Jul 13, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Gunning for his first victory of 2013, Will Power has made his way to the front of the field and leads the Honda Indy Toronto at the halfway point.
Power took the lead from Sebastian Bourdais on Lap 32 shortly after the first cycle of green flag stops ended. Bourdais had managed to keep his advantage through the cycle, but was unable to stop Power from pulling off an inside pass in Turn 1 on the 1.75-mile Exhibition Place street circuit.
A full-course yellow on Lap 35 for contact between Tristan Vautier and Graham Rahal erased a two-second edge for Power, but he was able to hold off Bourdais on the next restart at Lap 40. Scott Dixon was able to pass Bourdais shortly after in Turn 3, moving to second position.
At halfway, pole sitter Dario Franchitti was running behind Bourdais in fourth, while Andretti Autosport’s E.J. Viso held the fifth position.
The race was set to begin with the IZOD IndyCar Series’ first-ever standing start, but when the field lined up on the main straightaway Josef Newgarden stalled on the grid and forced INDYCAR Race Control to declare an aborted start. That meant a traditional rolling start would take place instead, ruining the considerable buildup for the standing start.
As the race began under essentially yellow flag conditions, Newgarden would finally get on his way but again appeared to lose power on his No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda and came to a stop in Turn 5. That delayed the first green flag of the day further until Lap 5.
Franchitti would keep the lead until Lap 22, when Bourdais took it from him with an inside pass at Turn 5. Power and Dixon shortly followed, knocking Franchitti back to fourth.
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0