Jul 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Scott Dixon won everything but the lottery this weekend in Toronto, and hell, if he stayed in town for a few more days you’d have to put odds on him for that versus the field, too.
Still, there were others besides the New Zealander who starred during the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader weekend. Dixon’s numbers are listed below, among them, with the rest of the standouts and winners from the two days of racing.
- Scott Dixon. Two wins, one pole, 95 laps led, 105 of a maximum 108 points scored and closed to within 29 points of the IZOD IndyCar Series championship lead. Oh, and an extra $100,000 from SONAX for sweeping the double. Yeah, I’d say it was a pretty good weekend for the quiet, ninja Kiwi assassin from Target Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Sebastien Bourdais. Cal Naughton Jr. famously once said, “Frenchie can drive.” It’s not that Bourdais forgot his craft, but after dwelling in anonymity and frustration for the first 11 races of the year, back-to-back podiums have revitalized him and Jay Penske’s Dragon Racing organization. He and new engineer Tom Brown have almost immediately gelled. He said this weekend that Toronto has been his springboard the last two years, and looks to make 2013 a three-peat of recoveries.
- Dario Franchitti. Remember when Franchitti was 26th and last in points after the first two races? Yeah, me neither, except I have to bring that up to note how far he has come since. A reinstated third on Saturday and fourth on Sunday, after a comeback from an early tire issue, makes it nine top-10 finishes in the last 11 races, and Franchitti has recovered to seventh place in the championship.
- Mike Conway. The biggest problem for Conway this weekend is that he set the bar so high at Detroit that a repeat was almost expected. So when he had back-to-back miserable qualifying runs of 20th and 23rd, with a setup that didn’t take as kindly to the streets of Toronto as Detroit, there were some who counted him out. But he charged through the field on both occasions, including some ballsy outside passes at Turn 3, to end with a pair of sevenths in Dale Coyne’s second car. He’s also confirmed for Houston, but there’s still a good chance we’ll see him before.
- The Honda Indy Toronto fans. Yes, they got the short end of the stick on Saturday with the aborted standing start, and voiced their displeasure with a chorus of boos you could have heard in Edmonton. But to INDYCAR and the promoter’s combined credit, they made sure to enhance the weekend for the ticket-buyers and try it again on Sunday. As Marco Andretti said after Saturday, the series should do what the fans wanted. Not to mention, there were five other series on the weekend docket, and that made it worth every penny to attend in person.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Indy Racing Experience has partnered with Make-A-Wish® Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana to enhance two wishes during the Kroger Brickyard Super Weekend that takes place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway July 24-27, 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay earns another award after his Indianapolis 500 win.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Pirelli World Challenge President/CEO Scott Bove and 15-year-old rising star Austin Cindric to race a GTS Ford Mustang Boss for charity at Mid-Ohio weekend.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Sauber driver pleased with his pace in Germany, and cares little for the question marks about his future.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Italian tire supplier confirms its selections for the Belgian, Italian and Singapore Grands Prix.
Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close
Jul 24, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
While it’s seemed Marcos Ambrose was a lock to return to Richard Petty Motorsports, especially with all the positive things he’s said about wanting to stay in recent weeks and months, a report Thursday has Ambrose leaving NASCAR after this season and returning to his native Australia to race V8 Supercars — potentially for a new team owned by iconic American race team owner Roger Penske.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Ferrari driver has few qualms about Kimi’s difficulties in 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte will be returning to race at the fabled Indianapolis Motor Speedway in this Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Our writing team makes its predictions for this weekend’s race at the Hungaroring.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
American youngster joins Marussia as its official reserve driver with immediate effect.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Brazilian driver compares it to incident at the beginning of the Australian Grand Prix with Kamui Kobayashi.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Formula 1 will return to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez next year for the first time since 1992.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One final chapter to the first half of the 2014 F1 season at the Hungaroring this weekend, a track that has suited Lewis Hamilton very well over the years.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Six teams, 17 cars set to test at Mid-Ohio ahead of IndyCar race there next week.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. and Kyle Larson put on a spectacular battle in the final 40-lap segment of Wednesday’s second MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, but it was Wallace holding on for the win.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Darrell Wallace Jr. continues to lead after 110 laps (at the time of a second and final mandatory competition caution) in Wednesday night’s MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
At the end of the first segment of Wednesday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, it’s Darrell Wallace Jr. in the lead.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Thanks to a statistical quirk, Kurt Busch is ranked in the same place in the points standings in both the Sprint Cup Series and Verizon IndyCar Series.
- Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close 4
- MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP 0
- Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver 2
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Preview 3
- Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated) 3