ready like [crew chief] Adam [Stevens] kept saying on the radio in case there is a green-white-checker to have something left to go race at the end.”
The first G-W-C attempt ended under caution as Landon Cassill ran out of fuel. That brought up G-W-C attempt No. 2, which also ended with a wreck involving Joey Logano, Parker Kligerman, and Paul Menard that triggered a short red flag period for cleanup.
Austin Dillon finished third to claim the $100,000 “Dash 4 Cash” bonus that was on the line between himself, Elliott Sadler, Kyle Larson and Sam Hornish Jr. Brian Scott and Michael Annett completed the Top 5.
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 0
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4