Jul 14, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
A few news and notes on the days of those who finished in fourth through 10th in the Honda Indy Toronto second race of the IZOD IndyCar Series doubleheader weekend are below:
- Fourth-placed Dario Franchitti recovered from opening lap contact with Will Power going into Turn 3 and an early pit stop after the first lap. He switched from Firestone red alternate tires onto blacks, which he was able to run the remainder of the day. The first caution on Lap 65 was a godsend for him, as he could afford to make his final stop of the day and not lose track position.
- Fifth-placed E.J. Viso was best of the four-car Andretti Autosport quartet, ending a rough weekend for that group. It’s Viso’s first top-five finish on a road or street course in 2013, and second in total this year.
- Charlie Kimball wasn’t able to match his runner-up finish scored at Toronto last year, or his runner-up at Pocono last weekend, but a solid, consistent 15thh to sixth run kept him on the verge of the top 10 in points. He’s 11th, and just one point behind Will Power at race end (273-272).
- Mike Conway surged from 23rd on the grid to 13th just in the opening three or four laps, and enjoyed a more casual climb from there to end in seventh for the second day running for Dale Coyne Racing. Conway, who has started only five IndyCar races all season, has just three fewer points than Sebastian Saavedra of Dragon Racing, who’s run all 12…
- Justin Wilson wasn’t a factor although he tended to run longer on fuel stints. Respectable if unspectacular, eighth for Coyne’s lone full season driver keeps him ninth in the standings.
- Marco Andretti ended a relatively anonymous ninth, but still improved eight spots from a tough grid position of 17th. At 70 points back of points leader Helio Castroneves, he needs a late surge and some wins to stay in title contention.
- Last in the top 10 but certainly not least, a needed, needed 10th place for Alex Tagliani and the Barracuda Racing/Bryan Herta Autosport team. Tagliani started eighth and avoided the pitfalls or poor luck that have often plagued his season. It’s hardly a monumental result, but here’s hoping that his and the team’s first top-10 finish since the St. Petersburg season opener can be the momentum kick for the rest of 2013.
Jul 26, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton looks to continue his clean sweep of practice in Hungary.
Jul 26, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
BROWNSBURG, Ind. – In an exciting finish that featured plenty of beating and banging, Kyle Busch waited until the final turn of the final lap to get by John Hunter Nemechek and win Friday night’s ARCA CRA Super Series Circle City 100 late-model event at Lucas Oil Raceway.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Action Express wins Indy; RSR, Viper and Ferrari the other TUDOR Championship class winners.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
After Tanner Foust emerged as the victor of a riotous final in New York, the beat goes on for Red Bull GRC this weekend with a trip to The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
On Friday’s edition, the NASCAR America crew discussed the favorites for Sunday’s Brickyard 400. And not surprisingly, Jimmie Johnson is the easy pick — but there are a few other drivers who could contend.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
On Friday’s edition of NASCAR America, Sam Hornish Jr. joined Leigh Diffey to discuss Jimmie Johnson’s quest for his fifth Brickyard 400 win. Hornish noted that Johnson’s first win at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a positive turning point for his team.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
On Friday’s NASCAR America, Clint Bowyer talked about handling Indianapolis Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s 21st annual Brickyard 400, as well as his teams’ improvement and his hopes of getting into and winning the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
After a long day of testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Penske Racing teammates Juan Pablo Montoya and Will Power went to see a movie Wednesday in Mansfield, Ohio. Check out Montoya’s hilarious tale about what they saw.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
“Every day I wake up and I’m like, ‘Yes, let’s do it again.’ Then there are thoughts of ‘I finished sixth, that’s pretty special.’ I don’t know if I could achieve that result again.” – Outlaw
Jul 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
INDIANAPOLIS – Juan Pablo Montoya has twice come close to winning the Brickyard 400, only to suffer maladies that kept him from kissing the finish line bricks at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in celebration.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The former Sprint Cup champion steps behind the counter and serves up cold ones…Of truth.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
INDIANAPOLIS — Everyone seems to be concerned Matt Kenseth hasn’t won a race thus far in 2014 – everyone, that is, except Kenseth himself.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
The four-time Brickyard 400 champion says he had to go against his “natural tendencies” as a driver in order to become as successful as he has been at Indy.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
All of the latest news and analysis from the paddock at the Hungaroring.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Red Bull leading the race for the podium in Hungary, but Ricciardo still has some concerns.
WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 pm ET — Hornish on nuances of Indy, JJ and Bowyer, Indiana racing history
Jul 25, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
On Friday’s edition of NASCAR America, Leigh Diffey will again be joined in-studio by 2006 Indianapolis 500 winner and 2014 Nationwide Series Iowa winner Sam Hornish Jr.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
P1 and P2 in both practice sessions, but not 100% where they want to be.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Defending Brickyard 400 winner would push for mid-week races if he were in charge of creating the Sprint Cup schedule.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
INDIANAPOLIS – Matt Kenseth took the first step towards his first win of 2014 – and his first career win in the Brickyard 400 – recording the fastest speed in Friday’s sole Sprint Cup practice session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Brembo and Mercedes release a joint statement concerning the incident during qualifying for the German Grand Prix.