Jul 14, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Newman was involved in a Lap 225 wreck that saw him get collected by Kurt Busch after he spun in front of Matt Kenseth. Kurt had been one of the strongest drivers in the field, but because of the incident, he wound up 31st despite leading 102 laps on Sunday.
When asked about his older brother’s trouble on the track, Kyle Busch proceeded to get a few shots in on Newman, who found out earlier this week that he would have to leave Stewart-Haas Racing at season’s end.
“I really hate it that Kurt got tore up and I felt like he had the best car here today,” Kyle said during a post-race show on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “He was definitely good. He could definitely roll the long runs for sure and I was proud of those guys, but man…Just stupidity.
“Ryan Newman is the biggest stupid idiot out here. He’s a big ogre and can do whatever he wants because he can probably kick anybody’s butt. So no sense getting in a fight with him. Glad he’s out of a job.”
Prior to that point, Newman had maintained that he’d been hit multiple times leading up to the crash with Kurt Busch.
“We just got whacked by a bunch of guys – Kyle hit me first, Brad [Keselowski] hit me next and then I guess it was Kurt that went underneath three-wide, clipped us, and knocked us into the fence and took himself out,” he said.
“That was the best I could tell. I don’t know. I guess [Kenseth] had a little influence on it. We kind of were in a bad spot having a little bit older tires…Just a lot of disrespect from a bunch of guys on restarts. What comes around goes around.”
- Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 0
- Social Roundup: IndyCar season-ending banquet 0
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 1
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 18