Jul 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Peter Sauber is confident that his team will be in Formula One “for many years” despite the team reportedly needing $30m to make it to the end of the season.
Speaking to Swiss publication Blick, Sauber admitted that some investment was needed but he is confident that the money will be found.
“We will not only see out this season to the end, but we will still be in Formula One for many years,” Sauber explained. “I am convinced. The negotiations which we have been involved are close to reaching a conclusion. I’m convinced that we will succeed in getting a rescue.”
Sauber made no secret of how serious the situation was, but he rubbished reports stating that employees at Hinwil had not been paid.
“The situation is serious. It is one of the most difficult situations since I’ve been in motorsport,” the team boss explained.
“For many, we’ve been a very good and a very reliable partner for years. Obviously I’m sorry for any supplier who has had to wait for his money. We have not had to lay anyone off yet and have paid wages on time.”
Sauber’s optimism will sooth many fans of the team, and the fact that negotiations are ‘reaching a conclusion’ will please many in Formula One who are keen on seeing the team enter its twentieth year in F1 next season.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)