Jul 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Times improved for the IZOD IndyCar Series in the Sunday morning warmup for the second race of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network). Eleven drivers clocked in with a time less than one minute around the 1.755-mile Exhibition Place street circuit.
Points leader Helio Castroneves of Team Penske led race one winner and race two polesitter Scott Dixon, with a 59.4705 ahead of a 59.4154. Dixon’s Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Dario Franchitti was third fastest.
Will Power (Penske) and James Hinchcliffe (Andretti Autosport) led an all power team-top five.
Sebastien Bourdais, Justin Wilson, Takuma Sato, E.J. Viso and Ryan Hunter-Reay rounded out the top 10.
In his first session for Panther Racing, Ryan Briscoe’s injury replacement Carlos Munoz ran 22 laps and posted a best time of 1:00.9032, ahead of Ed Carpenter at the rear of the field.
The unofficial grid is linked here. Briscoe was scheduled to start eighth in the No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing Chevrolet, before the driver change.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 4
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)