Jul 14, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
A few news and notes on the days of those who finished in fourth through 10th in the Honda Indy Toronto second race of the IZOD IndyCar Series doubleheader weekend are below:
- Fourth-placed Dario Franchitti recovered from opening lap contact with Will Power going into Turn 3 and an early pit stop after the first lap. He switched from Firestone red alternate tires onto blacks, which he was able to run the remainder of the day. The first caution on Lap 65 was a godsend for him, as he could afford to make his final stop of the day and not lose track position.
- Fifth-placed E.J. Viso was best of the four-car Andretti Autosport quartet, ending a rough weekend for that group. It’s Viso’s first top-five finish on a road or street course in 2013, and second in total this year.
- Charlie Kimball wasn’t able to match his runner-up finish scored at Toronto last year, or his runner-up at Pocono last weekend, but a solid, consistent 15thh to sixth run kept him on the verge of the top 10 in points. He’s 11th, and just one point behind Will Power at race end (273-272).
- Mike Conway surged from 23rd on the grid to 13th just in the opening three or four laps, and enjoyed a more casual climb from there to end in seventh for the second day running for Dale Coyne Racing. Conway, who has started only five IndyCar races all season, has just three fewer points than Sebastian Saavedra of Dragon Racing, who’s run all 12…
- Justin Wilson wasn’t a factor although he tended to run longer on fuel stints. Respectable if unspectacular, eighth for Coyne’s lone full season driver keeps him ninth in the standings.
- Marco Andretti ended a relatively anonymous ninth, but still improved eight spots from a tough grid position of 17th. At 70 points back of points leader Helio Castroneves, he needs a late surge and some wins to stay in title contention.
- Last in the top 10 but certainly not least, a needed, needed 10th place for Alex Tagliani and the Barracuda Racing/Bryan Herta Autosport team. Tagliani started eighth and avoided the pitfalls or poor luck that have often plagued his season. It’s hardly a monumental result, but here’s hoping that his and the team’s first top-10 finish since the St. Petersburg season opener can be the momentum kick for the rest of 2013.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
Conor Daly finally set for an IndyCar test this offseason, with SPM.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:33 PM EST
After coming so close last season, Ryan Newman is ready to fight for the Sprint Cup championship in 2015 — and he’s bringing his brass knuckles to give him a hand.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:01 PM EST
Car owner Rick Hendrick said he consulted with Jeff Gordon about if to retire the No. 24 after this season.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:42 PM EST
One week after announcing he was retiring after the 2015 season, Jeff Gordon told NASCAR America that he wants to win his final Daytona 500 and also walk away with his fifth career Sprint Cup championship.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 PM EST
IndyCar’s Brasilia, Brazil race set for March 8 has been canceled.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Jimmie Johnson will again embark on a quest for his seventh Cup title, but he acknowledged and embraced Thursday he’s not the story at Hendrick Motorsports for 2015.
Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship
Jan 29, 2015, 4:12 PM EST
There’s nothing like putting a little pressure on a guy, especially in his final season. Team owner Rick Hendrick expects Jeff Gordon to win 14 races and the championship in 2015!
Jan 29, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Today’s NASCAR AMERICA runs for an hour and has a heavy No. 24 theme.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Ganassi, Sabates praise McMurray’s start to 2015.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:41 PM EST
Although he grew up a Jeff Gordon fan and was counseled by Gordon on his future, Kyle Larson will watch someone else drive the No. 24.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:35 PM EST
Fresh off a team win in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, Kyle Larson not only is keeping time better, he says it’s also time to win some races and contend for the Sprint Cup championship in 2015.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:52 PM EST
The 2014 Xfinity Series champion is announced as Jeff Gordon’s successor a day before his father, Bill Elliott, is inducted in the Hall of Fame.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
British youngster will combine this role with a full season in GP2 with DAMS.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:10 PM EST
The 2014 Xfinity Series champion will make his Sprint Cup debut in March before moving full time to NASCAR’s premier series in 2016.
Dover Motorsports Inc. releases earnings report, sets sale of Nashville Superspeedway for end of February
Jan 29, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Dover Motorsports Inc., one of only two independent track ownership groups in NASCAR, released its fourth quarter and yearly earnings report on Thursday. That included significant news on the pending sale of the DMI-owned Nashville Superspeedway.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:20 AM EST
After a winless 2014, wins are the priority for Richard Childress Racing in 2015.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Nico Rosberg takes the new Mercedes for a spin at Silverstone, and the team is not afraid to show it off.
Video from NASCAR America
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 1
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 1
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 3
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 8
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0
- McLaren reveals Honda-powered MP4-30 for 2015 F1 season 2