Jul 14, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Force India’s Bob Fernley has supported the FIA’s decision to allow teams to use full-time race drivers at the upcoming Young Drivers’ Test, saying that he is more comfortable having the new Pirelli tires tested by the same drivers who will use them.
The FIA’s decision has been questioned by many as it does undermine the purpose of giving young drivers a chance to test an F1 car, yet the move was taken following the fiasco that ensued at the British Grand Prix last month. For Fernley though, it would be unfair to test the tires using young drivers.
“The last thing you want to do is to put an untried tire on to Silverstone with young drivers,” Fernley told ESPNF1. “I think that it’s important for your own peace of mind as a team, and each team has to make its own decision.”
Teams are still able to test young drivers at Silverstone next week, but Ferrari and Toro Rosso have already confirmed that they will not be taking advantage of this in order to maximize the tire test available.
“I would feel more comfortable if our race drivers – having got the experience of the previous tyre to this one – were actually the first part of that process,” Fernley asserted.
The three day test will take place at Silverstone next week from 17th-19th July.
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 6
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0