Jul 14, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
A few news and notes on the days of those who finished in fourth through 10th in the Honda Indy Toronto second race of the IZOD IndyCar Series doubleheader weekend are below:
- Fourth-placed Dario Franchitti recovered from opening lap contact with Will Power going into Turn 3 and an early pit stop after the first lap. He switched from Firestone red alternate tires onto blacks, which he was able to run the remainder of the day. The first caution on Lap 65 was a godsend for him, as he could afford to make his final stop of the day and not lose track position.
- Fifth-placed E.J. Viso was best of the four-car Andretti Autosport quartet, ending a rough weekend for that group. It’s Viso’s first top-five finish on a road or street course in 2013, and second in total this year.
- Charlie Kimball wasn’t able to match his runner-up finish scored at Toronto last year, or his runner-up at Pocono last weekend, but a solid, consistent 15thh to sixth run kept him on the verge of the top 10 in points. He’s 11th, and just one point behind Will Power at race end (273-272).
- Mike Conway surged from 23rd on the grid to 13th just in the opening three or four laps, and enjoyed a more casual climb from there to end in seventh for the second day running for Dale Coyne Racing. Conway, who has started only five IndyCar races all season, has just three fewer points than Sebastian Saavedra of Dragon Racing, who’s run all 12…
- Justin Wilson wasn’t a factor although he tended to run longer on fuel stints. Respectable if unspectacular, eighth for Coyne’s lone full season driver keeps him ninth in the standings.
- Marco Andretti ended a relatively anonymous ninth, but still improved eight spots from a tough grid position of 17th. At 70 points back of points leader Helio Castroneves, he needs a late surge and some wins to stay in title contention.
- Last in the top 10 but certainly not least, a needed, needed 10th place for Alex Tagliani and the Barracuda Racing/Bryan Herta Autosport team. Tagliani started eighth and avoided the pitfalls or poor luck that have often plagued his season. It’s hardly a monumental result, but here’s hoping that his and the team’s first top-10 finish since the St. Petersburg season opener can be the momentum kick for the rest of 2013.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Helio Castroneves on pole; Will Power struggles to P21 for Verizon IndyCar Series qualifying.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
The Nationwide Series rookie and Sprint Cup regular top today’s two practice sessions ahead of tomorrow night’s Great Clips 300 benefiting Feed The Children.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — According to Jeff Gordon, the last three Sprint Cup races just weren’t quite the same without Tony Stewart. Gordon is glad Stewart is back.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Danica Patrick, Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Greg Biffle, Ryan Newman, and Brian Vickers share their thoughts on Tony Stewart getting back behind the wheel in Atlanta.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The 500-mile shootout may be late Saturday night in Fontana, but still promises a bevy of story lines for the Verizon IndyCar Series season finale.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan also reports on the atmosphere around Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this.” – Stewart Haas Racing’s Brett Frood
Aug 29, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Brian Vickers and other winless drivers are facing big-time pressure to get a victory in the final races of the regular season.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Porsche GT-Cup class class to enter into Pirelli World Challenge in 2015.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Coming up today: More on the return of Tony Stewart at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Houston gone and momentum grows for Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, if a date can be found, for IndyCar.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Following an emotional press conference this morning, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion got back to work.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — Tony Stewart didn’t just wake up Friday morning and decide he was going to return to NASCAR racing. Rather, NASCAR officials required that Stewart followed procedures and protocols that included him being evaluated by outside professionals.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – Tony Stewart is still eligible to make this year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup, NASCAR president Mike Helton announced Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway. But for that to happen, Stewart must win one of the next two races to get in.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — NASCAR president Mike Helton spoke with the media an hour after Tony Stewart read his self-prepared statement Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero makes his first statement on the Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. crash investigation since Aug. 12.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – Stewart-Haas Racing teammates Danica Patrick and Kurt Busch are fully in support of their boss, Tony Stewart, being back in a race car this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
After reading from a prepared statement, Stewart left to prepare for Sprint Cup practice this afternoon. Stewart Haas Racing executive VP Brett Frood then took questions from the assembled media.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Will Power on top in opening MAVTV 500 practice session.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – A visibly somber Tony Stewart, at times bordering on tears, faced the media and the NASCAR world for the first time in nearly three weeks Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- Castroneves secures crucial MAVTV 500 pole; Power starts P21 for IndyCar finale 0
- Jeff Gordon: Last 3 races weren’t the same without Tony Stewart 1
- IndyCar has 500 miles to glory, through speed, dirt, tire fall off and unpredictability 0
- How NASCAR determined Tony Stewart was ready to race again 3
- Helton: Tony Stewart still eligible for Chase, but must win to get in 2
- Sheriff: Stewart crash investigation to continue “for at least another 2 weeks” 8
- Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick glad to see boss, teammate and friend Tony Stewart back in race car 0