Jul 14, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Kurt Busch got another chance to seal the deal and claim his first win of the season, but a wreck during today’s Camping World RV Sales 301 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway made sure he’ll have to wait at least another week.
Going into Sunday, Busch had made his way into ninth place in the Sprint Cup championship and in the race, he proved to be one of the contenders by leading a stout 102 laps on the day. He was running in the Top 10 at Lap 225, when the back end of his No. 78 Furniture Row Racing Chevrolet spun around directly in front of Matt Kenseth.
Ryan Newman, running on the high line, was collected by Busch in the process, while the oncoming Kasey Kahne proceeded to tag Kenseth from behind. But while Kahne and Kenseth were able to continue on directly after the incident, Busch was forced to wait out repairs in the garage before coming back to finish 31st. Newman’s car was unsalvageable, and he finished 39th.
“I just got hit from behind,” said Busch. “There was three-wide action, everybody’s going hard…Kenseth was in the middle and he was in the middle on the back straightaway. The car gets light when there is no air on the rear spoiler back there.”
The 31st-place result caused him to fall five spots to 14th in the standings, seven points out of Kahne in 10th place – and Busch knows that he can’t deal with more problems if he wants to make the post-season.
“We took a hit in the points, but we’re still in the Chase hunt – that’s the good news,” he said to NASCAR.com. “But we need to have more consistency and can’t have these kinds of finishes with only seven races remaining before the Chase.”
- WATCH LIVE: Monaco GP Race Day on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7am, NBC from 7:30am 0
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0