Jul 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Scott Dixon won everything but the lottery this weekend in Toronto, and hell, if he stayed in town for a few more days you’d have to put odds on him for that versus the field, too.
Still, there were others besides the New Zealander who starred during the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader weekend. Dixon’s numbers are listed below, among them, with the rest of the standouts and winners from the two days of racing.
- Scott Dixon. Two wins, one pole, 95 laps led, 105 of a maximum 108 points scored and closed to within 29 points of the IZOD IndyCar Series championship lead. Oh, and an extra $100,000 from SONAX for sweeping the double. Yeah, I’d say it was a pretty good weekend for the quiet, ninja Kiwi assassin from Target Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Sebastien Bourdais. Cal Naughton Jr. famously once said, “Frenchie can drive.” It’s not that Bourdais forgot his craft, but after dwelling in anonymity and frustration for the first 11 races of the year, back-to-back podiums have revitalized him and Jay Penske’s Dragon Racing organization. He and new engineer Tom Brown have almost immediately gelled. He said this weekend that Toronto has been his springboard the last two years, and looks to make 2013 a three-peat of recoveries.
- Dario Franchitti. Remember when Franchitti was 26th and last in points after the first two races? Yeah, me neither, except I have to bring that up to note how far he has come since. A reinstated third on Saturday and fourth on Sunday, after a comeback from an early tire issue, makes it nine top-10 finishes in the last 11 races, and Franchitti has recovered to seventh place in the championship.
- Mike Conway. The biggest problem for Conway this weekend is that he set the bar so high at Detroit that a repeat was almost expected. So when he had back-to-back miserable qualifying runs of 20th and 23rd, with a setup that didn’t take as kindly to the streets of Toronto as Detroit, there were some who counted him out. But he charged through the field on both occasions, including some ballsy outside passes at Turn 3, to end with a pair of sevenths in Dale Coyne’s second car. He’s also confirmed for Houston, but there’s still a good chance we’ll see him before.
- The Honda Indy Toronto fans. Yes, they got the short end of the stick on Saturday with the aborted standing start, and voiced their displeasure with a chorus of boos you could have heard in Edmonton. But to INDYCAR and the promoter’s combined credit, they made sure to enhance the weekend for the ticket-buyers and try it again on Sunday. As Marco Andretti said after Saturday, the series should do what the fans wanted. Not to mention, there were five other series on the weekend docket, and that made it worth every penny to attend in person.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Carl Edwards and Kasey Kahne check in on the Contender round of the new Chase format.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Jimmie Johnson not a fan of the “under the radar” terminology.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
A P2 penalty issued to No. 20 NASCAR Truck team upheld after appeal.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Bailiffs seize goods at Leafield, but Caterham issues a statement saying that it is business as usual.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America goes in-depth with all 12 drivers in Round 2 of the Chase for the Sprint Cup, also known as the Contenders Round.
Report: Australian-owned team, driver and sponsor to debut in NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in 2015
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
While Marcos Ambrose is returning to his native Australia after this season, a new Australian-owned team is set to make its debut in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series next season, complete with an Australian-born driver and Aussie primary sponsor.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Bill Elliott figured real estate would be a good investment many years ago, and did that belief ever pay off for the soon-to-be NASCAR Hall of Famer.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Kawasaki officially announced that reigning supercross champion Ryan Villopoto will head to Europe next year to race the MXGP series. Davi Millsaps and Wil Hahn will replace him on the American Monster Energy Kawasaki team.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
He’s reached the fourth round of Dancing With The Stars, but will NASCAR’s Michael Waltrip and partner Emma Slater make it to the fifth round?
Oct 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Jeff Gordon is now just three top-10 finishes away from tying Mark Martin for second most top-10s in a career. And in an ironic twist, Gordon is still seeking his first pole at this Sunday’s race venue, Kansas Motor Speedway.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
More details revealed ahead of Honda’s return to F1 in 2015 with McLaren.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Clint Bowyer’s officially a father.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Veteran NASCAR crew chief Mike Ford has joined Athenian Motorsports, the Nationwide Series team announced Wednesday.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
Sauber confirms that her testing programme has been scrapped due to “financial reasons”.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“Driver 88″ discusses his performance issues in the Challenger Round with NASCAR AMERICA’s Rick Allen.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
How do you prepare for two races and then a free-for-all at Talladega? Rick Allen and Kyle Petty of NASCAR AMERICA discuss.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Also: Crew chief in same series fined, put on probation for car weight issue from last weekend at Dover.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Williams’ gap on Ferrari for third in the Constructors’ Championship is down to nine points going into this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Also coming up today: A closer look at the Contender Round tracks and who’s been successful at them; Joe Gibbs Racing focusing on continued momentum at Kansas; more radio goodness with the Dover Chase edition of “Scan All 43.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Sixteenth in the 2014 IndyCar season was rookie Mikhail Aleshin, ever the fighter.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 7
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3