Jul 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Scott Dixon won everything but the lottery this weekend in Toronto, and hell, if he stayed in town for a few more days you’d have to put odds on him for that versus the field, too.
Still, there were others besides the New Zealander who starred during the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader weekend. Dixon’s numbers are listed below, among them, with the rest of the standouts and winners from the two days of racing.
- Scott Dixon. Two wins, one pole, 95 laps led, 105 of a maximum 108 points scored and closed to within 29 points of the IZOD IndyCar Series championship lead. Oh, and an extra $100,000 from SONAX for sweeping the double. Yeah, I’d say it was a pretty good weekend for the quiet, ninja Kiwi assassin from Target Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Sebastien Bourdais. Cal Naughton Jr. famously once said, “Frenchie can drive.” It’s not that Bourdais forgot his craft, but after dwelling in anonymity and frustration for the first 11 races of the year, back-to-back podiums have revitalized him and Jay Penske’s Dragon Racing organization. He and new engineer Tom Brown have almost immediately gelled. He said this weekend that Toronto has been his springboard the last two years, and looks to make 2013 a three-peat of recoveries.
- Dario Franchitti. Remember when Franchitti was 26th and last in points after the first two races? Yeah, me neither, except I have to bring that up to note how far he has come since. A reinstated third on Saturday and fourth on Sunday, after a comeback from an early tire issue, makes it nine top-10 finishes in the last 11 races, and Franchitti has recovered to seventh place in the championship.
- Mike Conway. The biggest problem for Conway this weekend is that he set the bar so high at Detroit that a repeat was almost expected. So when he had back-to-back miserable qualifying runs of 20th and 23rd, with a setup that didn’t take as kindly to the streets of Toronto as Detroit, there were some who counted him out. But he charged through the field on both occasions, including some ballsy outside passes at Turn 3, to end with a pair of sevenths in Dale Coyne’s second car. He’s also confirmed for Houston, but there’s still a good chance we’ll see him before.
- The Honda Indy Toronto fans. Yes, they got the short end of the stick on Saturday with the aborted standing start, and voiced their displeasure with a chorus of boos you could have heard in Edmonton. But to INDYCAR and the promoter’s combined credit, they made sure to enhance the weekend for the ticket-buyers and try it again on Sunday. As Marco Andretti said after Saturday, the series should do what the fans wanted. Not to mention, there were five other series on the weekend docket, and that made it worth every penny to attend in person.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Phoenix winner only driver north of 190mph in Las Vegas test.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
BHA rookie admits slight surprise in taking the reins of team’s No. 98 entry.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
Series seeks marketing/promotional growth to match solid on-track product.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Townsend Bell, Bill Sweedler to continue in AIM-run Ferrari in TUDOR Championship.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Regulations change plus a solid preseason leaves Sir Frank bullish on Williams’ 2014 outlook.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
NASCAR’s open test takes place this afternoon and into the early evening at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s Kobalt 400, the third round of the already-flying 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Actor Jonathan Goldsmith to give “the Most Interesting Command in the World.”
Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video)
Mar 6, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
After teasing us a few days ago with a brief video of what was to come, the first episode of Smokey Is The Bandit, featuring NASCAR star Tony Stewart, is out.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
Funny Car driver Alexis DeJoria is already having a dream season – and she’s only two races into the 24-race 2014 NHRA schedule.
Mar 6, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Although this is no laughing matter, one of comedian Larry the Cable Guy’s signature lines — “That ain’t right” – is quite appropriate in this instance. According to MotorAuthority.com, Chrysler officials have recalled 93 Dodge Vipers that were donated to schools and colleges around the U.S. for educational purposes. But the cars aren’t being recalled…
Mar 6, 2014, 12:31 PM EST
NHRA star Antron Brown is watching the career of budding NASCAR star Darrell “Bubba” Wallace quite closely.
Mar 6, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
For the first time in more than 30 years, the name “Bernstein” will not be on the qualifying grid for next week’s NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla.
Mar 6, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Pop quiz: Who has been the most consistent driver in Sprint Cup over nearly the last dozen races, dating back to the latter part of last season?
Mar 6, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
It’s been a question for the ages: which is faster, the Snake or the Mongoo$e? It’s a question that was arguably one of the most-asked during the late 1960s and 1970s when Don “The Snake” Prudhomme and Tom “The Mongoo$e” (yes, there was a $ instead of an “s”) McEwen engaged in one of the…
Mar 6, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Rider learns from Simon Pagenaud, Josef Newgarden before sampling HPD simulator.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
Iconic lines, livery return to F1 aboard the FW36-Mercedes.
Mar 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Simon Pagenaud, Mikhail Aleshin lap the Homestead-Miami road course on Tuesday.
Mar 5, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Potential new family addition for Menard could see Crafton make his Sprint Cup debut.
Mar 5, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Fresh livery for the 88 at Las Vegas.
Mar 5, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the day before an open test at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, site of the third round of the already-flying 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. Today, on NASCAR AMERICA (5 p.m. ET on NBCSN and online on NBC Sports Live Extra), there will be more of a preview of the 400-mile race that sees…
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)