Jul 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Honda have confirmed they will not track-test their F1 engine for the 2015 season until after the end of next year.
The Japanese manufacturer is returning to Formula One with McLaren and building a 1.6-litre V6 engine for the new power train regulations.
As Honda is not involved in F1 at present it is not bound by the ban on testing, leading to speculation Honda could use that to accelerate its development program.
But Honda motorsport chief Yasuhisa Arai told Autosport that will not happen:
“In terms of the timing of when you will be able to see the engine running in the actual vehicle, maybe it will be around [January/February 2015]. We are hoping we will get to show our engine at that time.”
However Arai indicated that testing the engine out of the car would be better in some ways: “I think it is going to be more efficient to use the dyno. Maybe that is going to give us more benefits.”
In 2014 McLaren will use Mercedes engine for the final season in a partnership which will have lasted 20 years. The team previously used Honda power from 1988 to 1992, during which time V6 turbo, V10 and V12 power plants were all used.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 2
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10