Jul 13, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Caterham driver Giedo van der Garde may not be producing the kind of results that Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso can boast of, but the Dutchman is hoping to inspire people in his native Holland to get people more interested in racing.
Speaking to Richland F1, van der Garde explained how he has noticed an increase in interest in the Netherlands since he entered Formula One at the beginning of the season.
“I think the interest in Holland is very good at the moment, I think the press is very positive and everybody’s happy that they have a new Dutch Formula One driver,” van der Garde explained.
“It’s good for the autosport there because it starts to grow again. I hope to get young kids to start to go-kart again and this is very good for the country, yes.”
van der Garde is not the only Dutch driver battling at the top end of motorsport, with youngster Robin Frijns widely expected to enter F1 in the near future.
“I think he [Frijns] is a very talented guy,” van der Garde said. “He’s coming up the ladder so let’s hope that he can get through to Formula One as well.”
Frijns will complete some running for Sauber at the upcoming Young Drivers’ Test as Dutch interest in Formula One continues to rise. Although the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort was scrapped back in 1975, if there is enough interest a return to the coastal resort could be on the cards.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 1
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 1
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 8
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)